what is the next step?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Roxy

what is the next step?

Post by Roxy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:06 pm

I have been using my resmed auto at a setting ranging from 12-17 for close to four months. I am so frustrated trying to get a mask that fits. I need a FF mask as my mouth always opens. I have tried the quattro and quattro fx, amara, flex fit and liberty. The quattro and flex fit are the only two that don't constantly leak but both chew up the bridge of my nose despite having the top straps very loose. I was my face at night, have use the gecko pad and pad a cheek to no avail. I really don't know what to do now!!!!!!! I am a side sleeper and have tried a few different cpap pillows. The best is a pillow filled with hulls. It seems that my choices are wear a mask that leaks like crazy or wear a mask that only wakes me two or three times a night due to leaks but chew up the bridge of my nose. I am finding it increasingly difficult to continue to be motivated to use the machine!!!!! The DME has come out three times and we have gone through all of their full face masks.

LSAT

Re: what is the next step?

Post by LSAT » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:01 pm

I don't understand how the nose pads don't work. Using the pads should stop any irritation to the bridge of your nose.

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:25 pm

That is a good question!!! It makes no sense to me either

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Hang your hose above your head. THAT is one of the best things you can do to protect the bridge of your nose. Hanging the hose above your head drastically reduces the tug of the hose on your mask and mask fit. A piece of Dr Scholl's moleskin across the bridge of the nose can help. Pushing the mask up a skosh turns the edge of the cushion down so that it is not cutting into the nose skin whereas letting the mask slide down even a skosh turns the edges of the cushion up allowing it to cut into the nose skin. Hanging the hose above your head helps any "tugs" on the hose due to movements during sleep to "tug" the mask up rather than down and thus encourages the mask edge to keep turned under rather than turned up and into the nose skin.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Thank you. I do have a hose management system. It seem s that sleeping on my side makes it more difficult to keep my mask from slipping. I will try moving the mask up a bit