Can CPAP cause pain in lungs?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janos

Can CPAP cause pain in lungs?

Post by Janos » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:08 am

I've been using an APAP machine for about 6 months and have tolerated it quite well until now. But about a week ago I started waking up with a pain in the lower right side of the chest. The pain goes away when I take off the mask. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

BlackSpinner

Re: Can CPAP cause pain in lungs?

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:22 am

Janos wrote:I've been using an APAP machine for about 6 months and have tolerated it quite well until now. But about a week ago I started waking up with a pain in the lower right side of the chest. The pain goes away when I take off the mask. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
First - see a doctor. Never brush off new chest pains.

After 6 months your body is well adjusted to cpap if you have been using it every night all night.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:52 am

Agree with BS...The air goes into the lungs equally ...if your right side hurts, see your doctor.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 am

i went to the er recently with breathing problems with a little associated pain. turns out it was the early stage of pneumonia and i spent 3 days as a patient. i really didn't feel like i had pneumonia. get it checked before it progresses. some of these things kill.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 am

Agreed.
Pneumonia can be deadly if not caught early.
Anything else is probably not self-treatable.
Do not delay.

-tim

Post by -tim » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:36 am

See a doctor as it could be a problem. You may need your pressure dropped for a bit.

There is also a chance that your breathing deeper at night and its using muscles that you haven't used in years.

I had some discomfort but it was a week or so after I started cpap. It went away but it was uniform on the lower chest area.

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:28 pm

you could have a fungus growing in your lung. start with an xray and go from there. I live in the south and it's not as uncommon as you would think, especially if you're on a wet hose all night.

clean your equipment, folks, and that includes the hose (which should be changed out every 3 months, by the way)

jjlady

Post by jjlady » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:54 pm

I have been on the hose about 1 month. I have been getting pressure/tightness in my chest but the wierd thing is I only get this when I AM NOT TIRED. I never get this when I am tired. So I am wondering if this is a breathing thing. I would assume when tired I breath less or not as deep. But I must say I have this issue before and have had many heart related tests and everything was fine. So I am not worried about heart issues.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:08 pm

It could mean that your best experience of Cpap - good for your OSA - is making your chest sore as it's unused to all that action , so what you say makes some kind of sense, but I'd still get looked at by a pro. You mentioned the lower right, so I thought you could even be working on gallstones!

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Janos wrote:I've been using an APAP machine for about 6 months and have tolerated it quite well until now. But about a week ago I started waking up with a pain in the lower right side of the chest. The pain goes away when I take off the mask. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Reply,

Janus, I think that I had some pain in my right lung during my sleep las night. It happened when I inhaled. Sort of a stabbing feel. So I am going to lower the max pressure on my APAP from 13 to 12 cm to see if it would take the pain away. I don't mind seeing more OAIs being flagged b/c of this lower pressure . I could let the OAIs creep up even up to 5 per hour.

The following 6 months Stats shows that I could eseily lower the top set Max pressure of 13 even by 3 cm and see if the stab like pains in my lungs subsides and what would I pay in return by having more CAI flags left untreated, if any.

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:31 am

OK, I lowered the max pressure to 12 cm, I had no lungs pain, and the ResScan results are much better. Not a single event is shown left from the whole night except a cluster of 4 CAs in the morning during wake up.

So if you have no viral or bacterial pneomonia in your lungs it could be the air pressure, or the mask blocking the inhale, that causes the pain.

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

Avi...that worked for you since you kinda know what you are doing......but this op is relatively new to all of this and he/she needs to go to a doctor to rule out any adverse things...like a heart problem. I ignored chest pain a few years back..and guesse what...I ended up with a heart attack. Chest pain is NOTHING to fool around or experiment with, it can be dangerous.
Janos...go and get checked out by a doctor before you start experimenting with your machine. If medical problems are ruled out..then one of the veterans here can help you out with pressures and other ideas.
Good luck to you.
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:45 pm

I think you shouldn't worry too much about it and just try to use the cpap every night
18/14 bipap st