Any problem with using someone elses machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fireman9302

Any problem with using someone elses machine?

Post by fireman9302 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:36 pm

I had my tritation study last night and today is the first time in a long time that I didn't need a nap during the day...The sleep Doc has to read the results and send them to my doctor who then has to order the machine....The problem is my doc is on vacation for two weeks...

My friend has a machine a REMstart autoseries A-flex. It is set for 6, I don't know what my number is but I do know they started me at 5..my question is would it hurt anything for me to use this machine...I have my mask they gave me at my sleep study.

I do know how to set it for Auto Pap and was going to set it to go between 4 and 6 so it won't be to much.

i just dont want to wait two weeks for something that will make me feel good..

Thanks in advance

lazer

Re: Any problem with using someone elses machine?

Post by lazer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 pm

I don't think it could hurt a thing. I would set it from 5 - 8 aPAP mode.

pickuptruck

Post by pickuptruck » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Everyone is started at 5 for the test. Your level could be anywhere. You should run the machine at 5 to 20 for at least the first night. The machine will only go as high as is needed to control apneas. After the first night you can check and see what the 95% pressure was and adjust accordingly.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 pm

What's your friend going to use if you have his/her machine?

I would leave it at 6 (or 8 or 9 cm.) for the first night and then see what the data shows. Beginning users starting with a range of pressures is just asking for problems.......runaway pressures, mask leaks, pressure changes disturbing sleep, etc.

fireman9302

Post by fireman9302 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Guest wrote:What's your friend going to use if you have his/her machine?

She doesn't use it anymore

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 pm

fireman9302 wrote:

wow.... did she say why she doesn't use it any more?

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 pm

xenablue wrote:
fireman9302 wrote:

wow.... did she say why she doesn't use it any more?

Only 40% use the machines they are medically commended to at the one year mark, only 20% more than four hours per night.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

purple

Post by purple » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 am

Unlike some here, you apparently had a mostly successful Sleep Study, and do not need more tweaking, or the problems that occur with at home tweaking.

Set the machine to the prescription recommended from the sleep study. If the sleep study did not say "auto" then do not use auto. Many here feel using auto is a clever way to do an extended at home titration, some sleep patterns specifically do worse with auto. If not that, I feel a newcomer to xPAP has enough problems getting used to a new mask, learning to deal with leaks. without using higher pressure than they need or a machine that keeps ramping up pressure while on auto due to leaks.

On the other hand, if the docs script said to set it to an auto setting, then do that.

Likewise about any flex setting, set it do however the sleep study said to put it. Some individual do worse with flex set rather than worse. While it sounds counter intuitive that using flex can be wrong, I am one of those people.

Keep in mind, that after some use, after finding the right mask for you, and getting used to all the things you must do to stop leaks, Then. You will sleep much better than you did in the Sleep Study, and feel much better than you have for years.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:37 am

Go here and tell us exactly what machine your friend has.

You may be able to use it all the time and save the money of buying a new one. (assuming your friend will give or sell it to you.)

At the least, we'll be able to tell you how to set it up and read the data.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:24 am

depends.. do they have cooties? even so, i don't see any problem

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Apnea headache trumps cooties, unless you are OCD.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 pm

You can tell the sleep clinic that you want a copy of your results.That way you know exactly what to set the machine at. They have to give it to you. Then you will only have to wait 2 weeks for your new machine.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

fireman9302

Post by fireman9302 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:00 pm

I received my "new" machine yesterday with over 2000 hours on it...

I have a feeling my pressure is to low...how can i tell...I remember waking up several times snoring while the mask is on...My pressure is set to 8, I believe my borrowed machine avg right around 12....I do not own the machine for 90 days, I tried to call the DME today, they were supposed to call today anyway to check on things, but the girl was in a meeting and never called me back...

Could I get in trouble changing the pressure...I know how to do it, or should i just wait till I can get ahold of the the DR Monday????

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:27 pm

I would just used the borrowed one that seems to be working ok till you can see the DME.

big_dave

Post by big_dave » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:33 pm

fireman9302 wrote:I received my "new" machine yesterday with over 2000 hours on it...

I have a feeling my pressure is to low...how can i tell...I remember waking up several times snoring while the mask is on...My pressure is set to 8, I believe my borrowed machine avg right around 12....I do not own the machine for 90 days, I tried to call the DME today, they were supposed to call today anyway to check on things, but the girl was in a meeting and never called me back...

Could I get in trouble changing the pressure...I know how to do it, or should i just wait till I can get ahold of the the DR Monday????
I would switch back to the borrowed machine for the weekend, and then discuss with your doctor why you think you need more pressure. He might give you an earful for using a borrowed machine, so mention this only if you need to. But, it's better to take a tongue-lashing than to use an ineffective setting.

Don't bother discussing this directly with the DME. They can only set the machine to the pressure on your prescription, so they will refer you to your doctor for a new prescription.