Ordering a battery pack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cosmo

Re: Ordering a battery pack

Post by cosmo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 pm

The battery pack only provides power through the cigarette port.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:48 pm

archangle wrote:
quietmorning wrote:I purchased the power cord from cpap.com for the PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine to go with my back up batteries. I have a 6.6 and a 7.8, I'm going to test them both (starting tonight. . .scary scary) to see how long they run.
What is 6.6 and 7.8? Amp hours?
The 6.6 and the 7.8 is how long the battery will run per amp hour - or . . . technically the size of the battery. I . . .think??!! My husband was explaining it to me - and I only . . .honestly . . .partly understood. But I found it to be a handy way to figure identify the size battery - sort've like when I'm shopping for batteries for my phone: a 2200mAh (mill Amp per hour) is a much smaller and shorter life spanned battery than the 4300mAh. My 2200mAh batter lasts one day in my cell phone. The 4300mAh battery lasts nearly two days with normal use.

Clear as mud. . .maybe? :-/ If any one can explain it better - please do!

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

JohnO wrote:
cosmo wrote:
This battery pack does not have the power head for the PR System One 60 Series. You will need to buy a separate DC cable. I just tested and the head for the 60 series and it is bigger than all that is included.
Would I need something like this? It looks like the one end would fit a cigarette lighter opening. Is that what this battery pack takes?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... hines.html
If the battery pack you have uses a cigarette lighter plug, that's the right connector.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:11 pm

archangle wrote: If the battery pack you have uses a cigarette lighter plug, that's the right connector.
That's why I asked Cosmo, as I'm considering purchasing the battery pack he bought.

Based on his reply above
cosmo wrote:The battery pack only provides power through the cigarette port.
I think that answers my question in the affirmative.

...Now if only they had a $3 connector plug for the Series 60 instead of requiring an extra $30 cable...

Thanks,

John

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm

I tested my Costco PowerStation PSX-2 car jump starter unit for 2 nights. Battery level was still good.

I didn't want to drain it further as these units seems like its better not to be drained a lot. They contain Sealed Lead Acid. This is a more economical plan if weight is not much of an issue.

http://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/ ... dern_times

Lead-acid does not like deep cycling. A full discharge causes extra strain and each cycle robs the battery of some service life. This wear-down characteristic also applies to other battery chemistries in varying degrees.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm

cosmo wrote:
C-222 CPAP Battery Pack $389

I ordered that unit. I saw it for $299 and jumped on it. Everywhere else has it for $390 - $400.

Your Price: $425.00
On sale: $299.00
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Compact-Po ... p_516.html
I ordered one today. Thanks for the detailed testing and documenting of your results. For my requirements (weight less than 12 pounds, and reasonable recharge time), this seems a good fit.

John

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:45 pm

oops, some how this posted twice, so I'm erasing the one that needed edit and keeping the fixed one. Sorry about that, folks.
Last edited by quietmorning on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:46 pm

cosmo wrote:When I said I wouldn't turn on the heated humidifier, I was trying to imply "do not use the heated humidifier!"

It probably trying draw more power than the battery can dish out. It can be dangerous as well.
I called CPAP.com and tried some things - still would not work with the machine. (PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine)

I got power, but the machine kept giving me an error message "Service Required"

I tried the 8amp fuse and the 7am fuse, neither worked.

I tried this with the humidifier turned off.
I tried this with the humidifier OFF the machine.

I tried both batteries (the 6.6 and the 7.8 ) the same results with each attempt.

The people at cpap.com were stumped. The last suggestion was to see if the machine would work on the car battery. . .so that's what we are going to try next, to make sure the machine itself is not the problem. If it works with the car battery, then my thinking is that these two batteries are just underpowered and will not perform the expected result.

I'd like to read more here to see if this battery pack you all are working with will do the job with this machine.

So, I"m going to go do that.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I never bought the car DC cable for my PR 60 series so I can't test it.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:50 pm

JohnO wrote:
cosmo wrote:
C-222 CPAP Battery Pack $389

I ordered that unit. I saw it for $299 and jumped on it. Everywhere else has it for $390 - $400.

Your Price: $425.00
On sale: $299.00
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Compact-Po ... p_516.html
I ordered one today. Thanks for the detailed testing and documenting of your results. For my requirements (weight less than 12 pounds, and reasonable recharge time), this seems a good fit.

John
John, please let us (me, specifically ) how it works with your machine as you have the same machine I do. I don't want to spend any more than I have to and have it not be the right thing.

Thanks!

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:12 pm

cosmo wrote:This battery pack does not have the power head for the PR System One 60 Series.
Cosmo -- after my order, the fine folks at bestcpapprice.com phoned me to ask what type of machine I had. When I said I had the newer System One 60 Series, they said they would include an adapter that would work.

I'll report back when I receive it and test it. I've already received the email that the package has been shipped!

John

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:20 pm

JohnO wrote:
Cosmo -- after my order, the fine folks at bestcpapprice.com phoned me to ask what type of machine I had. When I said I had the newer System One 60 Series, they said they would include an adapter that would work.
They must be monitoring this thread. They probably saw a bunch of hits originating from this thread. I never gotten a call but I did order a ResMed converter at the same time so they probably figured I would use that only.

I would like an adapter head myself

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 pm

cosmo wrote:
JohnO wrote: I would like an adapter head myself
Drop them an email with your order #. I'd bet they would ship you the adapter.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 am

Just to follow-up. I ordered the battery from the same place Cosmo did. Very fast shipping. I also received the extra plug. It is an adapter that goes over one of the existing plugs. I have not had a chance to try the battery yet, but I am very pleased with the size and weight.

If you need the adapter for the PRS 1 Series 60, send them an email and show them your order #, and I'm sure they would ship you the adapter.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:01 pm

What about this backup that uses Non-Spillable Lead Acid battery?

http://www.cpapxchange.com/longlife-cpa ... esmed.html