flexable spending accounts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Issac

flexable spending accounts

Post by Issac » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:04 am

It might be a good idea to see what's left in your FSA if your company year end in Dec 31. Don't forget that CPAPs qualify as do all the masks,mask parts, filters, hoses and the like. These plans are "use it or loose it" so check to see what kind of balance you have and get to spending it. If your companies off them, It's always good to look into it. I think the limit is up to (you elect how mush) 2500.00 per year, and most take it out of your paycheck on a monthly or weekly basis and some match it. That money is not taxed and can be spent on anything medical that qualifies such as eyeglasses, contacts, teeth, a copay, prescribed medical device products and their co-pays. You get the drift. You can buy the items yourself and get reimbursed if the years contribution isn't high enough yet. It's just a good thing to have if you are dependent on medical device equipment that needs to be replenished every month or so. Some other things qualify like over the counter cold meds but I'm not sure - so look it up first.

flutterby11

Re: flexable spending accounts

Post by flutterby11 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 am

This year (2012) was my first year using an FSA. I have to say it came in handy many times. I didn't want to loose any money so we only did $500 for 2012. Since i've been diagnosed with OSA and i'm getting my machine soon and will have to figure out what works best for me we upped that to $800 for 2013. Wonderful thing to have

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 am

Last edited by cosmo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:59 pm

This year the federal FSA limit was $5,000. Next year it will be only $2,500. My hubby's company is offering the Health Savings Account which works unlike the FSA, you have the money deducted from your check, but can only use the HSA once the money is there. Also, the limit is $6,450, but to be able to use this you have to take out the ins plan that was crappy ($9,000 deductible). I'm not too badly effected since I have 2 other insurance coverages, for me, but hubby is going to be tested & probably go on CPAP. All the people who depended on the FSA's for rx & CPAP needs among other medical needs just got screwed.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Great news: The HCPCS number for cpap battery is E1399.
Sounds like it is an FSA item.
(fingers crossed)

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Great news: The HCPCS number for cpap battery is E1399.
(fingers crossed)
Can you post a link to the product please? Does it work with all machines? thanks

tqpannieasguestforgottologin

Post by tqpannieasguestforgottologin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm

jencat824 wrote:This year the federal FSA limit was $5,000. Next year it will be only $2,500. My hubby's company is offering the Health Savings Account which works unlike the FSA, you have the money deducted from your check, but can only use the HSA once the money is there. Also, the limit is $6,450, but to be able to use this you have to take out the ins plan that was crappy ($9,000 deductible). I'm not too badly effected since I have 2 other insurance coverages, for me, but hubby is going to be tested & probably go on CPAP. All the people who depended on the FSA's for rx & CPAP needs among other medical needs just got screwed.
Jen
Yeah the 2500.00 new limit is very frustrating as it's a family limit too--you use to be able to contribute 5000.00 if you had children. I have COPD and am on about 100.00 worth of medicine with insurance a month. Plus Dr. appointments, o2, cpap supplies. This is going to cripple me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:44 pm

If you compare local DME prices to online prices,
even adding taxes otherwise saved with FSA,
it's pretty close to a wash in my case,
and there's no pressure to burn it before it gets snatched away.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 pm

tqpannieasguestforgottologin wrote:
jencat824 wrote:This year the federal FSA limit was $5,000. Next year it will be only $2,500. My hubby's company is offering the Health Savings Account which works unlike the FSA, you have the money deducted from your check, but can only use the HSA once the money is there. Also, the limit is $6,450, but to be able to use this you have to take out the ins plan that was crappy ($9,000 deductible). I'm not too badly effected since I have 2 other insurance coverages, for me, but hubby is going to be tested & probably go on CPAP. All the people who depended on the FSA's for rx & CPAP needs among other medical needs just got screwed.
Jen
Yeah the 2500.00 new limit is very frustrating as it's a family limit too--you use to be able to contribute 5000.00 if you had children. I have COPD and am on about 100.00 worth of medicine with insurance a month. Plus Dr. appointments, o2, cpap supplies. This is going to cripple me.
I had always used the $5,000 for the same, meds, co-pmts, CPAP supplies, some other medical supplies, etc. Now we went with the new HSA to the the higher number but the plan is not a 'flexible' and I am afraid we made a mistake going with that. Probably should have accepted the $2,500 with better insurance.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:33 pm

With the $2,500 cap on FSA, it's going to save us almost $1,000 for me to pay into my employer's health insurance and stay on hubby's - this will cover all of my medications 100%. My CPAP and supplies were a one-time $50 co-pay, so nothing more to pay there, except any out of pocket extras I might want.

Hubby's meds and a few incidentals will be all we need the FSA for.

Cheers,
xena

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Last edited by cosmo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:10 pm

I've had no problem with FSA claims for any XPAP supplies purchased out of pocket. My purchases from cpap.com and my DME went through without a glitch.

As long as you have the required documentation, all should be good.

Cheers,
xena

Bons

Post by Bons » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 pm

We spent our $5000 FSA long ago. Next year will be difficult since we have a lower tier insurance and half the FSA. My husband is not allowed to get sick next year!

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:53 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Great news: The HCPCS number for cpap battery is E1399.
(fingers crossed)
Just a heads up, I bought a Lithium Ion battery pack. I also bought the S9 travel converter on the same receipt. FSA reimbursed with no problem. I do submit my cpap prescription each time to them to cover all bases.

But the invoice did have CPAP in the name and I bought from a CPAP store.
"Compact Portable 12V Super CPAP Battery Pack - 266 watt-hr".
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Compact-Po ... p_516.html#

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Well,we all can thank Mr. Obama for the new rule's..Love when our government can tell us how we can spend our money.But,our government can spend,spend without us telling them..Now,get ready for the next 4 yrs&beyond..If Obama has his way he will be our ruler for a long time.