CPAP machine is making me sick and causing me lung problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CMM

Re: CPAP machine is making me sick and causing me lung problems

Post by CMM » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 pm

I am on flonase 4 sprays a day, which makes me wonder if its not what is causing this whole problem what do you all think?

Flonase should help reduce the inflammation. If you're using all 4 sprays at once, it might just be running down your throat after you use it. I've actually heard of people hanging their head off the edge of the bed (slighty) for a few minutes to keep that post-nasal draining from happening. It seems to work. Keeps the medicine where it's suppose to be.
Also, have you considered using a neti pot? It takes a little to adjust to it, but it is a tremendous help when used regularly. If you have allergies, it pushes most of the irritants out of your sinuses so that you don't get a build up of that clear mucus. I have a nasty allergic asthma, and it will flare up if I don't rinse with the neti pot regularly.
Another consideration is the type of mask you have. Nasal pillows might be more irritating to you sinuses than a full mask. Do you wash your mask daily? I know the DME told me I didn't need to ever wash my tubing and the mask could be wiped off with baby wipes. However, I checked out a few different resources that recommended cleaning with mild dish soap or even soaking in a 1:3 dilution of distilled white vinegar. I wash everything almost daily except the headgear. Especially if I've had a cold.
Hang in there! Hope that helps

Whitebirdphoto1@gmail.com

Post by Whitebirdphoto1@gmail.com » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I struggled with my COAP and a BiPAP. Same troubles. My first clue would be to tell you to use nasal salt spray before using your device. Steroids will lower your resistance in the long run ( that includes Flonase ), avoid them as much as possible.
I live in a high mountain desert, too. It's dry. The salt spray is a great help; as is a good nasal moisturizing agent ( ask the pharmacist ) ( it's not a Rx ). Stay hydrated with lots of drinking water. Keep your humidifier at 3 or 4... No higher. You live in a dry climate, you body isn't used to humid air. Good luck !

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Mon May 18, 2015 11:05 pm

I don't have the inclination nor the time to read through 125 or more posts.

But I'd like to comment that there's a strong possibility OP is over-dosing on Flonase spray 8x a day, and that, at least according to a
YT video by a board-certified allergist who conducted studies on neti-pots- advised use neti only for acute sinus problems and for short period of time.
In the study it was noted that a 'rebound effect' occurs with frequent use, e.g., it messes up the natural protective lining and layerings of the nasal passages, rendering a person with even less protection and will indeed have more frequent and continuous sinus problems than in the control group.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue May 19, 2015 3:20 am

You're getting that mixed up with Afrin - that's the one that causes rebound problems where more and more is needed to do less and less... you really ought to do more research.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue May 19, 2015 3:52 am

Julie wrote:You're getting that mixed up with Afrin - that's the one that causes rebound problems where more and more is needed to do less and less... you really ought to do more research.
The long term study that Tedburns was referring to said nothing about a rebound effect as far as I can tell:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/712146#vp_1

However, Dr. Steven Park, has referred to nasal saline has having a mild rebound effect although obviously not anywhere near the same magnitude as afrin.
These results are a bit conflicting with what many of my patients report, but there may be some good reasons to follow their recommendations. Besides the reasons mentioned above, saline acts as a mild decongestant, which is similar to the over-the-counter decongestant, Afrin, but not as strong. This is why you can breathe better after irrigation. One of the reasons why you can’t use Afrin for more than 3 days is because of the rebound effect, where after the medicine wears off, your nose gets stuffy again, making you use it more and more frequently. Nasal saline, although not as bad as Afrin, also has a mild rebound effect. This is why some people use it 2 to 4 times every day.
When I have tried nasal irrigation which has been several times which includes pre and post septoplasty, I noticed I feel great initially for about 30 minutes and then everything reverts back to form no matter what I use. Not that this proves anything but makes me realize that your mileage will always vary even if with something that is allegedly benign like nasal rinsing.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:20 am

Julie wrote:You're getting that mixed up with Afrin - that's the one that causes rebound problems where more and more is needed to do less and less... you really ought to do more research.
Stop jumping to conclusions. Read my post, and it had nothing to do with Afrin and everything to do with neti-pots.

