Quattro higher pressure mask issue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Denial Dave

Quattro higher pressure mask issue

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 am

Hi all

I have a deviated septum & can't use nasal pillows. So I'm using the medium size Quattro FX mask. My bi-pap pressure is fairly high 21 / 15.

If I could resolve this mask leak issue, I would have a much easier transition process.

Every night, I follow the guide for putting it on, cleaning, shaving before bed, etc... Within 10 minutes, I'll get major air leaks across my left eye.

BTW--- There are never any issues around my chin, cheeks or my right eye.

Pad-a cheek has helped reduce the air volume, but not enough to allow me to sleep through the night.

Last night, I really pulled on the straps to tighten the fit and it seemed to work. But I ended up with major strap marks on my face. Over-tightening the mask is counter to the resmed directions for proper fit.

I have an appointment on Friday with my DME to try to discuss my mask issue and options.

Any suggestions??

I don't have an appointment with my sleep doc until December, so I doubt a pressure change is viable option.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

wilsonintexas

Re: Quattro higher pressure mask issue

Post by wilsonintexas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:49 am

Similar problem...... I am on a S9 machine, and try to keep the leaks below 15.... do not shoot for 0.

I have to tighten to the point that there is usualy a little bit of a mask hickey in the morning.... I stop before it becomes such a pressure point that it turns into a sore....

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks

I'm not too worried about the actual leak #'s, my focus is being able to sleep without a turbo fan blowing air across my eye all night.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 am

My pressure is only 14 and I use this: http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html . They are not that expensive and might be worth a try.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am

"Pad-a cheek has helped reduce the air volume, but not enough to allow me to sleep through the night."

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:46 am

Dave,
Have you measured yourself with the ResMed device for the Quattro? You can find it online. I used the medium mask (as provided by the DME) for years until I measured myself, got a small, and it worked better.
Are you sleeping on your side, forcing the mask to one side resulting in a leak around the opposite eye? You might try asymmetrically tightening the straps, or a different pillow.
I have had some luck running my finger along the leaking seal (just below your eye) to reseal it.
Another thing that has helped is a chin strap. I guess it kind of stabilizes the face. For me, it depends on the strap, some work better over the mask, some under.
Lastly, for me, it seems it takes a while for the seal to "seat" to my face. With a new seal, I generally have to overtighten it for a week or so, until it starts to conform to my face, before I can loosen it to the "normal" tension.

Jay

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:00 am

You may also want to consider trying a different FFM.

As much as I loved my Quattro FX at the start (it's not a bad mask), it would always get pushed up easily and leak between the eyes. On the Mirage Quattro, there's a forehead stabilizer bar that keeps that from happening. Plus the straps go around the head differently on the MQ mask vs the QFX which makes it less likely to be pulled upwards.

I still think I'm a marginal fit on the MQ, but it works for me at pressures below 17-ish.

I have to tighten mine down a fair amount, but no pressure sores yet. The forehead adjustment dial does nothing for me on my face, and I have that screwed all the way down too.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:54 am

Hi all

Thanks for the great tips!!

major air leaks on my eye are just about gone.... quick re-adjustments of the mask usually solve the remaining leaks. I still have the straps pulled tighter than recommended, but not nearly as tight as in the beginning

#1 it did take almost 9 days for the silicon to "mold" to my face

#2 turning humidity to 4 or 5 on my H5i added moisture on my face to add to the seal.

#3 not scrubbing the seal everyday with hot water also helped!! I only wipe it down everyday now.

# using a PPAP pillow helped a lot in allowing me to sleep better on my side.

my AHI is running about 5-6 and I was diagnosed with an AHI of 31.... 95% leaks are running less than 25.... which for my mask and pressure are pretty darn good.

Looking at my sleephead data, it is apparent that most of my obstructions are happening within 30 minutes of going to bed.. My ramp time is now at 10 minutes, so I attribute them to still getting accustomed to wearing a mask.

Other obstructions are within 30 minutes of my alarm clock, which are probably awakening issues just before my alarm clock goes off.

I'm using the CPAP machine for 6-7 hours a night during the week (10PM - 4:45AM) and 7-8 hours on weekends.

Dave

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 am

Ask your DME to let you try a Mirage Quattro -- bigger cushion plus a forehead stabilizer and may be just what you need to stop those leaks.

Otherwise you may need to bring out the big guns and try a Hans Rudolph V2 and see if that does the trick.

As the poster above stated, obviously, for ANY mask, you must use the manufacturer's sizing device to get the best fit.

Who knows, perhaps your face is somewhat assymetrical (as I'm sure all faces are), so it may take some trial and error.

Just because you have bad luck with one mask does not mean you are stuck with it forever.

--And one last thing, as the instructions on these masks are fond of repeating "not all leaks must be stopped" or something to that effect. Minor leaks may just have to be dealt with if the alternative is tearing up your face with straps. (Who wants to look old before one's time?) Best idea I could think of is have the DME's respiratory therapist fit you at the high pressure. If he gets the straps set right, and not digging into you, you can leave them set and use the quick clips to maintain the setting each night. The therapist should at least know how tight is too tight from a clinical perspective.

Good luck!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:45 am

Only one full face mask has stopped airflow into my eyes.
Only the Philips Respironics Comfortgel has a thick enough cushion to mold around the contours of my face.
I have worn swim goggles with the full life mask, which I like, but fit is inadequate for me.

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:00 pm

You're speaking of this one, chunkyfrog?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-com ... -mask.html

I'm debating whether I want to order a new cushion for my MQ in another week or two, or try out a new mask.

Denial Dave

Re: Quattro higher pressure mask issue - Leaks are gone

Post by Denial Dave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 am

WOW

spoke to Karen at Pad-A-Cheek and inquired about a 2011 posting here about special ordered cheek cushions for the FX.

they are like the nose cushion tab at the top of the standard pad-a-cheek liners

I got 2 of them, installed one on the left side of my liner near the bridge of my nose and my problems with leaks are gone!!

Straps are loosened, no strap marks on my face

Life is good!!

or as good as it can get when needing a mask in order to sleep

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Dave,
I'm curious if you are using the Pad-a-cheek liner for the the bridge of your nose with the Mirage Quattro in your signature or with the FX? I've use the MQ and have had issues with leaking around the eye and rub spot on the nose.\
Thanks,
Lakejumper

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Dave,
Sorry for the double post. I meant to log in before posting so that my signature would show.

I'm curious if you are using the Pad-a-cheek liner for the the bridge of your nose with the Mirage Quattro in your signature or with the FX? I've use the MQ and have had issues with leaking around the eye and rub spot on the nose.\
Thanks,
Lakejumper

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi

I started with the Quattro FX, but a combination of my higher pressures and my active tossing during the night did not work... The pad a cheek liners really helped me, but my leak levels were still well about 30L/min every night.

As of this past Monday, I am using the Quattro FFM and my leaks are well below 20 now and I sleep through the night without fighting leaks across my eye or face farts etc........YEAH !!!!

The downside is that I am now dealing with the ever popular redness on the bridge of my nose.

Dave