Full Face Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
glg

Full Face Mask

Post by glg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Monday, I went to my pulmonologist for a six week check up after beginning SA therapy. Initially, I had a lot of anxiety with the mask, the machine, and the life change. I have since gotten over most of that, although some nights, I still have a difficult time falling and staying asleep. I found that with a nasal mask, after relaxing, I would open my mouth. I started using a chin strap, but with mixed results. After talking to the Dr., I have to return to the sleep center to get fitted for a full face mask. I've read here on the forum that some folks have problems with their ffm sliding around and leaking. I know everyone is shaped differently, but are there one or two masks that stand out from the others as being generally better than the rest?
Thanks
Gary

Lizistired

Re: Full Face Mask

Post by Lizistired » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I don't know as I am in a similar situation so I'll just bump your thread.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:21 am

glg wrote:Monday, I went to my pulmonologist for a six week check up after beginning SA therapy. Initially, I had a lot of anxiety with the mask, the machine, and the life change. I have since gotten over most of that, although some nights, I still have a difficult time falling and staying asleep. I found that with a nasal mask, after relaxing, I would open my mouth. I started using a chin strap, but with mixed results. After talking to the Dr., I have to return to the sleep center to get fitted for a full face mask. I've read here on the forum that some folks have problems with their ffm sliding around and leaking. I know everyone is shaped differently, but are there one or two masks that stand out from the others as being generally better than the rest?
Thanks
Gary
Hi Gary,

As a full face mask connoisseur , the answer is no since mask choice is so individualized.

In my own situation, I have decided that for now, the quattro FX is my best option. It seems to be a popular choice and one you might want to look into.

Another thing to consider is your pressure needs as some masks are better at higher pressures than others.

Also, I would go to cpap.com and read the reviews of full face masks. It is not going to tell you everything but if you see reviews by people who are in a similar situation to yours, that might be a clue to mask choice.

Good luck.

49er

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:39 am

According to cpap.com...the Mirage Quattro is their most popular FF Mask

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 am

Everyone is different. The ONLY FFM I've been able to use is the F&P 431.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:14 am

Since fit is everything, and face shape is the big factor here, I advise you to try as many as you need to,
using whatever return policy is feasible--even to paying for return insurance.
Most styles were less than optimal for me, ranging from poor seals to blisters.
I finally found one that works on my unique face.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/comfor ... dgear.html
--and the new, improved model:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-com ... -mask.html
Remember, YMMV.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 am

The ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face (UMFF) mask has been the best for me. (seven and a half years)
Have also tried the ResMed Mirage Quattro (OK) and Respironics Comfortfull 2 (BAD).

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Quattro FX is popular, but I had trouble with leaks between the eyes because the mask would get pushed around if I tried to sleep on my side (even with a CPAP pillow).

Mirage Quattro is very similar to the QFX, but has the forehead stabilizer which makes it less prone to shifting. So far I'm pretty pleased with it because it's more resilient to me sleeping on my side.

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:06 pm

I tried the quattro, quattro fx,amara but had no luck with them. The mask that seems best for me is the F&P flex fit 432