I am trying to find the video where a doctor with an accent was interviewed outside a symposium about the study that he performed. I stated his findings correctly.

I did find a reference to the study conducted by Dr. Nzouli:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/200 ... y-backfire

I have seen his video but I can't find it- perhaps it was removed. But I am quite certain he was the one interviewed in that YT video at the very symposium referenced in the WebMD article.

Jule, please refrain from your rude, nasty comments. They are without foundation and unbecoming of a poster on this forum.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 am

tedburnsIII wrote:
Jule, please refrain from your rude, nasty comments. They are without foundation and unbecoming of a poster on this forum.
the only rude nasty person here, is you, mr "I can't be bothered to read this thread, but I want to throw up my opinion".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 am

He's got an over-the-top case of narcissism and some other stuff that's even worse - yesterday he referred to some members as 'your kind', which to me is somewhere between eugenic and racist whatever the color of the members might be. Uggghh!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:44 am

Julie wrote:He's got an over-the-top case of narcissism and some other stuff that's even worse - yesterday he referred to some members as 'your kind', which to me is somewhere between eugenic and racist whatever the color of the members might be. Uggghh!
just so long as he's not oppressing our froggie... after all, it's not easy being green!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tperez1980

Post by Tperez1980 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Has anyone else experience vertigo while using CPAP? My husband just started using CPAP about 3 months ago.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:25 pm

Tperez1980 wrote:Has anyone else experience vertigo while using CPAP? My husband just started using CPAP about 3 months ago.
It can happen. Most likely it points to inner ear issues/problems or even as simple as ear wax buildup.
Probably not serious, but I'd recommend him discussing it with his physician.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

normhill48

Post by normhill48 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

theoregonlife wrote:I have had this machine (resmed s9 auto) for less then 23 days in that time frame i have had 2 upper respiratory infections near constant congestion and chest pain that is always worse after a long nights use of the machine. I have tried flonase to deal with the congestion as well as a neti pot nothing is helping, and it has done nothing to rid my persistent tightness and and pain. Before this machine i have NEVER had brocitus or any lung issues, I am currently at my wits end with this machine and am ready to take my chances without it. Have any of you been in or seen anything similar to this? Also does anyone have any advice as i am getting a bit desperate. Thanks
Be sure to use boiled or sterile water in humidifier. I use a generic nasal spray to open up nose before using cpap. Still yet I am having same problems you are. Thought about surgery on whatever flopper that is in the mouth, but first trying to shed some pounds hope to get rid of cpap altogether. Like you I think the cpap is at least part of the problem. I'll send up a prayer for you and me to get rid of this stuff

Moz52

Post by Moz52 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:47 pm

I have been using my CPAP machine for 4 years and my health is steadily declining which I attribute to the machine. Head aches congestion and tiredness. Breathing in plastic fumes containing all the nasties cant be good for anyone. Stopped using the humidifier which helped initially but now back to square one. About to look at Coblation Tongue Channeling

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:52 pm

Moz52 wrote:I have been using my CPAP machine for 4 years and my health is steadily declining which I attribute to the machine. Head aches congestion and tiredness. Breathing in plastic fumes containing all the nasties cant be good for anyone. Stopped using the humidifier which helped initially but now back to square one. About to look at Coblation Tongue Channeling

I recommend you start a new topic as this one is really old. People will start answering the questions of the person from years ago rather than your questions.

In your new topic, tell us what machine you have, what settings you are using, and if you know about any results. For example, have you been seeing results on screen or using software. A lot of doctors check compliance but never really make sure the machine is successful in prevent apnea events. So, you may be steadily getting worse due to lack of successful treatment.

Headaches can be caused by sleep apnea. Not usually by the machine, unless the mask is too tight or pinching a nerve.

Congestion may be caused by the mask fit (some people have trouble with masks that touch the top part of the nose). It could also be the humidifier settings. Some people need a lot, some people need only a little or none..

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Jack2656

Post by Jack2656 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:39 am

What type of mask are you using I was using the nasal mask that sits in your nostrils and I got alot of allergy like symptoms switched to full face mask and it all when away