I Hate My CPAP!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ValShotz

I Hate My CPAP!

Post by ValShotz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi, all -

I'm new to this forum after finding it through a bunch of searches I've done about my new CPAP machine. I was hoping that someone could assure me that this will all get better, as I've had some problems and annoyances with my new machine. I know that sounds silly, but I'm really struggling here!

I got my machine (ResMed S9 AutoSet and H5i humidifier) and mask (ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM) about five weeks ago. I actually started out with a ResMed Ultra Mirage FFM, but after about 2 1/2 weeks, I went back and swapped it because I found that I was getting a bunch of leaks around my mouth and chin when I would fall asleep and my mouth and jaw would go slack. The mask just wasn't wide enough for my mouth. So I got the Mirage Quattro and it's a better fit for my face, but all in all, I'm still having a rough time getting used to the whole thing. I went back to my sleep doctor last Tuesday, and after he scanned and read the data on my SD card, he told me that I was actually doing quite well with it, but all of the issues are just due to the adjustment period, which, he initially told me, as did my friend with a nose-only mask, should really only be a week or two. I'm now going on my sixth week and I still haven't found peace with it.

The biggest issue for me is that the mask is just not comfortable when I'm sleeping. I am a stomach sleeper, and since I've gotten my machine, I've been trying to retrain myself to sleep on my side or back, but I am waking up stiff every morning because I just can't find a position that's comfortable for me. I keep finding that my mask slides all over my face during the night and I have to wake up several times to readjust it. I have set my pillows up so that one is in the normal position on the bottom, and the one on top goes cross-wise (lengthwise) so that my mask and tube have a place to sort of dangle off of the pillow. This is effective for the first hour or so that I'm asleep, but then when I roll over, the mask goes with me and it moves around so it leaks and wakes me up and I have to sort of lean into my hand to get it to stay in place. I finally got it set so that it didn't move very much, but then I had to clean my headgear and when I undid the velcro that I had worked so hard to get just right, I couldn't get it back to where I liked it. I know that ideally you're not supposed to pull your headgear too tight, but in order for me to keep the mask from sliding around and leaking, I've had to strap it on pretty good. I don't mind waking up with the marks on my face since I don't have anywhere to be in the morning, and it's not painful, but I know that, technically, I shouldn't have to have it strapped on so tight in order to get it to seal up. I just get too many leaks and the mask moves too much if I don't put it on pretty tightly. I will admit here that I do use moisturizer, and I know that's a no-no, but I refuse to stop using it because of my mask. I have drastically changed my face washing schedule, though, so I'm applying my oil-free moisturizer four or five hours before bedtime, rather than the hour or two I had done previously.

The mask leaks and constant adjustments are making things really irritating for me. Before I was diagnosed with OSA, I rarely woke up at night, and now I'm finding that I'm waking up several times each night because of the noise or the uncomfortability. I wear earplugs because I live in an apartment with noisy neighbors, and even through them, I'm still able to hear leaks as they happen, and so is my husband, who also wears earplugs. He is woken up almost as many times as I am from the noise, and since I don't work and he does, it's important that he get a good night's sleep. I'm tired every morning when I wake up because I'm tossing and turning all night, and I am not feeling refreshed like I know I'm supposed to be with the CPAP. I'm sleepy and draggy all day, and I really don't feel like this is helping me very much at all.

I'm struggling with dry mouth a lot when I wake up. My humidifier is set to 5.5, and the maximum is 6, but the two times I've set the humidifier to 6, I've had rainout and the mask slid around that much more. I have heard that Biotene products will solve this problem, and I haven't tried that yet, but I'm not sure if it's worth it because I did not have a dry mouth when I woke up after the two times my humidifier was set at 6 -- it's just that I woke up with a moist face and mask as well.

So, friends, please tell me, will I ever get used to this? I'm really tired of waking up tired, irritated and angry every morning for one reason or another. Is it really just a matter of me adjusting to this new way of sleeping? How did you guys get adjusted to sleeping in new positions, and to the aches and pains that go along with it? Should I consider a nose-only mask instead of the full face one? I think I prefer the full face mask versus the nose-only type because I do breathe through my mouth, and when I did the sleep study, I woke up coughing when my mouth would fall open with the nose-only mask. My doctor did say that my numbers looked great and that the machine was working out well for me, but when I asked him about all of the things I've mentioned here, he told me that for some people, it just takes more time to get used to it. If I had it my way, I'd throw the machine out the window and go Office Space fax machine on it. I'm not willing to give up so soon, though. I know that if I can get used to this, it'll be so beneficial to my health, it's just that after almost a month and a half, I'm still struggling, and I was doing better with my sleep patterns before I got my CPAP.

I apologize for the length of this. I'm sorry to have gone on and on. I don't know many people who have gone through this, and I know someone out there has probably gone through the same things I'm dealing with. Thanks in advance for reading, and for any advice you have to offer. I really appreciate it.

- Valerie

brucifer

Re: I Hate My CPAP!

