Ordering a battery pack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cosmo

Ordering a battery pack

Post by cosmo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm leaning towards the first one for my PR System One 560s.

What do you guys think? My settings are around 8-10 cm on my APAP machine. I don't know how accurate the 50 hour rating is.

This is for 1-3 day emergency/light travel by car.

C-222 CPAP Battery Pack $299
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Compact-Po ... p_516.html
Lithium-ion cells (18.5 Ah)
Dimensions: 9.8"x5.9" x1.3"
Weight: 4 LBS
Level Indicator: 2500mAh
Average Run Time: 25-30 hours
Recharge Time: 5-6 hours
The Cicon-222 Battery will power your PR One CPAP machine for 50 hours: With the Humidifier turned off, and with a CPAP pressure of 10. The included recharger can then be used to fully charge your C-222 battery in only 5 hours.

Respironics Battery Kit for PR System One 60 Series Machines $328.95
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... d-kit.html

Respironics Lead Acid Battery
14.4 AMP-HOUR
Charge time is 10 hours
6.5" L x 7.5" W x 9"H Battery Dimensions
13 lbs, 10.4 oz. Battery Weight

Run Time @10 cm 19.63 hrs (Battery Weight 12 Lbs.) *
Last edited by cosmo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RogerSC

Re: Ordering a battery pack

Post by RogerSC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 pm

My opinion is that the higher amp-hour battery pack will be more versatile. Like if you're on a one or two-week camping trip instead of 1-3 day trip. The lower-cost battery pack will do the job for a couple of nights (or longer if you use it less or sleep less *smile*), but 50 hours is about 6 days. Less overhead, less recharging for the more expensive one.

I should mention that I own the C-222 CPAP battery pack, and use it with the ResMed 12V -> 24V DC converter with my S9. I'm very impressed with the capacity, and even though I was prepared to recharge it on the trip where I first used it, I didn't have to. So I'm pretty happy with it, despite the cost. I used the humidifier passively, didn't have it powered up, and no climateline tube, just the main S9 unit was powered by the battery, but the battery pack has worked well for me. I can also use it for a power outage here at home, but haven't had to do that yet...Ideally I would also have a switch that sensed a power outage and automatically switched from line power to battery power when the power went out, but I haven't found that one yet *smile*.
Last edited by RogerSC on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks for your input, looks like the C-222 is the one I'll order. The brand name was more of a concern with me.

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm

I ordered the C-222 over a month ago, and eventually found that they could not deliver "for some time due to the increased post-Sandy demand". So two weeks ago, CPAPwholesale sent out two C-100 batteries with a piggyback for the same $399 price. They estimate about the same run time.

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Both of these battery technologies (LiON and Pb-HCl) dislike being repeatedly drained all the way dead and need to be kept on a float charge if at all possible.

With that being said, the LiON cell can be discharged much further than the PB-HCl battery without taking as much damage. It's also much lighter in a travel situation.

Here's a comparison of the longevity for the two technologies. http://electricvehicleconcepts.com/Lithiumvslead.html

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks y'all for this thread. I've read a few others threads on this topic and am trying to learn as much as I can. I should add that I do have enough background in electronics to be dangerous!!! Just hope I don't blow up anything in the process Anyway, winter's coming in California and PG&E will undoubtedly black out before too long. <Prolonged Sigh>

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 pm

The PG&E supplied power to where I am at is pretty stable. Mostly underground cable runs and not too many trees to wreck havoc. But I still need a backup/travel battery.

We also have earthquakes to think about....Untreated OSA wears me down way too much so I don't even want to go 1 day without it. $400 is not a small amount but I'll pay it.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am

The first one is about 18 Ah, the second one is 14 Ah.

Car jumper batteries are a lot cheaper for that capacity, but may weigh more. They tend to need longer to charge.

I'm afraid of lithium ion batteries for this kind of application. They're just too likely to die on you suddenly with no warning. They are great electrically, and weigh less, but if you need it 6 months after the last time you used it, it may simply be dead and can't be charged.

The diehard 1150 is $100-150 depending on current sale prices. It will charge directly off the cigarette lighter if you buy the optional charging plug. It's about 22 Ah.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 pm

I do keep a battery booster in my trunk. Its a 18aH battery inside from listed specs. I'm going to crack it open this weekend to see what is exactly in it.

