Back pain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hopefull

Back pain

Post by Hopefull » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:09 am

I've been on cpap for just under three months 100 percent compliant averaging just over 8 hours a night. My numbers seem to be getting better and better. I try to post reports in a bit. My question is this though. After sleeping for about five or six hours most nights I get severe pain in my back that I didn't have before. After being up for a while the pain goes away. Our mattress is only a couple years old. I was wondering if maybe the pain could be from swallowing air over night. Which would explain it not starting until after sleeping for a while. I do seem to have a lot of extra gas not meaning to be crude. Any advice would be appreciated

zoocrewphoto

Re: Back pain

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:13 am

I have found that I don't move around as much when I sleep with cpap. So, sometimes, I am more stiff. It could be that you aren't moving much, and you just aren't used to that yet.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 am

The first few weeks I would wake up with incredible stiff and painful hips. This was probably the first time in 20 years I was sleeping all night in the same position. I added a mattress pad and an old comforter to my bed and a new pillow. That took care of it.

The pillow is especially important since your neck controls a lot. If your pillow does not support your neck the tension will be transferred along the back until it finds a weak spot. The other thing is not to torque your spine. You may want to put a pillow under your knees, if you are a side sleeper, to keep your hips in line with your shoulders.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Hopefull

Post by Hopefull » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 am

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Me too, hopefull. And just around the same point in time after starting cpap. I think the combination of staying in one position all night and the physical tension of sleeping in such an unnatural way and not being used to it yet have been culprits I'm sure. I'm trying acupuncture, stretching and massage, also sometimes going to sleep with a warmed up heating pad (microwaveable, not electric!) under my back have all helped some.

Hopefull

Post by Hopefull » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm still turning over several times a night so I'm not convinced that its just from being in the same spot all night. Had thought about going to the chiropractor but dint really have the money. Might try the heating pads I hadn't thought about that. Willing to try anything. I hope you get what's going on with you figured out and if I come up with any answers I'll let you know

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:44 pm

It usually gets better, it did for me; amazing, even.
I could NOT sleep on my back for long, as the pain always woke me up.
Now, no pain. I don't understand it, but I wish the same for you, too.

Hopefull

Post by Hopefull » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Thank you good to here. That's what puzzles me though because I don't sleep on my back never have. Trusting it will get better though

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Hopefull wrote:I'm still turning over several times a night so I'm not convinced that its just from being in the same spot all night. Had thought about going to the chiropractor but dint really have the money. Might try the heating pads I hadn't thought about that. Willing to try anything. I hope you get what's going on with you figured out and if I come up with any answers I'll let you know
You could still be much longer in one position then before. You sleep deeper, relax deeper into these positions. Mattresses which were comfortable before now are too hard. Pillows become very, very important.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Hopefull wrote: I hope you get what's going on with you figured out and if I come up with any answers I'll let you know
Please do, and ditto -- thanks!

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:32 pm

I found a sheep skin cover over the mattress helped with lower back pain.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

For some a small pillow under the neck in addition to your main pillow might help to stabilize above the shoulders for one position sleeping. Even if we get our head position right, we have to think about any pressure on our neck that gets transferred down.
BlackSpinner wrote:The first few weeks I would wake up with incredible stiff and painful hips. This was probably the first time in 20 years I was sleeping all night in the same position. I added a mattress pad and an old comforter to my bed and a new pillow. That took care of it.

The pillow is especially important since your neck controls a lot. If your pillow does not support your neck the tension will be transferred along the back until it finds a weak spot. The other thing is not to torque your spine. You may want to put a pillow under your knees, if you are a side sleeper, to keep your hips in line with your shoulders.