Eeegads Elan

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
portiemom

Eeegads Elan

Post by portiemom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:42 am

I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems with their beloved Elan Nasal Mask? In recent weeks I have been experiencing the dreaded fart noise no matter how I adjust this mask. Too weird as I have been loving the Elan for well over 2 months. I've two so they are always clean, but I don't seem to be able to get a good seal. Any suggestions are welcome as I've had to go back to my Aloha.
Thanks

jencat824

Re: Eeegads Elan

Post by jencat824 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:49 am

You might have the upper adjust straps too tight. I had a problem similar to yours with my Elan and after some frustration (I use the Elan when I have a sore in my nose and cannot use the Piliaro) I undid all the straps and re strapped them, using the video (you can find this online) and the' farting' noise went away. I hope this helps.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:29 pm

I have been told that the recommended replacement for the élan cushion may be as short as 2 weeks.
Apparently some insurance will cover it that often. After about 5 weeks, mine get a bit scratchy
at the edges of the tabs, and stains on the places that touch my face.
If the plastic backing starts to pull free, it may block the vent holes--time to replace!

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:54 pm

My first elan got very stretched out around the nose in about 2.5 - 3 months. Has it been out that long? I got it the first day it was available from cpap.com. I bought my sister one for her to try but she didn't like it. So, when I couldn't stand the leaks anymore I switched to the new mask. PERFECT! No leaks. I'm betting I'll have to replace mine every couple of months. The Elan is HEAVEN when it doesn't leak. I've bought these out of pocket, so I don't know how often my insurance will replace it.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:09 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I have been told that the recommended replacement for the élan cushion may be as short as 2 weeks.
That could be very costly for someone who doesn't have insurance!

I was using the Elan for awhile and switched back to the Bella Loops... glad I did for comfort reasons mostly.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I don't know how common is the need to replace the cushion every 2 weeks--
daily washing is essential for comfort and leak control. (and quite effective)
As I mentioned, Mine are still good up to 5 weeks or so.

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:01 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I don't know how common is the need to replace the cushion every 2 weeks--
daily washing is essential for comfort and leak control. (and quite effective)
As I mentioned, Mine are still good up to 5 weeks or so.
OMG....does anybody have that kind of issue with the SW advanced? I have the one I bought 15 months ago, and am taking it on my short trip to MN tomorrow. (Have to admit I am stingy about washing it; figure the less washing the more life to be had out of it.) My second SW is still like new at several months old, and I just got a new one, expecting the original one to be dead by now. Of course, it may die on the trip
I did try the eLan, but it seemed lass stable and more susceptible to dislodging when i toss and turn. So I sent it back and CPAP.com did a swap for the latest Advanced SW. n0hardmask

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 am

My skin is fairly oily, (even for my age) and cloth masks are slightly stiff after just one night.
I suspect my situation is unique, Circadiance recommends daily cleaning--I need it;
others may not. YMMV