Anybody used cpap in hospital lately?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jimnsc

Anybody used cpap in hospital lately?

Post by jimnsc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:16 pm

I had heart surgery mid-October and am recovering quite nicely - NO THANKS TO THE RESPIRATORY GROUP. The hospital insists you use their machines but will allow you to bring your own mask. The first night I didn't know I could use my own so I used some kind of after-market FFM but that's not the worst part. They had pedestals made for their machines which were 4 1/2 feet high. Guess what I fought all night the first night? You guessed it - rainout. To me it's sort of like being water boarded, if you know what I mean. The second night the wife brought me a folding two-step kitchen stool from home and "down" went the machine so it was below my head. Problem solved but they didn't understand how it caused my problem. During conversation with various techs I discovered they really didn't know much about APAP.

jencat824

Re: Anybody used cpap in hospital lately?

Post by jencat824 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:38 pm

I had a similar problem when I had my each of my knee replacements last year. My hospital let me bring my own mask if I would let the hospital engineering dept check it for electrical problems. It failed & I had to use their machine with my mask. The wanted it up on a stand too. I had hubby bring tubing from home (my DME sends way.... to much tubing anyway) & we sat their machine on the floor to combat rainout, which their RT's had never heard of. Amazing that hospitals would be so ignorant of this subject.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:26 pm

jencat824 wrote:I had a similar problem when I had my each of my knee replacements last year. My hospital let me bring my own mask if I would let the hospital engineering dept check it for electrical problems. It failed & I had to use their machine with my mask. The wanted it up on a stand too. I had hubby bring tubing from home (my DME sends way.... to much tubing anyway) & we sat their machine on the floor to combat rainout, which their RT's had never heard of. Amazing that hospitals would be so ignorant of this subject.
Jen
Did they give you any indication of how it "failed?"

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:35 pm

when i was admitted, the admitting physician wrote in the orders that i could use my own machine and equipment which i did. nobody checked or questioned anything. at sleep time the resp tech unplugged my o2 cannula and plugged the o2 into my o2 adapter on my machine. after that i plugged it and unplugged it myself. i had originally plugged my cpap into a non-emergency power outlet. the resp tech unplugged it and put it into a red emergency power outlet.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:50 pm

jencat824 wrote:I had a similar problem when I had my each of my knee replacements last year. My hospital let me bring my own mask if I would let the hospital engineering dept check it for electrical problems. It failed & I had to use their machine with my mask. The wanted it up on a stand too. I had hubby bring tubing from home (my DME sends way.... to much tubing anyway) & we sat their machine on the floor to combat rainout, which their RT's had never heard of. Amazing that hospitals would be so ignorant of this subject.
Jen
Hi Jen!

I think you might consider sending a letter with your concerns to the hospital or medical group board - and perhaps any medical watch dog groups you can find. You might mention that condensed water in a tube one has been breathing through and which has been transporting partially filtered moving air is likely to be a very good conductor (their concerns probably have to do with electric shock)!! Engineering department - give me a break!!

Have a great weekend!

Todzo
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

merhaba12

Post by merhaba12 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 am

When I had my knee replacement in June, I was told I could not bring my own machine. During my pre-op with my surgeon I asked him to write an order for a consult with an RT prior to being put under. The RT brought in several masks (single use ones) and I picked the one that I liked the best. When the RT hooked me up with the hospital's machine after surgery it didn't have a humidifier. The first night didn't go well at all. The next morning a different RT came in and asked why I hadn't brought my own machine! The right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing! Of course, I immediately had a friend go to my house and get my own equipment!

In hindsight, I would have had my surgeon write an order for me to bring in my own machine and mask! Of course that would only work if the surgeon could override the hospital's policy.

Philips Respironics

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 am

I would not take no... when demanding that I use my own machine and mask. If the hospital gets mouthy, start askin' bunches of questions such as type of machine they have, bipap, vpap, auto, cpap, ask if epr is available,...etc... all te stuff you learned here. They will eventually agree just to get you out of their hair...

