ComfortLite 2 without the elbow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
imsotired

Post by imsotired » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:11 pm

Can you please tell me how you connect the hacked off tube to the inlet tube? Do you glue it? Your photo almost looks like it is wrapped in something. Thanks.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:40 pm

I missed seeing your question, imsotired, until a few minutes ago. Sorry about that! I saw your PM before I saw your post here, and sent you a PM reply.

Here are parts of my PM, in case this might help others who are planning to chop off the elbow:

Hi there,

No, I didn't glue it...I just jammed the Vista connector hose onto the place I had cut off the elbow. The "picture" of what I did is not really a photo. I used PaintShop Pro to retouch an advertising photo of a real CL2. So, the "connector" hose you see in my "step-by-step how-to" is just drawn on...that's not really a picture of the Vista connector hose itself. All the steps are "retouched" drawings.
------
I deliberately left as much as possible (amounted to about an inch) of the hard inner plastic ring that's inside the CL2's hose. That hard plastic makes it possible to push the Vista's cuff on. But if the person who removed the elbow cut the CL2's hose back to where there was no plastic ring left inside, you wouldn't be able to push the Vista cuff onto the fllexible silicone of the CL2's hose. It really needs to have a bit of hard plastic ring left inside during the amputation.
------
Even if they inadvertently didn't leave any of the hard plastic, I'm sure there'd be a way to work that out ... probably by using a plastic "hose connector" (not a hose..just a connector thingie) between the CL2 hose and the Vista hose, and perhaps using a zip tie to hold the CL2 hose tightly onto the connector piece.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

nosbig-nosbig

Post by nosbig-nosbig » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:01 am

After making the elbow/swivel modification and removing most of the play between the headgear cranial plate and the adjustment mechanism frame, (using card stock shims), was able to get one good nights use. However the next night the pillows leaked and I was unable to get it to stop, so back to the Activa. The next day I reexamined the CL2 pillows, comparing them to Breeze and Swift; my conclusion is that they (CL2) have much less movement latitude in addition to being harder and rougher.

Am now in the process of adapting an old Adam pillows holder to a CL2 pillows elbow. I really like the CL2 headgear, works great for both side and back sleeping. The Breeze comes up way short on the back position. I'm hoping for what I see as the best features of both systems.

curtcurt46

More Info on Comfortlite 2 modification

Post by curtcurt46 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:08 am

Laura,
I read your post with interest as I have a CL2 coming. I may want to try the mod, but follow all except how is the activa hose connected to the modified CL2. It looks like the swivel end connects to your hose as normal. Do you need a swivel connector to connect. Please clarify.
Thanks, Curtis

curtcurt46

Boy do I need to read closer.

Post by curtcurt46 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:11 am

I read for the second time and found my answer just above. It is a good post. Thanks.
Curtis

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:31 pm

I have a jewelers saw that works quite well-thinner-finer blade wiithout those little "waves" along the cutting edge.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 am

I don't have a CL2 but I was curious to know why the elbow needs to be cut off ... what problems does it cause?

- r
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:30 am

I was curious to know why the elbow needs to be cut off ... what problems does it cause?
Dream, its really about hose management, and what you are used to. The
RG mod makes the hose management exactly like the Adam Circuit, Breeze, and other similar masks. Without the mod you need more space between your headboard and the top of the mask, and you must always
"flip" the hose to the opposite side before you turn. Also the elbow keeps
running into the headboard..

Summary - It a good mod for most people. However, its really does nothing to enhance performance.

People have more fun than anybody..

jeanc

elbow removal

Post by jeanc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:53 pm

I was able to just pull the elbow off. No hacksaw, or knife needed. Then, I just connected it directly to my heavy duty hose. I just can't stand the big plastic thing on my forehead. I thought there was somewhere in here were someone did a major modification to this mask, but I can't find it.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:17 am

Jean, you may be thinking about Bad Breath's ball cap mod. You can find a link to it on the Lab Rat Awards page:

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:35 pm

I also took the angle thingamy off, it did'nt seem to turn too well and pulled plus I had to sleep lower down in bed to stop it catching. I replaced it with a straight swivel piece that came with something else, I forget what, and that works well.
I have also replaced the comfy headgear, for the time being, with panty hose legs, one piece threaded through the front 2 slots and another thru the back 2, these I tie in a knot at the back to remind me not to sleep on my back.
I tie another leg strip round the hose for stability. I think the headgear squashed my hair in the wrong place, I forget.
I just wish it had a little bit more tilt, or wasn't so straight in the pillow holder tube as it is hard to get it angled in enough without it driving into my top lip too much. Any fix for this???

