Best mask for side sleeping?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maxie

Re: Best mask for side sleeping?

Post by Maxie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm

I am a side sleeper and I find that nasal pillows work well. I've used Opus 360 and now Swift FX. One thing that I think helps with your hose is to use a hose clip to keep your hose from getting pulled away. I stretch my head back and clip my hose to my nightgown so the weight of the hose or tumbling around in bed will keep it in the correct alignment and not pull unduly on my pillows as I move. You can get hose clips from our host or online.

2kittymom

Post by 2kittymom » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm nearing my first full month of CPAP. I'm a side sleeper. I was given a Mirage FX - for "her." I wore it for 16 nights, and had many nights with many leaks. I called the DME and went in to exchange it. They talked me into the Respironics True-Blue. It was really heavy, in comparison, and it left a huge red mark on my nose bridge. It also seemed too long, and took over my upper lip. I then found some other masks online that I was interested in. One was a "Zest." From what I read, it was to be my "perfect" mask! It has this cable at the bottom that is supposed to take the rollovers so as not to move the mask itself. (Therefore, wasn't supposed to leak). Also it sounded like it was great for small noses. Well, one night on the Zest and I realized that small nose probably didn't mean narrow nose! I had another huge red mark on the bridge, and the cable didn't seem to work. Called them again, and went in again. The tech was really upset with me because this was the 3rd time in a week I'd been in. She said the insurance company yells at them when patients trade too often. I told her that I didn't like coming in there any more than she did, and that I had to find a mask that worked so that I could SLEEP. I told her that they never measured me for a size, and she said they don't do that! (They should). She is NOT a CPAP user, and she indicated that all the masks leak. She then asked me if I wanted to take some "try on" masks home and try them. I said, of course. Should have done that to start with. I brought home 2 Mirage Activa LT's, one medium, one small, a Mirage Micro, size small, another True-Blue in a smaller size, and a Phillips small Comfort Gel Blue. I tried all of them on and layed down with them on an afternoon. The True Blue small immediately put a mark on my nose. The Micro was too small. The Activa LT medium was too large and also was defective. I found the fewest leaks with the Mirage Activa LT, in small, however, it has an outer edge that came down just about into my mouth! In doing more research online, I found out that the Mirage Comfort Gel can be used on the Activa LT. I also wanted to try the Micro in the medium size. So, I took 4 of them back and kept the Activa LT at home, and brought home a Mirage Comfort Gel, in small, and a Micro in medium. I am now alternating between the 3 masks, and checking my data daily on Sleepyhead, and will make my final decision on Thursday, when I meet with the crabby tech again, and bring home my final choice.
One thing I want to point out about the 3 masks that I am deciding between - they all have a dial on the headgear to adjust the masks. I found that opening up this adjustment to it's loosest position, lessens the marks on my nose. None of the other masks had this feature. You can download a template online that has cut-outs so you can measure your nose in it to see what size may work best. Also, I almost ruled out the Micro, until I found instructions online for fitting it to my face.
Another thing I want to mention, since you are a newbie, like me, is that I tried on some nasal pillow masks, and I could NOT tolerate them. The pressure was too much. The tech said that it was because I'm new to CPAP. I realize that there are some people on this forum who were able to go right to the nasal pillows, but I don't think that it's necessarily an easy feat, especially if your pressure is higher.
I even bought 2 CPAP pillows, thinking this would eliminate leaks. Both were much more firm that I was used to, so it wasn't easy to go to sleep or stay asleep. Now I'm back to my squishy Sleep Number Pillow, and so far I'm sleeping better, and since it's so squishy, it doesn't seem to push on the mask when it touches.
I feel that I was lucky to be able to take some try-on masks home to try out. I wish everyone would be able to do this. The mask is SO important. I wish you luck in finding the one that will make your sleep good.

Panchali

Post by Panchali » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 pm

My first mask was a Zest Q. Worked fabulously for the first month, didn't work as well on my second machine during month 2. Bought a Sleepweaver Advanced with ZZZephyr Seal and I sleep like a baby in any position. 7 hrs a night. I can't remember the last time I slept like that when I wasn't sick in bed for days. And SO quiet. I think I was spoiled with the Zest and it's swivel tube attachment because I sure miss that but having spent $170 on this mask was the best thing I've ever done. It is VERY worth it.

brucifer

Post by brucifer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm a side sleeper, and I love my OPUS 360 nasal pillow mask. I rarely have any leaks at all, and I don't wake up with mask lines on my face. I'm very happy with the OPUS 360.

jacoby75

Post by jacoby75 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I did learn the hard way about being sure to get the right size mask. At first the sleep tech put the Confortgel Blue in a Large on my face and said, "that looks good." He probably assumed that because I'm a big guy (6' 6") with - if I might say - a pretty large head, the large would be good. But I got a ton of leaks. I went back and got a Resmed Mirage Micro in Large, and it sealed great. But I realized once I tried it for a couple of nights that the seal was great because it was way too small and it was pinching off my nose. After a few days I thought I was congested, and was having trouble breathing. But when I took it off, I was fine. I tried the Phillips mask that was too big, and could breathe fine. I realized the Resmed was pinching me off too much.

For any other newbies: I wish I had known before to go to the websites and download the size templates for their masks if they don't actually measure you for something at the doctor. Once I did, I relized no Resmed nasal mask will fit me. And I realized that despite being a large person, I'm actually a Medium when it comes to the Phillips masks. I went back yesterday and got a medium Phillips Comfortgel Blue mask (same exact mask, but a size smaller), and tried it for the first time last night. I had my best night yet, thanks to having the right size mask. It still is taking some getting used to, and I still have to fidget with it occasionally through the night because it leaks when I change positions, or I have to adjust the hose, but that's normal. Once I get it situated, it works great.

gertrude

Post by gertrude » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm

jacoby75 wrote:I still have to fidget with it occasionally through the night because it leaks when I change positions, or I have to adjust the hose, but that's normal.
Can't remember if it was already discussed on this thread, but a hose management system can help minimize the need for adjusting the hose when you turn over. I have mine come over the top of the headboard, but there are all sorts of other systems available for sale or for creative lab ratting. Search for topics like hose buddy or hose management. Reducing the pull to one side helped me a lot, even though the mask isn't perfect.

Xney

Post by Xney » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 pm

I use hose buddy and I like it a lot. It basically lets the hose hang more freely for me. I have an over-the-head Swift LT, so I don't need it to 'float' over my head, but it's good at just keeping things where they should be. I have found going behind the headboard just isn't that stable.

You could certainly rig your own hose guiding system, of course.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 am

I sleep mostly on my side. I used to move around a lot and sleep on both sides and my back. I think I have learned to sleep more on my side because sleeping on my back causes higher pressures (my apnea is worse, so my pressure goes up), and that causes more leak, which wakes me. I also tend to relax my jaw more while sleeping on my back, and that seems to be the cause of dry mouth for me. If I sleep on my side, I sleep better, have fewer leaks, and very little dry mouth.

I sleep with the Quattro FX (full face mask), and while i do have fitting issues sometimes (I am a newbie), I also have other nights with no problems at all. Last night, I got 8.1 hours with the machine, and my leak line was a flat line at zero. My ahi was 1.3, and my pressure was median 11.7, 95% 14, and maxed at 15.4. My prescription is 11-17. I felt really good today.

I have been coughing for over 3 weeks, which has really messed with my sleep. I've been in bed long enough each night, but the mask has been coming off due to coughing and struggling to sleep. Thankfully, I didn't have this problem during the compliance phase, or I would have failed at 66% compliance. I was 88% for the first 2 months. Yesterday, I was so tired, I had to use energy drinks to get through work. Today was a day off, and I am coughing less, so that helps. But I had a great night of sleep, and I felt great, and I never touched an energy drink. I am hoping for another great night tonight now that my coughing is so much better. I coughed a little today, but no cough syrup or cough drops at all. So, huge improvement.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

jzap

Post by jzap » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:06 am

Its not an elegant or highly sophisticated solution, but try folding your pillow, and put it under your head with the folded edge just forward of your ear. This will support your head but let the mask hang over the edge in air and not let the pillow push against it. It works for me as long as I pick one side or the other for the night.

SW Ohio

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 pm

aloha. it even self adjusts if you toss and turn.

skippydoo

Post by skippydoo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:33 am

Hello my Resmed Mirage Ultra is like a limpet! I do move around lots at night, normally ending up on my side. I lie on the edge of my pillow when getting to sleep. Gosh knows what happens in the night but the mask stays on, the S9 Auto I had for a week said my leakage was ultra low so it must do the trick

Java Time

Post by Java Time » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm a side sleeper who has moved from using several different nasal masks the prior 7 months to the Aloha nasal pillows.

For me the secret to using the nasal pillows was finding a nasal pillow mask that routes the hose over my head and holds the hose in place. The floppy hose had led to leaks on my prior attempts at nasal pillow masks.

On the Aloha there is a velcro loop on the top of the headgear, so you can route the hose above your head and keep it from moving too much.

There are other nasal pillow masks that also either route the hose in front of your face or up the side of your face. Those would also probably work for me as a side sleeper. For me, the secret seems to be keeping the nasal pillow hose from flopping all over.

If you are struggling with congestion, it helped me to add Alkalol to my daily sinus rinse. This reduced my congestion and allows me to breathe freely with my CPAP mask. CPAPtalk post about Alkalol use here: viewtopic.php?p=665255#p665255

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm a side sleeper and cannot use nasal pillows so I use the Mirage Softgel with no problems. I use a memory foam pillow and sleep on the edge of it or mush the edge of the pillow in.