Ultra Mirage FFM

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
B Burdick

Ultra Mirage FFM

Post by B Burdick » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I am considering buying an Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask. It is supposed to be good for people using high pressures.

My concern is that while doing my research I found many complaints about breakage on this mask. The sites where I read about breakage did not have any dates. I called ResMed and they told me that they used to have breakage problems but the mask was modified. Is anyone using this mask and if so are you having breakage problems with this mask?

Re: Ultra Mirage FFM

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 pm

B Burdick wrote:I am considering buying an Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask. It is supposed to be good for people using high pressures.

My concern is that while doing my research I found many complaints about breakage on this mask. The sites where I read about breakage did not have any dates. I called ResMed and they told me that they used to have breakage problems but the mask was modified. Is anyone using this mask and if so are you having breakage problems with this mask?
I'm unaware of ANY "complaints about breakage" with this mask. I've been using the very same mask for seven and a half years (it was my very first mask and am still using it) and have been extremely happy with it. It's been very durable. All of the parts are replaceable, so if anything should happen to break, that specific part can be replaced without having to buy a complete mask.
I'm also not aware of any modifications that have been done to them.
I do know that Respironics had problems with their "Comfortfull 2" mask years ago and did make modifications to them, but that's a different company and different mask.

The UMFF will handle high pressures.

Vader

Post by Vader » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:12 pm

I've never heard of breakage problems with the UMFF. It was one of the first masks I ever used, years ago, and I think it may have been one of the most durable.

Vader

ThatMaskedMan

Post by ThatMaskedMan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

I very much like this mask, and it is all that I use. But it does indeed have a breaking problem. Twice I have had a break in the clip that goes around the flap. Each was at the same place, on a bend. In fact, mine is broken right now, and patched with scotch tape.

A scary thing is that the broken plastic end is right by my eyeball. But I trust the scotch tape.

If you want to read lots of accounts of the clip breaking, go to our host cpap.com, go to the reviews. If it doesn't show up in the mask reviews, it will in the reviews of the clip replacement.

I'm thinking the breaks occurred when I took it apart to clean it, so perhaps I should not take it apart every day, just wipe down the flap with a wet Kleenex.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 pm

i've had one for several years that is now a back-up mask. i haven't had any problems with it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi - I have had a lot of breaks, but have to say that the reason is mostly the way that I sleep, and (initially) not always being careful of how I treated the mask when I was not sleeping... however I did a couple of things - got a good superglue specifically for polycarbonate plastic (though it's not magic, but helps), became more careful of what I was doing, e.g. not leaning on the mask when I'd take it off, roll over and dig my elbow into it , and keep a couple of parts always on hand (lots cheaper than buying a new mask) for when they were needed. Plus I have to wear something, and this mask at least works for me and comes in the odd size I need.