BadBreath

Re: elbow removal

Post by BadBreath » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:25 am

jeanc wrote:I was able to just pull the elbow off. No hacksaw, or knife needed. Then, I just connected it directly to my heavy duty hose.
I did the same. The hose without the elbow fits nicely into the main hose and does not pull out.

jeanc wrote:I just can't stand the big plastic thing on my forehead. I thought there was somewhere in here were someone did a major modification to this mask, but I can't find it.
I replaced the headgear with a ballcap (actually a visor) which spreads the central support accross the forehead. Easily adjustable, no need for any straps, easy on and off, no permanent mods to the mask, and you still have full use of the height and angle adjustments. Bend the sides of the visor and side sleeping is no problem. And the CL2 mask assembly lends itself to the ballcap mod better than any other.

ComfortLite2 Ballcap Mod

nosbig-nosbig wrote:...my conclusion is that they (CL2) have much less movement latitude in addition to being harder and rougher
I agree, so I went to the Opus mask with a rigid downtube and a ballcap as headgear. Not only is the pillow material softer, but by replacing the flexible tube with a rigid tube attached at the forehead, the 360 swivel that allowed hose movement now allows movement at the nosepiece. So now I can move my head up and down and side to side and still maintain a seal even if the hose and ballcap don't precisely move with me. (BTW the rigid downtube also greatly improves the Opus while using the original headgear, as long as you are routing it upward and anchor it at the forehead.)

Opus Ballcap Mod

But while the Opus ballcap mod allows height adjustment, I found that without the angle adjustment, increases in pressure during deeper sleep stages would break the seal. So now I use the CL2 assembly with the visor mod and the Opus pillows. I use a 3/4" length of rigid flexible tube (1/2" I.D. X 5/8" O.D.) with one end stretched over the CL2 downtube and the other end inserted into the top of the Opus elbow. A little nosier on inhale (much like the Aura). Add the o-ring solution to maintain the pillow spacing and I believe I now have the perfect mask and use it every night.

Sleepless on LI wrote:Do you think you could come up with a way to use the CL2's headgear with the Aura's "guts"? I find the pillows on the Aura far better when it comes to leaks than the CL2's. If that could be done, you might have the perfect mask (with your elbow-ectomy), or as close to perfect as one can come.
I don't believe so. The placement of the vent up in the Aura's assembly means you can't use the pillows without it (and I have tried).

On second thought...I guess if you removed the Aura's piece with the vent from the down supports and cut off the tube and it's attachment right above the vent, the CL2 downtube just might fit right inside of the resulting hole. I just hate to ruin any mask, so all of my mods so far cause no permanent changes to a mask. But...my Aura ballcap mod accomplishes the same thing without damage to the mask, and provides all of the adjustments that the CL2 has. Find that one in this thread:

Aura/Headrest Ballcap Mod

rested gal wrote:Well, actually I tried the serrated steak knife first, but it hardly made a dent in the neck of the elbow. I see now why hacksaws are the tool of choice for prison bars.
I know you call it "lab-ratting" but (with my computer background) I think I will start calling it "Hose Hacking".

rested gal

Re: elbow removal

Post by rested gal » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:50 am

BadBreath wrote:
rested gal wrote:Well, actually I tried the serrated steak knife first, but it hardly made a dent in the neck of the elbow. I see now why hacksaws are the tool of choice for prison bars.
I know you call it "lab-ratting" but (with my computer background) I think I will start calling it "Hose Hacking".
LOL!! I like that.

Sometimes it's just called "Desperation."
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:12 am

I know everyone has their own opinions, but what is the "best" nasal pillow mask? I have tried the Swift II which did not work at all, but I would like to get a nasal pillow interface, but don't want to get a dud since I will be paying out of pocket for it. So which is best? Here is my criteria, in order of importance:

Good Seal, low leak
Quiet
Requires little or no modification
Durable
Comfortable
Not too expensive

The Swift would not seal, seemed to leak from every joint, and was very noisy. My Ultra Mirage requires a great deal of tweaking to get it to work right and not tear up my nose, so a nasal pillow would be a good releif from it for a few nights. My sleep doc said that most of his patients, once they get used to the pillows often don't go back to the mask. Any truth to that?

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 pm

I have a swift, the big pillow holder is just too bulky, and I don't like the straps on my cheeks. I believe the new one out is improved somewhat re noise as they have changed the vents

i've only tried 3 nasal masks, the Breeze, which has been around for quite some time, I like it, it's minimal. It seems quiet to me but if you have a partner you will need a pillow or something propped between you as it has a wickedly strong vent flow.

I am currently using the CL2 nasal, which also comes with another type nose piece. I am quite happy with this one, and can tolerate the headpiece on my forehead but would prefer not to have it. It seems quiet to me and has less vent volume . I have modified mine somewhat, didn't need to except for the said elbow piece which I did not like. I do get less leaks with it than the Breeze.
As for your Doc's comment I can see that being so, the original mask I was "fitted" with caused great pain and I could not find a non nasal type mask that fitted me altho' there must be one somewhere you would think.

there is a list of threads that give a run down on many masks etc., that would be worth taking a look at it. sorry I don't have the link. think stuff like that is listed at the top somewhere.