Adrenal Fatigue: Is it dangerous to "try" Hydrocortisol ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
howkim

Re: Adrenal Fatigue: Is it dangerous to "try" Hydrocortisol ?

Post by howkim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:46 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:I dare say Cortisol is nothing you should try without being diagnosed by an endocrinologist who has determined the problem and prescribes it with both of you fully knowing the risk it poses. Read through the wiki noting the bad effects.
It messes with your...

immune system
inflammation control
memory (long and short)
bone formation
blood sugar control
collagen loss
gastric-acid secretion
sodium and potassium balances
kidney diuresis
blood pressure
reproductive system

And your cortisol levels might already be HIGH because one of the factors wiki says increases it naturally is sleep deprivation, something we OSA people often experience in varying degrees. Cortisol levels is something Mayo measures in people with adrenal problems / POTS (POTS also comes with exercise intolerance, by the way, and POTS and adrenaline problems are directly correlated in some POTS patients).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol
Looking for ::like:: button.

I am not a mushroom.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:50 pm

howkim wrote:Looking for ::like:: button.
Thank you. I have often wished these forums has a like button.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

ZolliStar

Post by ZolliStar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:06 am

lagasan wrote:I have Primary Adrenal Insufficiency (AKA Addison's Disease) that was diagnosed by an endocrinologist. It is a very rare and deadly disease without treatment. My adrenal glands were destroyed by my own immune system. Adrenal Fatigue is something that holistic doctors diagnose and is dismissed by most endocrinologists. I'm not saying adrenal fatigue does not exist, just be wary. I recommend that you see an endocrinologist if you are still having problems with fatigue. I recommend that anyone over the age of 40 see an endocrinologist every 5 years. I think we have a gap in our care when we do not see endos.

Hydrocortisone and Florinef (Fludrocortisone) are the drugs used to treat someone with primary adrenal insufficiency. But these drugs are only used when the adrenal glands no longer work or have failed to the point where the glands do not produce enough cortisol and aldosterone. If you take these drugs when the adrenal glands are still working, these drugs will cause the glands to shut down and atrophy. In effect, if you take these drugs when you do not need them, you may kill your adrenal glands.

I know it is awful when you have debilitating fatigue. But please see an endocrinologist. It is relatively simple to diagnose Adrenal Insufficiency with a few blood tests. And the endo will look at all of your symptoms and tests, not just focus on adrenal glands.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Anne