Humidifier question - Do you need to use distilled water or

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: Humidifier question - Do you need to use distilled water or

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am

I used tap water where I was living before and just cleaned my tank weekly with vinegar. I started doing that one February because I had pneumonia and I was not going to haul home gallon jugs over icy sidewalks in -20c weather.

Right now I use distilled water because the tap water here STINKS as in smells and tastes foul.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:27 pm

As the water evaporates out of your water tank, you are concentrating whatever crud is in the tap water. There's the obvious problem with mineral build up in the tank, but I'm also concerned about other nutrients for the germs building up in the water.

In theory, germs growing in the water tank won't get into your lungs, but I'd rather not have them there in great quantities.

If I were using tap water, I'd probably dump and rinse the machine every night.

With distilled water, I top off when needed and clean weekly.

Take a clean glass full of water and set it aside and let it dry out completely. It will give you an idea how dirty your tap water actually is.

To me, the cost and hassle of distilled water is a good tradeoff vs. the extra cleaning for tap water. Plus the water tank probably needs to be replaced less often. There's also an "ick" factor.

ResMed used to make a dishwashable tank and a non-openable "standard" tank. I understand the "standard" tank now comes with a top you can open for cleaning. DougalMcDougal, does your tank open up for cleaning? If not, get a replacement tank that's openable if you're going to use tap water. I'd go ahead and spend the $35 or so for the dishwashable tank.

I always recommend distilled, but I won't berate someone who uses tap water as long as they dump daily and clean frequently.

BTW, it appears distilled water is not easily available in many areas outside the US. It is also more difficult for those who don't get to drive their car to the grocery store.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm

I just bought 2 bottles of store brand distilled water at my local Target today.
$1.02 + $.10 bottle deposit.

I also bought 1 gallon of Heinz vinegar.
$3.44 no bottle deposit.

I wonder if I should buy a water distiller device. Cost about $100 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATER-DISTILLER ... 256e2d721b

big_dave

Post by big_dave » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:00 pm

The mineral content of the local water supply makes a big difference in whether or not you can use tap water. The local water supply is very soft. My humidifier tank still looks like new after four months of using tap water, and cleaning by filling it with a 10% vinegar solution once a week. However, I spent a few nights in a neighboring town 20 miles away, where the water has a high iron content. I had difficulty even cleaning my mask with that water. I would switch to distilled water if I ever moved there.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Lots of people who buy distillers are unhappy with the longevity and reliability of their particular device, so research your particular model very carefully.

It will also take you quite a while to pay back your initial investment. Be sure you know what filters or any other consumables cost. Consider the effort of cleaning.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Our local H2O has high mineral content.
Even a gently used toilet tank looks like a limestone cave.
We distill--I'd prefer to have the extra space in the kitchen, but sacrifices must be made.
Distilling costs about 20 cents a gallon once the machine is paid for.
No worry about a jug freezing and splitting in the car in the winter.
We got our distiller for around 20 bucks used/returned to Sears.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:36 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:We got our distiller for around 20 bucks used/returned to Sears.
Got a model number/name for the unit you've got? How easy is it to maintain and clean? Comments about good/bad features?

Useful Links.

DougalMcDougal

Post by DougalMcDougal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:13 pm

I live in Sydney, Australia

I don't know what the tap water quality is like but it seems okay to taste and looks clear

my current regime is to wake up, empty the humidifier and fill it at night with filtered water from my fridge (my fridge has a built in water dispenser with filter for drinking)

I have never seen filtered water on sale in a shop so am unsurebhow easily obtainable it is, although I have never looked for it

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 pm

It is up to you.
I have used distilled water in my H5i for almost 2 years and it is clean and clear. I will continue to do so. You do whatever you want.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 am

DougalMcDougal wrote:I live in Sydney, Australia

I don't know what the tap water quality is like but it seems okay to taste and looks clear

my current regime is to wake up, empty the humidifier and fill it at night with filtered water from my fridge (my fridge has a built in water dispenser with filter for drinking)

I have never seen filtered water on sale in a shop so am unsurebhow easily obtainable it is, although I have never looked for it
'
You are good... heck, if you don't have any more problems than this, you are blessed. If you do, this is nothing. Sheriff

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 am

Our Sears distiller may not be a current model, we've had it for over 10 years.
US model #: 625.344800; Canadian model #: 625.75280 (both numbers on one unit)
It is not fast; and is obnoxiously noisy. Current input: 120v 60hz 500watt
My cost estimates are based on a Kill-a-watt meter set to local summer rates.
We clean the stainless steel lining of the heating pitcher with Rydlyme (Apex Engineering)
It looks similar to this model, but without the digital display. Ours is old and gnarly-looking.
http://www.sears.com/waterwise-water-wi ... 3163449422

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Yow!!! $500+

If I see one for $20, I'd buy it, too, though.

Useful Links.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm

One gallon of distiller water lasted 24 days in my humidifier. I figured I am using about 150 ml per day.

Last edited by JamesW6175 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Although I think my hubby's DME was trying to make sure everyone uses distilled (since I think Jeff has the WORST water in the country), but she said particles of water from the humidifier could break off & lodge in your lungs. I'm still trying to figure out just how that could happen. Let's see, the air goes over the heated water, then into the tube, then into our masK? Maybe its possible, but doesn't seem probable to me. Also, our water is so awful we have to use a water softner (not a distiller - different thing).

I think she just wants to promote cleanliness, and I want hubby to keep his humidifier in good shape (unlike mine), because if not, I'll have something extra to clean, so I'm making sure we both use distilled water. Its cheap & as long as I have him to haul the jugs, it works for me. Now if I had to haul gallon jugs, I'd be in trouble now, since my 'good' arm is having trouble (ulner nerve entrapment) and my other arm is taken up by my forearm crutch).

Since reading so much about cleaning here, I've stepped up my cleaning routine, still not washing masks daily, but doing better & washing weekly. My tank goes in the dishwasher now weekly. He's starting out taking care of his own stuff (washing, etc), so I'm impressed & yippee for me - he usually leaves anything that looks like cleaning for me, except the fish tank - that's all his to clean.

Anyway - anyone ever hear that about 'particles can get into your lungs'? Sounds strange to me.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm

the water where I am i won't even use in coffee makers - it is so hard it would wreck it in a year