Nikken experience anyone?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bright Choice

Nikken experience anyone?

Post by Bright Choice » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I am recovering from back surgery, slow but sure. I have typical post-op pain but no other complications other than "fibromyalgia" type symptoms which have been rather nasty. I have been told to give it a year before I am back to my "normal".

I have a friend who sells Nikken products and she wants me to try a mattress pad and comforter to see if it will help me feel better and sleep better. Many years ago I had a Nikken experience that was not good. I had a very severe "detox" reaction and was told then that this particular sales person had me try too many different products at one time. At any rate, I am leary.

I did a search here some time ago and there was a thread or two where people felt Nikken was not effective and pretty much a scam.

I thought I'd check in here to get some further opinions. If you have any experience, either positive or negative, I'd love to have you post your thoughts.

Thanks!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Nikken experience anyone?

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:12 pm

These guys give me the creeps.
I expect a water moccasin to crawl out of their bags any time.
Of course, being green, I may be a bit prejudiced. . .

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Try it on the condition that you have a 30 day return option.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:57 pm

I've had 3 back surgery's and the best thing I've found for me is the Select Comfort bed. I know some people say there a glorified air mattress, but it works and that's all that counts. I can adjust it for my needs for that night or find a setting that's just right and leave it or until I have to adjust to compensate for some other pains.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:05 pm

After years of severe sciatica pain several times a year, I bought a latex mattress at Ikea on advice from my chiropractor. This was 3.5 years ago and I have not had any back problems at all since then.

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:54 pm

IMNSHO magnets have no healing powers. I would spend the money on a good mattress. You've already had two good suggestions. I have a tempurpedic and love it. I got the adjustable one so I sleep with my head raised slightly and if my legs are tired or swollen I can raise my legs. It's heaven.

If you can't do the whole hog for a new mattress you could get a memory foam topper.

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 pm

I've been sleeping on a Nikken mattress pad and with a comforter for about 15 yrs. I get my best sleep on the mattress (OSA notwithstanding)
I use some of the other products as well. Post knee replacement, I used a knee wrap and the CM cream. My surgeon was impressed with how quickly I healed.
I wear the "backflex" pretty much everyday, I have issues with my hip flexers and my sacrium.

Try them out and see if they help you out. Any consultant that I've dealt with always has products to loan out so you can try them.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:34 pm

We bought a very inexpensive Serta memory foam mattress.
It is more comfortable than almost any of the expensive mattresses we looked at.
At only $329, it was better-feeling than everything but the $2000 brand name memory foam,
and we can afford to replace it long before it wears out.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:46 pm

If you are brave enough to go back in time... I have the perfect waterbed, a Strobel 1900 waveless, incased in a SensaSack. Sounds like a lock of mumbo-jumbo, but this combo has worked fine. My hubby started a job 15 yrs ago which envolved heavy lifting. Thought I was going to have to give up my beloved waterbed (at the time was full wave), but worked out a great solution, the Strobel. Google Strobel beds and they also have many non-waterbed solutions too. If I sleep anywhere else I have 2 problems, 1 cannot stay in the bed, roll or kick out of it (don't wake up, just fall out & keep sleeping), and 2 wake up with back pain. My bed, no pain and I stay in it. This solution is expensive, so you might just want to try a Select Comfort, however I have a couple of friends who have gotten this same bed solution and love it.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Magnets? I will send you all my kids' old refrigerator magnets and you can stick them under your mattress. I think it will be just as effective, and cheaper.

Just kidding! I don't know anything about this topic, so maybe there is something to it. (But I doubt it.)
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

barnlofter

Post by barnlofter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 pm

It's not uncommon for some people to go through a detox when they try the magnets. Make sure your drinking lots of water when your trying the pad. Sometimes I will introduce just the car seat for them to start on to see how their body reacts. You are 99.9999999 % magnetic energy (yes I know that is 7 nines). That's the amount of free space in an atoms after accounting for the nucleus and electrons. The rest is filled with an electro-magnetic field. Magnetic fields can have positive and negative affects on all living creatures. 7.8 Hertz field is what you need and Nikken magnets have just that. :O)

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Such great responses from everyone, thanks!

I have to replace the pump on my Sleep Comfort (slow leak) so your comments have motivated me to do that.

Wondering if there is anyone out there with personal experience. I wouldn't mind doing the demo but the bedding is so expensive I really don't think I would put that kind of money into it. I don't mind spending $ on things that will promote health, but this just seems so iffy.

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Bright Choice wrote:Such great responses from everyone, thanks!

Wondering if there is anyone out there with personal experience. I wouldn't mind doing the demo but the bedding is so expensive I really don't think I would put that kind of money into it. I don't mind spending $ on things that will promote health, but this just seems so iffy.
See my response below. I don't sell Nikken, just a satisfied customer
JO'M wrote:I've been sleeping on a Nikken mattress pad and with a comforter for about 15 yrs. I get my best sleep on the mattress (OSA notwithstanding)
I use some of the other products as well. Post knee replacement, I used a knee wrap and the CM cream. My surgeon was impressed with how quickly I healed.
I wear the "backflex" pretty much everyday, I have issues with my hip flexers and my sacrium.

Try them out and see if they help you out. Any consultant that I've dealt with always has products to loan out so you can try them.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 pm

In 2000, I had some back surgery and with that I was determined to be in the most comfortable, not hot mattress. My hubby and I splurged on a solid Latex Mattress and we LOVE it! I wish you luck with whatever you choose.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Bright Choice wrote:I have to replace the pump on my Sleep Comfort (slow leak) so your comments have motivated me to do that.
How long have you had that Select Comfort? I had one replaced under warranty and I had it for 5 years. I'd give them a call and ask, nothing to loose by asking.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV