CPAP machine is making me sick and causing me lung problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ems

Re: CPAP machine is making me sick and causing me lung problems

Post by ems » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Todzo wrote: The subject here seemed to move from helping theoregonlife to talking about supposed character flaws in the “OP”. Not at all useful to theoregonlife or anyone else really, and very hard on theoregonlife without cause.

Have a great weekend!

Todzo
Very hard on theoregonlife!

Hope you're having a nice weekend as well.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

theoregonlife

Post by theoregonlife » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Julie wrote:You know, all you posted the first time you wrote was...

"I have had this machine (resmed s9 auto) for less then 23 days in that time frame i have had 2 upper respiratory infections near constant congestion and chest pain that is always worse after a long nights use of the machine. I have tried flonase to deal with the congestion as well as a neti pot nothing is helping, and it has done nothing to rid my persistent tightness and and pain. Before this machine i have NEVER had brocitus or any lung issues, I am currently at my wits end with this machine and am ready to take my chances without it. Have any of you been in or seen anything similar to this? Also does anyone have any advice as i am getting a bit desperate. Thanks"

Not a word about all the doctors, what they said, the 4 ambulance trips, blah blah blah.... yet you just blew your stack at a long time member (actually more than one) of this forum as if she or any of us was supposed to have your history magically engraved on their brain... we tried to offer help, but in fact, you didn't return for quite a while and when that happens, people tend to get kind of cynical and a little punchy with their ideas, but that's not a reason for you to have gone berserk.

Sorry for your problems, most of us have had some along the way at some point, but we're not doctors, you don't respect our knowledge of, or belief in Cpap, so why would you think we could help in any case?

i didnt mean 4 ambulance trips.. and i dont care who she is or how long shes been so there you have it i meant what i said to dont like it don't care have a nice day

theoregonlife

Post by theoregonlife » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Last edited by theoregonlife on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoregonlife

Post by theoregonlife » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 pm

This is the end, first and foremost you people are not dr's and i do get that. but you are also so one sided that its well stupid your solution to everything is CPAP CPAP CPAP! when other views are stated they are shut down and the rest of you spout off.. Yea i blew my lid at a few of you don't like it ask me if i bloody care, if you all were not such insulate buffoons with everything i said maybe i wouldn't have. I get my oral appliance in next week in the mean time i am out of here never to post again.. Good luck and good bye..

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:47 pm

AND, We thank you too! Jim

We need to change the site name, I think the (CPAP)talk is giving us away.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:59 pm

I want to thank SWS for the link that made me take another look at the things I said to be sure I wasn't being dismissive of the OP's claims. Certainly didn't think I'd been an "insulate buffoon". Sure hope that dental device works for you. However, if you should at some point have to revisit CPAP and need to revisit here, please know that you can and I'm guessing even after your insults, most if not all would still try to help you. Good luck.

theoregonlife

Post by theoregonlife » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:59 am

One more thing.. First and foremost i realize I my self have made an ass of my self by insulting users of this site and alowing things to get to me that shouldn't have. My frustration is with the problems that have resulted with the device and not with this site or it's users. I ended up getting pneumonia from what the ER dr suspected as the machine, and yes I did garner my very first ambulance ride when I had trouble breathing, shortness of breath and chest pain. I thought I was having a heart attack, who wouldn't call 911. As far as what the dr said is that the drianage coupled with steroids (class one) I take for sevure skin problems makes my immune system vulnerable. The persistent drainage was constantly going into my lungs and causing infections, and due to other problems I would rather not disclose it has made this machine not medically fesable for me. I do have sevure OSA and my dr is disappointed that cpap has failed, but with embrel on top of external foam clobetasol proportionate it's not possible. Again, to those that I offended or said foul things to it was out of order and I am sorry, I should have used better judgement as all you were trying to do was help. The only insulate Baffon here is me and for that I am sorry. I really do appreciate your attempts to help even when I was being out of order. Here is to hoping I am able to find some sort of relief.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 am

Theoregonlife,

My heart breaks for what you have been through.

Did you see my previous posts about dental devices and how the sleep medicine dentist who posts on http://www.apneasupport.org/sleep-apnea ... n-f20.html feels that the TAP3 is the most effective dental appliance for severe sleep apnea?

Also, did you see the suggestion about trying provent?

Good luck to you.

theoregonlife wrote:One more thing.. First and foremost i realize I my self have made an ass of my self by insulting users of this site and alowing things to get to me that shouldn't have. My frustration is with the problems that have resulted with the device and not with this site or it's users. I ended up getting pneumonia from what the ER dr suspected as the machine, and yes I did garner my very first ambulance ride when I had trouble breathing, shortness of breath and chest pain. I thought I was having a heart attack, who wouldn't call 911. As far as what the dr said is that the drianage coupled with steroids (class one) I take for sevure skin problems makes my immune system vulnerable. The persistent drainage was constantly going into my lungs and causing infections, and due to other problems I would rather not disclose it has made this machine not medically fesable for me. I do have sevure OSA and my dr is disappointed that cpap has failed, but with embrel on top of external foam clobetasol proportionate it's not possible. Again, to those that I offended or said foul things to it was out of order and I am sorry, I should have used better judgement as all you were trying to do was help. The only insulate Baffon here is me and for that I am sorry. I really do appreciate your attempts to help even when I was being out of order. Here is to hoping I am able to find some sort of relief.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:17 am

I am really confused about this topic.

Wasn't it determined that the simple act of putting on the mask was causing the problem? Didn't somebody ask her to put pressure on the bridge of her nose to see if she got congested, and she did? So, a mask that doesn't touch the bridge of the nose (such as nasal pillows, or a hybrid mask), would be a possible solution?

It seemed like it was a good possibility and an easy thing to try. But I haven't seen it mentioned again.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:14 am

Not a word about all the doctors, what they said, the 4 ambulance trips, blah blah blah.... yet you just blew your stack at a long time member (actually more than one) of this forum as if she or any of us was supposed to have your history magically engraved on their brain... we tried to offer help, but in fact, you didn't return for quite a while and when that happens, people tend to get kind of cynical and a little punchy with their ideas, but that's not a reason for you to have gone berserk.
With all due respect, after OP asked for advice, he/she did write a later post stating that cpap was not going to be the treatment of choice. Instead of asking this person for more details, the thread turned into general attack of the person's character and assumed the worst about him/her.

Therefore, I disagree that there was no reason for this person to go berserk. If I felt my character had been attacked, I would have done the same thing.

Anyway, the OP apologized for his/her remarks. I think many of you on this thread owe the OP an apology in return for some of the outrageous remarks that I feel were made.

49er

pats

Post by pats » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:18 am

Goofproof wrote:AND, We thank you too! Jim

We need to change the site name, I think the (CPAP)talk is giving us away.
CPAPtalk could be read as meanint a site for talking about CPAP, including discussing whether it is appropriate for a particular person, alternatives when it is not appropriate, its drawbacks, and side effects.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 am

Janknitz wrote:She is beginning to sound more like our old friend "Sick with Apnea".
Jan..you beat me to the punch...that is exactly what I was just going to say. Even the wording has become the same
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:09 am

nanwilson wrote:
Janknitz wrote:She is beginning to sound more like our old friend "Sick with Apnea".
Jan..you beat me to the punch...that is exactly what I was just going to say. Even the wording has become the same
Cheers
Nan
Nope... anyone want to bet it's not SWA?
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:13 am

ems wrote:
nanwilson wrote:
Cheers
Nan
There are definite similarities, but I'm not ready to make a bet either way yet.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 am

ems wrote:
Me. SWA was willing to try just about anything including squirting peroxide up their nose. This one doesn't want to try anything, they came to get their experience and choice validated and got upset when we suggested things to try.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal