new to Cpap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Angelika64

new to Cpap machine

Post by Angelika64 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:02 am

i just have this machine since Tusday.It is horrible for me.I am a light sleeper.Meaning every noise in the house or from the outside wakes me up.I wonder how others have over come the challenge to getting used to the noise of their sleep apnea machine and also to the outflow of their nostril mask?Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Julie

Re: new to Cpap machine

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:55 am

Hi - what machine and mask (full name & model #'s) do you have? And do you know what your pressure's set at?

Your machine shouldn't make much noise at all, and the 'outflow' you talk about sounds more like the CO2 vent (tiny holes in a coin-sized patch) than anything else - that must never be covered by bedding or you'll end up re-breathing it, which is not a good idea at all, but it also should not be that noisy, if it does get a bit cold for a foot or so beyond it.

Without more info, we can't help a lot but would like to, so get back and we'll try.

locust78

Post by locust78 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:09 am

I run an air purifier while I sleep. The noise it produces is a kind of white noise that masks the intermittent sound of my CPAP machine. If you don't want to go the air purifier route, you can buy a white noise machine that will drown out the CPAP noise.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 am

As Locust stated, I always run a floor fan while sleeping. It drowns out all noise including the cpap machine and provides cooling. As Julie stated, a lot of noise can come your mask vent. Don't try to cover the vent, it removes the CO2. I have learned that after a while, you can get used to the noise.

Sheriff

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:50 am

my S9 is a little bit noisy until it gets to the full pressure Bipap settings of 21 /15.

After it reached full pressure it is extremely quiet.

I'd love to put some duct tape over the on/off light beacon though

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 am

I'm only a few days ahead of you. I am a light sleeper as well. I don't think the machine noise keeps me awake, but sometimes the nasal pillows will whistle, and that is distracting. Despite that, I have fallen asleep. Last night was night 8, and I slept the best so far, though its relative! At least, I didn't spend part of the night freaking out about feeling like I was suffocating.... many thanks to Pugsy's tips.

Could you wear earplugs?
Angelika64 wrote:i just have this machine since Tusday.It is horrible for me.I am a light sleeper.Meaning every noise in the house or from the outside wakes me up.I wonder how others have over come the challenge to getting used to the noise of their sleep apnea machine and also to the outflow of their nostril mask?Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Floor fan or an old-fashioned white noise machine. Not one of the cheap pre-recorded noise makers either, something that causes the noise by the movement of air.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm not a light sleeper, but hubby is. We sleep with a box fan running, I use earplugs for the odd times he snores and neither of us can hear my CPAP machine or mask vent at all.

To succeed with XPAP therapy you must have a positive attitude, patience, perseverance and the desire to not want to get some nasty complications from not treating your OSA.

It sounds easy, but when you're sleep deprived, crabby and trying to become accustomed to sleeping with a contraption strapped to your face - it's very difficult. It's even more difficult if you don't have the above attributes.

Please stick with it, read lots here, ask lots of questions and TRY EVERYTHING recommended to you. This is YOUR therapy and what works for me, may not work for you.

It does get easier (providing you can improve those things in the 2nd paragraph), but it won't happen overnight, or maybe even several nights or much longer.

Hang in there - the great people here will help you get through this.

cheers,
xena

jjmahern

Post by jjmahern » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:55 pm

I realize now that this my answer to a lot of things but I think wearing mask with machine on during the evening before bed while doing other things, will allow your body to adjust to the sounds and feelings of it. It is called sensory adaptation or neural adaptation. Google it if you want to find out more. Basically the longer our exposure to a particular stimulus, the less aware of the stimulus we are.

jzap

Post by jzap » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 pm

At first, my wife was distracted by the "noise" of the CPAP machine running, until we found that the little table that we had it on was touching the headboard of the bed. The headboard was acting as a sounding board, amplifying the sound of the CPAP. Once we moved the table 1/2 inch away from the bed, it got really quiet. It was an oddball thing, but you may want to check your setup.

SW Ohio

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 am

Whenever the exhaust vent points too close to bedding, it gets noisy--punching the bedding out of the way helps.
I notice a little 'sigh' from my Autoset when I exhale--but only when I am lying with my good ear up.
When I roll over, I don't hear it at all. Maybe you could try these (or another brand):
http://www.hearos.com/earplugs/sleep

Pachyderm's Nose

Post by Pachyderm's Nose » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 am

Part of it is adapting to the machine and mask. The first few weeks I woke up to every leak but as I adjusted and eliminated some of the leaks I awoke fewer times and easily fall back to sleep. It's a big change it takes time.

Please have your equipment shown as text, it's much easier to tell what model you are using!