Sleep Apnea and Alcoholic beverage Consumptions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mamagoober

Re: Sleep Apnea and Alcoholic beverage Consumptions

Post by mamagoober » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 am

My husband has found that one drink a few hours before bed won't affect his AHI, but two or more OR drinking right before going to bed will take his AHI from 1ish to 2.5-3ish. I'm sure people are different. I tracked his with the journal section of Sleepyhead to find the correlation.

Between diagnosis and beginning treatment, he did not have any.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 am

Don't think I don't know where this thread is goin'... I want everybody to line up against the wall, hands on the the wall and spread em'. Is there anything that will stick, poke or cut me? mmm?

You folks are getting radical. I find myself sayin' this more and more...

Sheriff

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:20 am

2 beers every Thursday on Pizza night has not affected my AHI at all.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 pm

As a very light drinker, and maybe once a month, I would still never move to a dry state!

Phil_in_CA

Post by Phil_in_CA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:43 pm

I am a very light drinker. I track my data with SleepyHead and keep notes in the software. I do notice that when I drink an ounce of wine or a bottle of beer with dinner, my AHI is higher; every time.

So... I am limiting my consumption of alcohol.
Boo and Pika! My constant companions.

jzap

Post by jzap » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Phil_in_CA wrote:I am a very light drinker. I track my data with SleepyHead and keep notes in the software. I do notice that when I drink an ounce of wine or a bottle of beer with dinner, my AHI is higher; every time.

So... I am limiting my consumption of alcohol.
Why limit your drinking? As I see it, you are making a good case for drinking at breakfast...

SW Ohio

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Super easy question: Everybody is different.

Some can handle a few drinks (or a lot of drinks) and others get their metabolism and sleep therapy all messed up. Age, blood chemistry, medical issues, diet, exercise habits, daily meds??? Who knows what causes the vastly different reactions?

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 pm

To me "drunk" feels "sick".

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:26 am

I usually have a couple of drinks in the evening, done a couple of hours or more before I go to bed, and doesn't seem to affect my AHI one way or the other. I guess that it is pretty individual, you need to find out for yourself (if you care *smile*).
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

mcpascaln

Post by mcpascaln » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm

So what is the consensus to this OP? That there is no one-size-fit-all approach when it comes determining whether alcohol affects one's sleep Apnea or not. Correct?

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm

mcpascaln wrote:So what is the consensus to this OP? That there is no one-size-fit-all approach when it comes determining whether alcohol affects one's sleep Apnea or not. Correct?
IMO, After following this thread and reading through it again I would have to say you are correct. There is no one-size-fits-all. Just like most of the things that we need to do and the equipment that we need to use to treat our Sleep Apnea.

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Pualani

Post by Pualani » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 am

I know alcohol would affect my husband's apnea cause I could hear it (more than two glasses of wine) - Snoring was worse and I would hear him breathe out but not inhale. It wasnt until he had a minor stroke that the neurologist was able to convince him to get a cpap. He asked the neurologist (at my proding) how many drinks he could have. The neurologist said one for your brain. Then he asked the cardiologist how many he could have and he said two for your heart. The pulmonologist said NONE. So he figures one for your brain plus two for your heart and none for breathing equals three. The more he drank, the worse it was.

My BF says if you consume alcohol earlier in the day, it will be wore off by the time you go to bed so drink withlunch if you must drink.

This was interesting

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/caus ... -Apnea.htm

My breathing is definitely worse with alcohol. My AHI goes up.

JayR_1945

Post by JayR_1945 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 am

I've been looking at this for a while. and found that 1 1/2 glasses of PInot Noir improves, yes improves SAO2 levels. I think it''s the riboflavonoids(or whatever).
Early on the advice was that alcohol is bad. It is a CNS and Respirtory depressant

But as you can tell from the other posts, it's not always bad for everyone. And if you believe the "statistics" (Oh, this is going downhill), "moderate" alcohol use "is associated with" (Ahem) longer life. So, the health folk are just having a fit over whether to advise people to drink alcohol.

Clearly an untreated apneic should not drink alcohol. The problem is that people generally don't know they are apneic. So, whereas they shouldn't, and everyone advises them not to,...they do.

But if a person is successfully on CPAP, the machine probably adjusts for whatever extra depressant effecty that moderate alcohol use might have. 1-2 drinks a day of riboflavonoids is probably good for you.
However, If you are so drunk that you puke in your mask (or put it on upside down), this is a problem.
Jay R.
I am a Systems Engineer/Researcher, and Navy Veteran/ I am not a doctor. All of my suggestions are from my own experience and research. For medical advice, talk to your health care professional. They are good people and could use the work.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:52 am

I see you folks are tossin' around the alcohol effects on cpap, and I will say that everyone is different. I have refrained (as I do from a lot of posts) from making these remarks in this thread. I must say that alcohol is a big player influences the people I deal with on a daily basis. It ruins so many people's lives. Here comes the "only a few" or "I can handle it" or "we aren't talking about alcohol abuse" remarks. I'll never forget when I took my first sleep study, the technician kept asking me if I had any alcohol that day. I got a little frustrated at the question and asked him why he kept asking me that. He told me that I wouldn't believe how many people show up for a sleep test either drunk or have had a few. He made the statement as to why they cannot go one night without a drink! You don't know how many times I've seen so many family break ups and people ruining their lives and I've wished there was no alcohol. Only points to ponder and I'm sure I'll get the "I'm not like them", or "I can handle my alcohol" or "Its legal, so by goodness, I'm gonna' do it". That's ok... trust me... I hear it every day... after I've seen what it can do to so many lives, families and innocent people. Just sayin...

Sheriff

Pualani

Post by Pualani » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 am

What is alcohol? It is a DRUG. Every drug has a side effect or interaction so you better do your homework. On a statin? What does the insert say about drinking alcohol with it? Taking ibuprofen? Have heartburn? The alcohol industry would have you believe that wine is a health food. Just remember when quoted the French paradox that while alcohol might help with heart disease, the French have higher rates of liver disease and esophageal cancer. Pick you disease.