How do I get data out of my CPAP device?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: How do I get data out of my CPAP device?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Was the second sleep over when you were there for the titration study to find suitable pressures and they didn't get enough data?
Or were there 2 diagnostic (no cpap machine use) one with the higher AHI and the second with the 17 AHI?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:00 pm

The second sleep over was using the improperly fitted mask and the CPAP machine. The first sleep over was without the mask.

I still find it strange that from the beginning of using the home VPAP machine, my AHI has always been in the 3 to 5 range, when it was 68.0 on the first sleep over.

I'll be seeing my new doctor again in three weeks and this will be one of the things we'll discuss.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 pm

wardmiller wrote: I still find it strange that from the beginning of using the home VPAP machine, my AHI has always been in the 3 to 5 range, when it was 68.0 on the first sleep over.
Ward, I'm not surprised. If your airway is kept open, you will have very few apneas. It is a very mechanical event. Collapsed airway = many apneas. Open airway = few (or no) apneas. As long as your machine is keeping your airway open, you should have AHI in the 5 or under range.

Since my titration, I've averaged an AHI below 4, usually below 2.

This is one of the reasons I'm so thrilled with CPAP (and friends). With no surgery, and no long recovery period, you get nearly immediate relief (as long as you the mask fits, and you can still sleep, which I know is still difficult for some).

John

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:17 pm

wardmiller wrote:I still find it strange that from the beginning of using the home VPAP machine, my AHI has always been in the 3 to 5 range, when it was 68.0 on the first sleep over.
As John has said...all this means is the machine is doing a good job. Working like it is supposed to.
The 68 AHI was without a machine....with the machine use we want it nice and low like you are seeing with the 3 to 5 range.
The machine is doing what it is designed to do....limit and prevent the apnea events.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Pugsy wrote:
wardmiller wrote:I still find it strange that from the beginning of using the home VPAP machine, my AHI has always been in the 3 to 5 range, when it was 68.0 on the first sleep over.
As John has said...all this means is the machine is doing a good job. Working like it is supposed to.
The 68 AHI was without a machine....with the machine use we want it nice and low like you are seeing with the 3 to 5 range.
The machine is doing what it is designed to do....limit and prevent the apnea events.
Thanks to JohnO and Pugsy for their recent posts, I'm slowly getting educated.

Now one question to close out this thread: How do I print out charts (in either SleepyHead or SesScan) so I can show them to my doctor? The one SleepHead summary page is fine, but I'd like to show him more details and trends.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:58 pm

With SleepyHead just take a screen shot of the image you want to save. Save it as a jpeg file where you can open it and then use the print option that comes with whatever you open it with.

ResScan lets you save the reports as a separate pdf document report then you can open it using Adobe Acrobat (or similar pdf program) and print from there. They can also be emailed to someone.

Or you can also do the same screen shot method for which ever ResScan report you wish to have a copy of.

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Pugsy, I used to have a program that would take screen shots, but lost it when I moved to a new computer. What do you use for taking screen shots?

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:11 pm

wardmiller wrote:Pugsy, I used to have a program that would take screen shots, but lost it when I moved to a new computer. What do you use for taking screen shots?
Ward - what OS are you using? WIndows 7 ships with something called "Snipping Tool" that works fine for capturing screen shots, or sections of screens.

John

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:27 pm

I use the Snipping Tool...available in Windows 7 and Vista unless the Basic. Usually found in Accessories. I love it because it lets me take the screen shot and crop all in one motion. Google Snipping Tool and you can learn about it. It isn't available at all on XP OS though.

There is a way for people to use the prt/scr key and Paint Program but it is much more time consuming.
Google "how to take a screen shot on XP" and you can find out about that way.
For those people who don't have the Snipping Tool there are any number of free screen shot taking programs.
I think Screen Hunter is one that is fairly popular.

Suddenly Worn Out

Post by Suddenly Worn Out » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:54 pm

you can try water boarding your CPAP to get data out of it.

Eric

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:20 am

wardmiller wrote:...when I ran ResScan I could not designate where to get the data. So I plugged the SD Card and its Reader in the USB port and ResScan found it. (I've been a programmer at a major computer company for forty years and never would have done the program that way. It could default to find the SD Card or the CPAP, but I would also offer, for the advanced users, the option of specifying where the data would be found.)
Medical software tends to be really badly written, and oriented for use by people who have no idea how to use a computer.

They also want to be sure no one can blame the computer for switching the results for two patients. If the only place the program can get the data is from the SD card, you can't blame the program for choosing the wrong patient's data.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:31 am

Ward - I've tried several screen capture programs over the years. My current favorite by far is now Screenhunter.

Free download here: http://tinyurl.com/8pogxdv

That said, I've always created the pdf files (as Pugsy said) to make printouts for my doctor.

boopy612

Post by boopy612 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 am

Hi 3 weeks ago a technician installed a card into my machine to record usuage I took it out mailed it back to the company & a week later they r telling me there is nothing on the card. I need this for bariatric surgery any help with please

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:53 am

Well can you at least give us the FULL name and model # (top wording and #'s under machine) of your machine?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 am

boopy612 wrote:Hi 3 weeks ago a technician installed a card into my machine to record usuage I took it out mailed it back to the company & a week later they r telling me there is nothing on the card. I need this for bariatric surgery any help with please
Can't help without knowing what type of machine you are using.
Almost all cpap machines will record at least hours of use which should record and write to the SD card. For them to see nothing at all makes me wonder if they are using the correct software or maybe a problem with the SD card.