Test User's Overview of Apnicure's Winx system

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Re: Test User's Overview of Apnicure's Winx system

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:44 am

Xney wrote:Even if it's the same I'd use it over CPAP..
Why's that?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Xney

Post by Xney » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:24 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:
Xney wrote:Even if it's the same I'd use it over CPAP..
Why's that?
To use CPAP/VPAP/ASV, I have to tape my mouth (a lot) to avoid mouth leaks. Also, the winx is "less" to wear, and easier to move around in. If the therapy value is equal, the only thing I'm really missing from the CPAP is data and breathing humidified air, which is good for my sinuses.

KathyJL

Post by KathyJL » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Xney,
Recently a co-worker gave me a newspaper article about Winx and two other non-CPAP alternatives. I'm interested in the Winx for myself. I read all your posts, and am wondering if you stuck with it and still use it or if you didn't and why not. Can you update on your Winx experience? Thanks!
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

Xney

Post by Xney » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 pm

I was away on vacation - sorry for the late response.

Unfortunately, it didn't make my residual sleepiness better despite very good numbers at the sleep study. I would judge it to improve my sleep about 20% compared to 30-40% from xPAP. (This may have nothing to do with Winx, but rather my weird sleep problems)

That being said, I think it's a good thing for people to check out who want an alternative and are suitable candidates. If I had equal results compared to xPAP, I would be using it. It's a bit strange/weird due to the whole suction thing, but I liked it a lot.

I think it'll be the kind of thing where it helps some people a lot and other people not at all. CPAP is still a better route to explore first, in my opinion. For one thing, you just don't know if companies like Apnicure will be around in 5 years, though I hope they are!

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 pm

I tried to find out how much they cost but I didn't find a thing.

Greg l Baxter

Post by Greg l Baxter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:20 pm

How much does it cost?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:24 pm

After two years of no comments or answers, sounds like it's in the trash can.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Lamon

Post by Lamon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am thinking to get Winx. At least try it to see if it works. Small, light and No mask, those points are very attractive.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 pm

But wait ... if you are one of the next 100 callers ...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 pm

But, not so attractive is the fact that NO ONE HAS BOTHERED TO TEST HOW WELL, OR EVEN IF IT WORKS.

Tricia122

Post by Tricia122 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:54 pm

WINX: I just received my WINX machine last week. It came with 2 mouth pieces. regular and + (plus) which was a bit bigger. In order to get your system, they send you two wax pieces and you gently bite down into each one then send it back. That way they get an idea of which one to send. My WINX costs $1759 and they give you 0 interest payment plan at $161 per month until paid off, plus 60 DAYS FREE TRIAL. That was key for me. I didn't use a CPAP machine before, but had sleepless nights and lots of mouth open SNORING. Yikes! So I thought I would try this. I am a side sleeper and have tried both mouth pieces so far. Bigger one was better for me. Covered my upper and lower jaw to seal better. One negative is drool. Being a side sleeper I drool now onto the pillow out of the right side of my mouth. Hmmmm. I now sleep on a towel. I do not move during the night so no problem there. Seems to work ok for me but once in awhile I awake and find it "unattached" from the tight seal so that could be a problem. I am on the 60 day trial so I'll check back with you folks.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Tricia122 wrote:I am on the 60 day trial so I'll check back with you folks.
Thank you. Please do and good luck!

Seth830

Post by Seth830 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:03 pm

I loved the product an d the idea of it. It felt much better than the CPAP. Sadly when i went for a sleep study using WInx, it did not work for me. I am glad it worked for you.

Zpdisleepy

Post by Zpdisleepy » Wed May 03, 2017 3:45 am

I just received my new Winx machine. So far, although I can achieve the mouth seal easily, within ten minutes (according to my partner) the mouthpiece is lying next to md on the pillow. Winx sent me a Respironics Premium chin strap today to see if it will help me to retain the mouthpiece. I will report back.

One new factor that may interest some: Winx now offers both new machines ($1700+) and refurbished machines that have been returned after the 60 day trial period. The refurb, which runs a little over $1k, comes with all new hoses and mouthpieces and is also subject to the 60-day money-back guarantee. Still not covered by insurance, though.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 03, 2017 6:26 am

Zpdisleepy wrote:One new factor that may interest some: Winx now offers both new machines ($1700+) and refurbished machines that have been returned after the 60 day trial period. The refurb, which runs a little over $1k, comes with all new hoses and mouthpieces and is also subject to the 60-day money-back guarantee. Still not covered by insurance, though.
Thanks for this info.

Zpdisleepy wrote:Winx sent me a Respironics Premium chin strap today to see if it will help me to retain the mouthpiece.
Some CPAPers tape their mouth to keep it from opening. Do you think it would be possible to place a strip or two of tape on the mouth to keep the mouthpiece in place?