How often do you change your nasal pillow?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
king_alvaro

How often do you change your nasal pillow?

Post by king_alvaro » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Normally, my pillows only last 4 weeks. But if I boiled them they last me another week. Also I alternated them when old. Doing this they last me about 5 weeks in average.

It is expensive to be replacing them every 5 weeks. I don't have insurance so I pay out of pocket. Also, I don't go to see my sleep doctor because I don't have insurance. Anyways I dont need him. I get more advice in this forum. You guys know more than the Dr.

JeffL

Re: How often do you change your nasal pillow?

Post by JeffL » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm

My insurance will pay for new ones every month, but I don't understand why they need to be replaced so often. I'm on month 14 of my original pillows. Actually, I'm on month 14 of everything except the filters. I've got all new stuff (hoses, humidifier tank, headgear with nasal pillows), but I haven't even opened the box yet. Just keeping it for backup. Image

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Some people can get months and months of use out of their nasal pillows and the next person might be lucky to get 2 weeks before they don't want to work properly any more.
I typically rotate 2 or 3 for at least 6 months or more and they usually get tossed from being ugly looking more than anything else.

I think it may be a combination of things. Skin oils and cleaning regiment maybe. I don't have any proof. Just theory.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:59 am

How do you wash them? Maybe dishwashing would be worth trying.

Nasal masks seem to last longer. Maybe it might be worthwhile to try one of them.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:16 am

I get over a year of use from nasal pillows. I wash weekly with dawn dishwashing liquid then soak for 5 minutes in 1 part vinegar:2 parts water. Then rinse very very well.

Brenda

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 am

I wash mine every morning with SoftSoap liquid hand soap; takes about 10 seconds. Every Sunday, I wash them, along with everything else with Dawn.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:26 am

Resmed redesign their pillows to break down sooner so they can sell more, as most insurance plans allow 2 a month.
I used to be able to get the old milky colour swift pillows to last 6 months, but when they redesigned them to be thinner and clearer they were lasting me 2 months max.

My new Alpha masks pillows last me 6 months easily. Another good reason to be resmed free

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:50 am

Over 2 years on the same pillows for my Opus 360. 18 months on my Swift FX pillows. Haven't noticed any change in them from when they were new, but then I don't use them every night.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:Over 2 years on the same pillows for my Opus 360. 18 months on my Swift FX pillows. Haven't noticed any change in them from when they were new, but then I don't use them every night.
2 years for a set of pillows Thats some stint.

What do you clean them with?

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Mine start to soften and leak after 3-4 weeks. Going to try and boil them. I really want to try the Aloha and Pilairo.
Sleep well and live better!

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, my insurance sends way too many refills for mine. Using the F&P Piliaro I found it leaked and came off frequently at nite, so I super-glued it to the base and have had no more trouble. Just superglued new pad to mask & haven't had any trouble. I guess I don't wash my mask as much as most of you do. I just let the air from the machine dry it out & change when super-glue doesn't work anymore.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

king_alvaro

Post by king_alvaro » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 pm

I see people use their pillows for a long time. One said that it lasted them for 18 months. If I used them for more than five weeks I will start getting small leaks.
When I am in bed it is very annoying to have leaks. Therefore, I get a new one. If I didn't mind the leaks they probably could last me 18 months or more until they disintegrate.

I have not used dish washing soap. I always rinse them with water with hot water. I never was them with any soap. Probably that is a secret to make them last longer.

tonyc79

Post by tonyc79 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:10 pm

I have a resmed machine and I change my pillows about once a year. I definetly don't wash it as often as I should either, maybe once a month a good washing for the hose/mask/pillow with dawn dish soap. And a tri-monthly vinegar bath for my humidifier tank.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 am

I really wish some enterprising Chinese entrepreneur would start bootlegging CPAP mask parts. There's no excuse for not being able to get a dozen pillows for $30, including shipping.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 am

Uncle_Bob wrote:
Slartybartfast wrote:Over 2 years on the same pillows for my Opus 360. 18 months on my Swift FX pillows. Haven't noticed any change in them from when they were new, but then I don't use them every night.
2 years for a set of pillows Thats some stint.

What do you clean them with?
I don't clean them. I only wipe them with a tissue. No soap, no disinfectants, no nothing.

My experience has been that if I start getting leaks it's because I need to trim my nose hairs. Keep them short and use a little dab of K-Y jelly or Astroglide (same thing) on the nostrils and the pillows seal perfectly. Leaks are almost nothing. But I DO get leaks if my nose hairs get too long.