1st week using my BIpap its a disaster (Newbie)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bodyroc

1st week using my BIpap its a disaster (Newbie)

Post by bodyroc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:15 pm

I am really trying to get this right it seems one problem after the next keeps happening. I guess I should start from the beginning.

I had my 1st sleep study October 30th several days later I got a call early in the morning telling me I have to be back there tonight because the doctor did not want me to go another night without a machine to help me breathe and sleep. My 2nd test was me being introduced to my mask and machine That night was also when they tested to see what my airflow setting should be. I was also told I do not breathe 29 minutes out of a hour in 10 or more second increments. Then they showed me how much oxygen get to my brain during the night. I found out it is worse when I am on my back. Due to the amount of oxygen I get the airflow settings on my BIpap is on 20. Now I can start right off at 20 or I can start at 10 and within 20 minutes it will slowly move up to 20.

In the hospital during testing I woke up several time to drink water and go to the bathroom. At the end of the test the nurse came in and told me all went well and I went into a deep sleep. Then she handed me a black bag and told me that it was my Bipap machine, humidifier and mask. Then she took it out and showed me how to set it up and use it. My equipment was donated to me from the hospital so I did not have to pay anything for it. She told me because of how severe my sleep apnea is the doctor did not want me to have to wait on my insurance to send me one.

Now I'm home with it and I have not slept a full night since I had it. I come to realize I have a phobia about the face mask, I feel like I'm claustrophobic and can't breathe right. The next problem I keep having to readjust the mask, air blows out the sides and into my eyes. I just can't get it right. I get a very dry mouth and a cough, so I have to keep taking off the mask it drink water. Now the main thing. Even starting at 10 the airflow feels to strong and it gets stronger and stronger until I feel like I'm fighting the air. Air is blowing up my nose down my throat and into my eyes I totally hate this thing. I have slept maybe 8 hours total since November 7th. Now I am scared and frustrated at the same time. I feel like I should have had some kind of training for this and I am left on my own to figure everything out.
[url]Image[/url]

49er

Re: 1st week using my BIpap its a disaster (Newbie)

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Bodyroc,

Welcome to the forum.

I am confused as to how the pressure was determined. Where you titrated on the machine and it took a pressure of 20 to stop the apneas?

What type of machine are you using?

If 20 is truly the pressure you need, perhaps it might be feasible to start with a lower pressure and work your way up to that. Of course, we would advise you to check with your doctor on that.

Sadly, what you describe about lack of training is quite common. And professionals wonder why the compliance rate is so low.

49er

PS - I assume 20 is the IPAP. What is the EPAP pressure?

bodyroc wrote:I am really trying to get this right it seems one problem after the next keeps happening. I guess I should start from the beginning.

I had my 1st sleep study October 30th several days later I got a call early in the morning telling me I have to be back there tonight because the doctor did not want me to go another night without a machine to help me breathe and sleep. My 2nd test was me being introduced to my mask and machine That night was also when they tested to see what my airflow setting should be. I was also told I do not breathe 29 minutes out of a hour in 10 or more second increments. Then they showed me how much oxygen get to my brain during the night. I found out it is worse when I am on my back. Due to the amount of oxygen I get the airflow settings on my BIpap is on 20. Now I can start right off at 20 or I can start at 10 and within 20 minutes it will slowly move up to 20.

In the hospital during testing I woke up several time to drink water and go to the bathroom. At the end of the test the nurse came in and told me all went well and I went into a deep sleep. Then she handed me a black bag and told me that it was my Bipap machine, humidifier and mask. Then she took it out and showed me how to set it up and use it. My equipment was donated to me from the hospital so I did not have to pay anything for it. She told me because of how severe my sleep apnea is the doctor did not want me to have to wait on my insurance to send me one.

Now I'm home with it and I have not slept a full night since I had it. I come to realize I have a phobia about the face mask, I feel like I'm claustrophobic and can't breathe right. The next problem I keep having to readjust the mask, air blows out the sides and into my eyes. I just can't get it right. I get a very dry mouth and a cough, so I have to keep taking off the mask it drink water. Now the main thing. Even starting at 10 the airflow feels to strong and it gets stronger and stronger until I feel like I'm fighting the air. Air is blowing up my nose down my throat and into my eyes I totally hate this thing. I have slept maybe 8 hours total since November 7th. Now I am scared and frustrated at the same time. I feel like I should have had some kind of training for this and I am left on my own to figure everything out.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:38 pm

There are a multiplicity of different mask configurations, the full face mask is only one of many. I was started on the Swift FX nasal pillow mask (just click on that on the bottom of this posting to read about it), which has a pretty open configuration, and I'm happy about that. I don't think that a full face mask would work for me, either, I'm also a bit on the claustrophobic side. So I think part of what I'd suggest doing is talking with your doctor about the problems that you're having and different possibilities for masks that would work for your pressure and help with the claustrophobia thing. They could then change your prescription (if they prescribed a specific mask, as they often do) and you could try a different style mask, which you may do several times before finding one that works for you. The important thing is to get you to be able to use the machine, since you apparently need it to stay healthy.