Post by brucifer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Valerie, welcome to the forum. Since you're a stomach sleeper, maybe a lighter mask would work better for you. I'm a side sleeper and use a very lightweight nasal-pillow mask (OPUS 360). It works great for me. Maybe one of the nasal-pillows masks would be a better option for you. Getting a good mask fit has a lot to do with folks successfully using CPAP, so I hope you find a mask that fits you just right.

As far as rainout goes, I have the same APAP machine that you do, and I live in the humid Atlanta area, so our weather is relatively similar. I set my humidifier on 80ºF each evening, and that works perfectly for me. I experience no rainout and no dry throat. You'll probably have to experiment a bit to get everything just right, so please don't give up. Things will get better if you keep working at it. In the long run, your therapy and health are worth the effort. Please continue to ask questions if you need help. Good luck!

sleepyb

Post by sleepyb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Valerie,
You are at the tough part of it where you try different masks until you find one that works. Don't get discouraged. Some people find the right mask right away, others go through several or many masks until they find one that fits correctly. You really should try one of the nasal-pillow masks. Resmed makes some good ones (Swift FX or the older design Swift LT) There's the Opus mask that I didn't have good luck with but many people really like. It really depends on your face and how these different masks feel. You might consider a chin strap which makes it a little harder for your mouth to open while you are sleeping. After a few months I learned to keep my mouth shut and didn't need the chin strap, but there are a bunch of informative posts on this site on options for this.
For Rainout, You can use a hose cover or lower the humidity, especially since you are in a warmer climate. Once you start keeping your mouth shut overnight you probably won't need as much humidity.
Keep working at it because once you get it right it's wonderful to wake up and actually be awake! Definitely worth it.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:20 am

What I did - it's radical, but works for me -

I have a relatively inexpensive but good memory foam bed and, using an electric carving knife, cut a 3" wide (you can play with width and rounded top edges once you have the basic cut) x 3-4" deep trench starting at the top of the mattress and extending towards the foot by 10-12"... When I sleep, the mask sits in the trench diagonally and because I use one of the few masks that vent NOT directly from the right angle point of the mask:hose connection, but higher up in the mask, the vent is not blocked by the foam or bedding.

If you want to pm me for more details, that would be fine... I've used the UM FF for years (as you can see) but if anything have found the bottom half too wide for me and I agree that it's leaky if sleeping in other positions...

Have you tried a Pap pillow (for side sleeping)?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:24 am

Regarding the Quattro leaks...go to padacheek.com and check out the Quattro anti-leak strap and /or the mask liner. There are also CPAP pillows that do what you are attempting to do with your pillows. Don't give up.

apsews

Post by apsews » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:55 am

I also am a stomach sleeper(well I like to start out that way)and I had the Quattro mask and was having a hard time adjusting to not being able to turn on my belly. I went Wednesday and got another mask because I was having leaks and just not comfortable with the fit. I got the Mirage FX which is a nose only mask(I tried the pillows but my nostrils were the wrong shape)and BAM!!! I can sleep on my stomach again and I am much happier with the mask all the way around. Good Luck!!!
Alison

If you are ever caught sleeping at work just slowly raise your head and say "In Jesus name I pray,Amen"

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:10 am

I use the same mack, but a different machine. As my wife tells me I am a all over the bed sleeper so I use:
a cpap pillow (bought from bed bath and beyond online and used a coupon i got in the mail)
a Homemade hose manager like https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pursle ... ystem.html
a padacheek mask liner

With this everything moves with me. I am almost at the 1 year mark, and the adjustment takes time so hang in there!

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:44 am

ValShotz wrote:and after he scanned and read the data on my SD card, he told me that I was actually doing quite well with it, but all of the issues are just due to the adjustment period, which, he initially told me, as did my friend with a nose-only mask, should really only be a week or two.
Sigh. Both these people, with the best of intentions, created an expectation in you that is not causing problems. They probably didn't want to discourage you by telling you that it could take a while.

My observation from reading a lot of these threads, plus my own experience, is that it really takes many people a while to adjust. For some people, it's the discomfort from the air. For others, like you, it's mask issues. The issue that took me the longest to resolve, after finding a mask that didn't create open sores on my face, was horrendous stiff necks. I think I was tensing up because I was so afraid of knocking the mask out of place. It took me a while to relax.

It really does take time to get used to changes in sleeping position, etc., etc. The good news is that it will get better. The improvement isn't always noticeable day-to-day, but you might see it week-to-week in retrospect. Have you gotten the software yet to read your own data? I found it encouraging to see my numbers improving over time and not just rely on atta-girls from my doctor.
ValShotz wrote: Before I was diagnosed with OSA, I rarely woke up at night <snip>
Oh, you were, by definition, waking up, you just weren't aware of it. When I got my sleep study back I had an objectively horrendous two hours of sleep before they masked me up but I reported to them that I slept fine, as usual.

Last edited by Drowsy Dancer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

sleeptimeinNY

Post by sleeptimeinNY » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:45 am

You came to the right site here to vent!! You will get lots of suggestions and lots of encouragement.