Sheriff

kneemeister
Location: 5 miles north of Ohio, 10 miles east of Indiana (Where the Wrist meets the hand on the Map)

Post by kneemeister » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:50 am

As a Biomedical Equipment Tech, I routinely check in patient owned CPAPS and BIPAPS, our inspection is really just a visual check for safety defects and cleanliness.
You would be surprised what we have seen over the years, even a few machines with Bugs in them. But mainly the occasional bad power cord or filters covered with dust etc.

All modern C/BiPaps are of the double insulated type and they no longer need to be checked with a Electrical Safety Analyzer. When I first started, we had to hook them up and take current and ground readings, just like we still do with other equipment.

As a BiPap user, I enjoy talking to the Patient about there machine, and due to my own experience I know some of the concerns that make the patient leery about someone messing with there machine.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:55 am

I'm 2 1/2 - 3 hours north, north west of you, KneeMeister. Glad to see you posting!

Several years ago now, 2003 I think, I was admitted for pain control for shingles. I had my daughter bring my VPAP Auto up when she came to visit that evening. Still later in the evening a hospital RT came down to check on me and what my needs were, nebulizing, etc. She was DELIGHTED that I had my own VPAP w/me and absolutely INTRIGUED w/its small size and its data capabilities! She said that w/o my VPAP she would have had to transport the hospital's BIG device down to me and so was delighted that that wasn't going to be necessary. I was surprised that she wasn't aware of how far PAP devices have progressed at first until I had time to think it over.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:10 am

Maybe it would be a good idea to proactively contact the respiratory departments of local hospitals,
and get their policy on patient machines and masks. --in writing if possible.
Also make it a habit to keep the stuff as clean as your mother wants you to have your underwear.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:58 am

Slinky wrote:I'm 2 1/2 - 3 hours north, north west of you, KneeMeister. Glad to see you posting!

Several years ago now, 2003 I think, I was admitted for pain control for shingles. I had my daughter bring my VPAP Auto up when she came to visit that evening. Still later in the evening a hospital RT came down to check on me and what my needs were, nebulizing, etc. She was DELIGHTED that I had my own VPAP w/me and absolutely INTRIGUED w/its small size and its data capabilities! She said that w/o my VPAP she would have had to transport the hospital's BIG device down to me and so was delighted that that wasn't going to be necessary. I was surprised that she wasn't aware of how far PAP devices have progressed at first until I had time to think it over.
What I don't understand is why they don't have to know this stuff and keep up to date. You would think certification on personal xpap devices is must for hospital RTs. Why aren't the manufacturers pushing this, putting on seminars?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Also make it a habit to keep the stuff as clean as your mother wants you to have your underwear.
I'm in trouble...

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

archangle wrote:
Jen
Did they give you any indication of how it "failed?"
Archangle:
Yeah, it had black electrical tape on the power cord. I knew they might not pass it, it was my old M series machine, the one I replaced with the darn Icon, before I found this wonderful forum. I had worked on that M series ever since the DME who set me up with it went out of business. Always had trouble with that machine, but my ins required that I have it 5 yrs before they paid for another. If I had only waited a couple of months, I would have known the best machine to get, after finding you guys. I can't go back, but I do plan to get another machine next year, as well as my hubby has agreed to get tested & try CPAP, so I know which is the best machine for him.

Todzo:
I can't complain about their assessment of my machine since I knew mine probably would not pass their engineering standards. I may write them & educate the respiratory department about rainout. You would think they would have knowledge of this, that hospital has a sleep lab!

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

DocWeezy

Post by DocWeezy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about the bad hospital/cpap experiences. I've been in two different hospitals since June of this year, and each one was absolutely great about my cpap. Both asked about it at the pre-op meetings and told me to bring it with me when I checked in. It was labeled and was waiting for me in my room after surgery. My husband set it up both times. No one ever checked it or even looked at it.

The only time it was mentioned was at the second hospital when they discovered that my oxygen levels were going low (80%) even when I was wide awake (pretty heavily drugged) so they suggested that I either wear my mask all the time or try oxygen. Fortunately, the oxygen worked and it was nicer to wear during the day and then I used my cpap at night.

It seems like I was lucky with both hospitals. I'm astounded and dismayed at the ignorance of hospital personnel so many of you have come across.

Weezy

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:44 pm

My thought is the outfits that insist you use their equipment,
even if yours is better;
will do ANYTHING to add another item to your bill.
--even do harm to you.