And reading lots of postings here will give you an idea of how others have struggled to make their peace with using CPAP. No one wants to start on this, but it can lead to feeling better on a daily basis, and better health for your heart, etc. once you've become accustomed to it. It takes some time, though, to find the configuration that works best for you, and some time to get used to sleeping with it, even in a configuration that is comfortable enough.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

bodyroc

Post by bodyroc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Yes I was titrated on the machine and it took a pressure of 20 to stop the apneas.

I am using a REMstar Pro M series 400m. All my equipment was given to me from the hospital.

I start with a pressure of 10 and it goes up to 20 within 20 minutes. I do not have a manual for my machine so the only thing I know what to do is turn it on, make it so the air comes out starting at 10 or 20 and turn it off.

On my humidifier all I do is turn it on , clean it, keep filter clean and by reading the information on this site to use distilled water.

I have no idea what my EPAP pressure is or software I am using I do not see my doctor again until January because he will be out of the country working.
[url]Image[/url]

bodyroc

Post by bodyroc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:52 pm

I was told I had to wear a full face mask because my mouth is always open while I sleep. I have a second mask the Quattro FX for Her Full Face CPAP Mask I will try to use tonight. I had this one on at the hospital also. Hopefully I can get it to fit correctly.
[url]Image[/url]

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:06 pm

If you're using a PRO... are you sure that you're using a bi-pap?

And you do know that an m-series is really outdated right? If your machine has an SD card instead of a smart card (size of a credit card) then you actually have a PR S1 not an M series.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:16 pm

cflame1 wrote:If you're using a PRO... are you sure that you're using a bi-pap?

And you do know that an m-series is really outdated right? If your machine has an SD card instead of a smart card (size of a credit card) then you actually have a PR S1 not an M series.
Unless I am misreading things,
cflame1 wrote:REMstar Pro M series 400m
If it is this machine, http://www.medwow.com/used-cpap-equipme ... _60168.med, that is definitely not a bipap. No wonder you are so uncomfortable if this is the machine. Most people get a true bipap at pressures around 15.

49er

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:23 pm

agreed... but you've misquoted me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Donated machine until the bipap arrives.
(they HAVE ordered a bipap, right--that is what you need.)
I understand giving you what they have handy until you can get the correct equipment.
It is better than nothing, but a lot less comfortable. Use it anyway, you need to.
I wonder if the person gave you the WRONG BAG?
You might want to call the hospital, and ask them what's up.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:47 pm

cflame1 wrote:agreed... but you've misquoted me.
My apologies as I am dealing with big time brain fog today. No offense intended.

49er

bodyroc

Post by bodyroc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:48 pm

The card in the machine is the size of a credit card. I will call the hospital and find out if this is the one I should have or not. Whats so upsetting about all this is they do not tell you much of nothing, it's up to you to find out and research whats going on with yourself and your equipment. I will keep using it until the one from my insurance company come. I still have to pick one out for them also.
[url]Image[/url]

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:49 pm

bodyroc wrote:I was told I had to wear a full face mask because my mouth is always open while I sleep. I have a second mask the Quattro FX for Her Full Face CPAP Mask I will try to use tonight. I had this one on at the hospital also. Hopefully I can get it to fit correctly.
Some people deal with the "mouth breathing" problem by using a "chin strap" that can hold your mouth closed if a full face mask is not for them. Mouth-taping is also a choice for those that want to use a nasal or nasal pillow mask for the openess of it, but tend to breathe through their mouth. There really are lots of options out there if you can't find a full face mask that meets your needs *smile*.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:47 pm

And as for the professionals not knowing beans; that's how it can be right now with CPAP.
(depending on where you live)
We educate ourselves because we can't afford to wait for the professionals to get caught up.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi - there's another thing... if you feel that because of the high pressure you end up having trouble EXhaling, look at your manual and see if it has either a C-flex or A-flex feature that can make exhaling easier... if you don't have a manual, you can get one from http://apneaboard.com. Good luck, and give yourself a little more time.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm sorry you are having all these challenges. The good news is that you are in the right place to find support and experienced users who have educated themselves. I'm only a few months into cpap and I've found that some of the people on this forum are dedicated to helping newbies solve their problems. I'm not experienced or knowledgeable enough to offer advice but I can tell you it gets easier as you progressively fine tune your equipment to meet your unique needs. Following through on the advice I've been given here has made a difference.