If the battery booster will work, I might just buy an extra replacement battery for it to have 36 AH worth of portable battery in total.

This might not be the actual battery inside, this is for a different booster unit with similiar specs.

Product Features
Price $49.95
Voltage: 12 Volt
Peak 12 Volt Amps: 950
Battery Type: Sealed Lead Acid (AGM)
Battery Capacity: 18 Amp Hour
http://www.centurytool.net/5799000014_S ... 000014.htm

fm1520

Post by fm1520 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 am

cosmo wrote:I'm leaning towards the first one for my PR System One 560s.
Respironics Battery Kit for PR System One 60 Series Machines $328.95
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... d-kit.html

Respironics Lead Acid Battery
14.4 AMP-HOUR
Charge time is 10 hours
6.5" L x 7.5" W x 9"H Battery Dimensions
13 lbs, 10.4 oz. Battery Weight

Run Time @10 cm 19.63 hrs (Battery Weight 12 Lbs.) *
I've been researching as well. I'm leaning towards the Respironics, I don't need more than one or maybe two nights on one charge. I'll mainly use it for SCUBA diving trips on live-aboard dive boats. Usually no problem being able to charge during the day. I fellow diver has one and she really likes it.

REMstar Pro C-Flex +

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:29 am

fm1520 wrote:
I've been researching as well. I'm leaning towards the Respironics, I don't need more than one or maybe two nights on one charge. I'll mainly use it for SCUBA diving trips on live-aboard dive boats. Usually no problem being able to charge during the day. I fellow diver has one and she really likes it.
I took my battery booster apart to check out the battery. It is the same type of battery I linked earlier. 12 Volt 18 AMP-HOUR Sealed Lead Acid Battery. 6FM18. Cost under $40 shipped for a replacement battery. I should be able to easily get 2 nights out of this with my under 8cm pressure.

Looks like the Respironics $300 unit is way overpriced for what you are getting. You can build your own with same specs for half the cost.

My new plan is to buy an extra 12 Volt 22 AMP-HOUR Sealed Lead Acid Battery for the batter booster and that will be my car travel setup. 22 AMP-HOUR battery is the same size as the 18 AMP-HOUR. I will also buy the 12 Volt DC cables. I will charge the secondary battery with a home charger that I will be buying for a home backup system using a deep cycle battery 114 AMP-HOUR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-UB1 ... 2c6a8362f9

Respironics 12 Volt DC Power Cord
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -cord.html

Home setup
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... cable.html

114 AMP-HOUR Deep Cycle Battery $100

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Max ... y/20531539

jscholz

Post by jscholz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 pm

I have a similar battery to the 222 model and like it because of its portability. I take it backpacking as well as on planes and boats, and I've gotten up to 5 nights with it.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 pm

cosmo wrote:
C-222 CPAP Battery Pack $389
Lithium-ion cells (18.5 Ah)
Dimensions: 9.8"x5.9" x1.3"
Weight: 4 LBS
Level Indicator: 2500mAh
Average Run Time: 25-30 hours
Recharge Time: 5-6 hours
The Cicon-222 Battery will power your PR One CPAP machine for 50 hours: With the Humidifier turned off, and with a CPAP pressure of 10. The included recharger can then be used to fully charge your C-222 battery in only 5 hours.
I ordered that unit. I saw it for $299 and jumped on it. Everywhere else has it for $390 - $400.

I will also use it for an IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine instead of the PR One machine I originally intended to be my travel machine.

Your Price: $425.00
On sale: $299.00

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:48 pm

cosmo wrote:
cosmo wrote:
C-222 CPAP Battery Pack $389

I ordered that unit. I saw it for $299 and jumped on it. Everywhere else has it for $390 - $400.

I will also use it for an IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine instead of the PR One machine I originally intended to be my travel machine.

Your Price: $425.00
On sale: $299.00
Really good price, enjoy using it.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 pm

I got the C-222 battery pack in. I placed a few things next to it for scale. Its as thick as a VHS tape, similar overall size to a VHS tape, except longer. This also weighs as much as a large laptop at 4lbs. Not the netbooks but the full size laptops.

It does come with everything shown. Its missing the ugly yellow lettering thankfully.