Zeo Headband - Think I've Got It!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jay Aitchsee

Re: Zeo Headband - UPDATE

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 am

Had any success yet?

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:Had any success yet?
I decided to use the Zeo during one of my afternoon "snoozes" in my recliner. I frequently just doze off in my chair and usually without the mask, so I did one on purpose yesterday to see if the Zeo would be an issue.

The Zeo listed total time as 48 minutes, but I'm guessing it doesn't include "time to Z" in that calculation since I know I was down from about 1:45 to 3:10 or so.

It didn't irritate my head at all, so while it wasn't all night, it seems reasonable to conclude that the forehead support on the mask is pushing down too much on the Zeo, causing it to rub.

I will try loosening the mask forehead area as much as I can, but if it doesn't work, I've got 3-5 days of that rash before I can try again.

I am NOT good at dismantling and "rigging" things so I'm not comfortable messing with my mask.

I HAVE looked at FFM masks without the forehead support (on cpap.com) and might try one to use just on those nights I want to use the Zeo. But I'm not too interested in spending the money right now. I *might* also see if my DME might bring a couple for me to try the next time I see my RT, but that won't be for a couple months.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Well, that does sound like some progress. I was curious as to how you were doing. I wish I could recommend a mask, but I've haven't found a FFM without the forehead piece that didn't leak. However, lots of other people seem to have made the Quattro FX work for them.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 pm

The F&P 431 is the ONLY mask I have ever been able to use that was comfortable enough to use all night and didn't leak like crazy. I'm not overly optimistic that any of the ones without the forehead support will work either, but would be willing to try if it means I can use the Zeo on an occasional basis. I like the information that the Zeo provides.

But at least I'm reasonably certain, now, that it's not a metal allergy and is from too much pressure & rubbing of the Zeo sensors.

My plan is to attempt the Zeo again, with the forehead support loosened as much as possible, and see how that goes. Fortunately, the Trilogy has a big display screen that shows the leakage in real time so I can see if it is workable before I get into a good sleep. Hopefully, I can find the right balance between mask tightening and the Zeo to get a decent seal without too much pressure on my forehead.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 am

I have run this "situation" by my husband and we think we might be able to remove the silicone piece on the forehead support (F&P 431) and replace it with something thinner (like fabric) thus allowing more space between it and the Zeo.

*IF* we are successful and it allows me to use the mask with the Zeo, and without leaking issues, I'll keep the modified mask for use with the Zeo and get another mask out for regular nights.

As soon as we can play with this (hopefully this weekend) we'll do it and I'll post the results.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:35 am

Madalot wrote:I have run this "situation" by my husband and we think we might be able to remove the silicone piece on the forehead support (F&P 431) and replace it with something thinner (like fabric) thus allowing more space between it and the Zeo.
I think that may well work.
See A.T.'s thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86162&p=784796#p784796

J

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 pm

My husband and I worked on this today. It turns out, the silicone piece on the forehead rest is removable. We took it out, loosening the headgear straps slightly, then put it on over the Zeo. With the silicone removed, it doesn't even hit the Zeo. My husband was able to put his finger between the forehead support & the Zeo.

I am going to attempt to sleep with the mask & Zeo, with the silicone piece removed, tonight (if I remember to take my phone back with me). If it feels like it's going to continue to be a problem, I will take off the Zeo, put the silicone piece back in (we tested to make sure *I* can do it) and sleep without the Zeo. If that happens, we'll keep working on this until we figure it out.

I'd like to find a way to keep using the F&P431 so I'm crossing my fingers that this works.

Madalot

Re: Zeo Headband - Think I've Got It!

Post by Madalot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:03 am

I think the simple removal of the silicone piece on the forehead support is the answer (for me anyway). Used the Zeo last night and while I haven't inspected my forehead, it is NOT sore. I'm thinking that I've got it!!!

I haven't been sleeping as well as I would like for the last week or so (Zeo confirms this).

Here's what last night looked like:

For those, like me, that can't see the entire picture:

Total: 5:56
REM: 0:55
Light: 4:06
Deep: 0:55
Wake: 0:54
Woke: 9X
Time to Z: 0:08

I know ONE of the awakenings was because my cleaning people hit an alarm button on my bathroom ipod docking station. Ipod starting blasting at 3am. Got to remember to check that from now on after they leave!!

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:13 am

Yay

wildflowertx

Post by wildflowertx » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Glad you got it working better for you! I like my Zeo, even though I know it's not perfect it does help at least give me an idea of what's going on and that's pretty much the whole point.

Steph

Treatment started 11/27/12

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:53 pm

wildflowertx wrote:Glad you got it working better for you! I like my Zeo, even though I know it's not perfect it does help at least give me an idea of what's going on and that's pretty much the whole point.
Absolutely. A Zeo, used in conjunction with overnight pulse ox and data downloads can help figure out a lot of issues. I held off for a long time buying a Zeo, but now, am glad I did.

And I'm extra glad that it worked with my Smartphone, which I didn't know for certain beforehand.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Another idea for comfort of the sensor and straps. For straps that are irritating you, try this: Set your straps up mildly loose then use a few tabs of white athletic tape to secure the straps and sensor where you want them. Clean your skin surfaces with alcohol first so there's no oil on them. Sounds like your on the right track tho... maybe I'll get one.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:08 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Another idea for comfort of the sensor and straps. For straps that are irritating you, try this: Set your straps up mildly loose then use a few tabs of white athletic tape to secure the straps and sensor where you want them. Clean your skin surfaces with alcohol first so there's no oil on them. Sounds like your on the right track tho... maybe I'll get one.
This is another excellent suggestion! So far, I think I'm good with removing the silicone piece on the forehead support, but if that changes, I may try this.

Thank you!!

KarinaK

Post by KarinaK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi - I noticed that some people have developed a rash from their Zeo. I have not had this reaction but I, and thousands of others, have developed similar reactions leading to rashes, lesions, and scars from the Fitbit Force. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is looking into this, and they would appreciate it if people whose skin has reacted to the Zeo would report this to them.

From the Director: Please encourage those consumers to log on to SaferProducts dot gov and report their incidents.

Thanks for helping to make the world of fitness trackers safer for everyone.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:18 pm

I've only noticed skin irritation when the headband is due (or overdue) for cleaning.