Newbie. How keep the mask on?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
maxjrs@gmail.com

Newbie. How keep the mask on?

Post by maxjrs@gmail.com » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 am

I've been struggling with the machine for almost a month now, and I think I've had 4 maybe 5 nights keeping the nose thing on all night. I wake up with the nose thing next to me blowing air into nothing. Sometimes I have recollections of taking of the chin strap and nose things off, but more often than not it happens when I very hard asleep. Have you any ideas of something I can do?

Thank you,
Max

Sheriff Buford

Re: Newbie. How keep the mask on?

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm

After getting the mask in place, try using some tape. If you try to remove the mask at night, the tape will wake you up.

Sheriff

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:33 pm

If needed, get a little hair under the tape.
That will surely get your attention.

Henry Jr

Post by Henry Jr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm

If your machine has the option; turn on the "Leak Alert" function/alarm.
Some don't like the alarm, but...
I'd rather be awakened by an alarm telling me that I'm not getting therapy
than blissfully "sleep" while the pressure I need blows uselessly into the air.

Is minic a bhris béal duine a shrón.
It's often a man's mouth that breaks his nose.

xamiam

Post by xamiam » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks, I'll look for the alarm and try the tape. Since I have a beard, that's why I am using the "nasal pillows", getting a little hair under the tape won't be a problem. Sorry about the "Quote" marking of the original post, I evidently wasn't paying attention.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 am

Hi Max,

Welcome to the forum. I see that you have a swift FX will the bella loops. Did you get the regular headgear for the swift as well? Either way my feeling is that you need to "train" your unconscious brain to accept the mask. Many people in the forum have suggested wearing the mask while you are awake, watching tv, reading to get your brain "used" to the idea of wearing a mask.

For me, at first I wore the mask before bed and just kinda got myself in a happy place. I also used a ruby adjustable chin strap and put it over the mask straps. That really held everything in place. Wasn't as comfortable as having the mask over the strap but it kept everything in place.

Over the course of several months I have now trained my brain to leave the mask alone (or actually adjust the mask when I turn over on my side) and keep my mouth shut so much so I haven't worn the chin strap in a couple of weeks!

Take care, tis a journey not a destination

-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

Xney

Post by Xney » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 am

I had to use tape for about 6 months to train myself to keep it on. Now I only remove it maybe twice a month.

The adjustment period was.. not fun.

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Possibly one important thing to remember is to not get upset or mad that you slept without the mask. Instead, try to figure out why you're taking it off (too tight? too loose? leaky? humidity? temperature? stuffy nose?).

About once a month I'll have a night where I take the mask off and sleep without it. When I wake up later, I'll just put it back on and roll back over to sleep.

ems

Post by ems » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 am

I use the Bella Loops also. After trying a few other masks, this one works best for me.

Several weeks ago I started taking the mask off in the middle of the night. I hadn't even done that when I first started using a mask over a year ago. Sometimes I remember taking it off, some days I would wake up, see the mask on my bed and have no idea how it got there. I'm guessing the mask would start leaking loudly and I would take it off and turn off the machine.

I decided to work really hard on waking up fully and putting the mask right back on. I've been doing pretty well. What helps me is making the mask tight enough so that it doesn't fall off when I move around... but not so tight it's uncomfortable.

I wish you good luck with it... it does take time and perseverance.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~