I also was a stomach sleeper, but have just readjusted my sleeping to a side sleeper. In the beginning, I never slept on my stomach, but now some nights I just smash my head in the pillow and don't care about the leaks!
Actually, the leaks don't wake me up at all. I have just decided to sort of live with them. According to Sleepyhead, they are way under the 24 limit, so I feel okay with them, as long as my AHI's stay down.

The best thing I did was get a padacheek liner. They are soft and very easy to clean and dry very quickly. Next I might look into the padacheek anti-leak strap.

I am a mouth breather and feel I need the full face mask. When I did the sleep study and they put a nasal mask on me, I couldn't even breathe and choked and took it off. Of course, they failed to even give me the slightest instruction, like keep your mouth closed!!

You just have to hang in there. Believe it or not, it will get better. I am six months in and have come a LONG way from those first few months.

Good luck!
Ruth

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:55 am

The best way to change that Hate to Love (well... at least Like) is to not have any expectations of when you will sleep/feel better.

For some it's instaneous (I HATE YOU ALL - j/k of course), for others it's days, weeks, months or even years - depends on how long you've been sleep deprived amongst a lot of other things.

I've been at this almost 2 years - haven't slept a night without my CPAP, except for the first few nights when I lasted only a few hours before ripping the mask off.

I still don't love my CPAP, but we're coming to a reasonably comfortable living arrangement.

Take it one night at a time, experiment a LOT with making your mask as comfortable as possible for YOU - read a lot here about how to modify, add stuff etc., what masks work best for people who side/stomach sleep. Some go through many masks before they find one that works.

Whilst your machine is important for the features it provides for your own control, your mask is what you have to be comfortable sleeping in.

Hang in there - it really does get easier.

Cheers,
xena

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:16 am

As a tummy sleeper, you might want to try a Sleepweaver élan or Advance.
These fabric masks offer the best comfort for stomach sleepers and pillow snugglers.
They are a little fussier learning how to make them fit with acceptable leak rates,
but once I had it figured out, hard plastic feels so WRONG.
after 20 masks, I found this one; and love it.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sleepw ... -mask.html
and the Advance, etc. Who knew it could be any better? After one night, I'm SOLD! (and mine is PINK!)
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sleepw ... -cpap.html
Note: Valerie, you don't have to give up moisturizer, but avoid petrolatum or mineral oil (I love Lansinoh, even tho it's stiff)

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:33 am

I have been a stomach sleeper for ....ever, basically. Sleeping on my back would make me snore and probably also would give me apnea. I had to sleep on my stomach, or side, with my neck tilted far back and mouth wide open. Not pretty. But it was either that or not sleep well. HOWEVER, now that I just started using my APAP machine, that's changing. I force myself to sleep on my back and it seems to work. The machine inflates me like a tire, and no more snoring.... It's truly amazing how this all works. Plus sleeping on your back is supposedly better for your spine.

I'd recommend you at least try sleeping on your back, or at least try on your side. Hug some pillows if you need extra stability while sleeping on your side. But face down on your stomach is going to likely knock off the mask while you're sleeping. It's hard to get around that unless you try the special pillows (and don't ever move).

Try hard to do the back sleep thing. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Or, maybe you also need a new mattress. That could definitely also be part of the problem, don't forget. It's not all about apnea.

oregondiver

Post by oregondiver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:01 am

Val,
I have nothing important to contribute to your frustration...but I do have a 20% off bed bath and beyond coupon that came in the last few days (I don't THINK I threw it out yet) and you are welcome to the code (or can US mail it) if you would like to get one of the items someone mentioned there.

btw, I LOVED the post about cutting the mattress. I am sure I would do the same thing if I was a stomach sleeper. haha!

Good luck!

cherylgrrl

Post by cherylgrrl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:23 am

I'm 3 months into the wonderful world of xPAP, and am still trying masks. At this point I've got three that work mostly OK for me, and I'm trading off. I would heartily endorse chunkyfrog's suggestion of the SleepWeaver masks -- especially since you can try them for 30 days with a money-back guarantee from the manufacturer. They are soft cloth, so you can lie on them almost anyway you want and they just "smoosh" to accommodate the position of your face on the pillow. My other favorites are the Bella Loops (just 2 nights with it, but so far it's the best nasal pillow mask I've tried) and the Quattro FX for Her full face mask.

I also wake up several times a night needing to adjust the mask, but now I'm mostly going right back to sleep. It is true that with sleep apnea, you are waking up far more often! During my first month or so, I took Ambien every night and that helped tremendously. If you haven't tried a sleep aid, you might want to discuss that with your doctor. Mine recommended it highly and gave me a 3-month prescription. Unless you have a humongo mask leak, it's better to sleep through!

Good luck, stick with it -- it's worth it!

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:54 am

Do not try hard to sleep on your back - even with Cpap - it's the position so many jump through hoops to avoid because it provokes more apneas than anything.