REVIEW -Philips Respironics "Amara" Full Face Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carolyngoodman

Re: REVIEW -Philips Respironics "Amara" Full Face Mask

Post by carolyngoodman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 am

49er,

Yes I agree. These were general guidelines that RESP found through their testings. We saw roughly the same in our small group of giveaway participants. From the 11 who have submitted reviews from that group, we saw that most of them had the one to one match with the Quattro sizing work for them.

The two people who had the most trouble were the two with high pressures, (20 and 21). There was one other who found it felt smaller. All of these were tested with an Amara medium size.

I am eager to see the reviews as we have more people try over all of the sizes.

- Carolyn
Check out: My User Page

You can create yours here. Just log in and then you will see your name appear on the list. Click your name and edit away.

Moondawg

Post by Moondawg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 pm

OK, ten nights with the Amara FFM. Long story short, impressive! Pro's: high tech, light weight, thrust adjuster at the top of the mask that allows for 'fine tuning' leaks, head gear is, well, headgear, easy to clean (I guess I am either too anal or too new, but I clean everything, to include the humidifier tray, every morning). Con's: It took ME (Mr. Newbie but not my first mask) several nights to tweak the FFM so it would not eventually destroy the bridge of my nose). It was just a matter of moving the mask up on my nose rather than leaving it where it was doing the damage. It's a pretty well thought-out piece of gear. I'd recommend it. Again, hope this helps you make a decision. BTW, for fitting, I am wearing a medium - I am 6', 185 lbs, no beard.

GoJC

Post by GoJC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

Ouch! Do you still recommend the Amara? I have problems with a sensitive bridge of the nose also. I am a woman, so do you think the problem would be worse for me? Right now I have the change to get the Quattro FX FFM, it felt decent went trying it at the doctor's office, but I had read about the Amara and thought I would for them to order that one. Now I'm really confused????????

GoJC

Post by GoJC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 am

Ouch! Do you still recommend the Amara? I have problems with a sensitive bridge of the nose also. I am a woman, so do you think the problem would be worse for me? Right now I have the chance to get the Quattro FX FFM, it felt decent went trying it at the doctor's office, but I had read about the Amara and thought I would for them to order that one. Now I'm really confused????????

eplantz

Post by eplantz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:51 pm

I got the Amara FFM yesterday and used it for the first time last night. I've been using the Mirage Quattro FFM for the past 6 months.

Initial observations:

Mirage Quattro was size MED and Amara is size MED. I like the fit.... it felt pretty comfortable.

My S9 is set for 14-20 pressure. At the lower end, the mask is quieter. But at the upper end I thought the mask was noisier (from the exhalation vent)

Around mid-night I thought I was getting leaks. I need to play with it some more..... the adjustment above the nose seems to help.

The most notable change is my eyes. Ever since using the Mirage Quattro, I have had issues with my eyes feeling "sandy, gritty" all day long. As far as I can tell the mask is not leaking by my eyes. But, today, my eyes are GREAT. The Amara mask is thinner near the nose and is farther from the eyes. It must be related to the mask and I'm happy about that.

The headgear is OK..... pretty much same as the Mirage. In both, I find the upper band slips UP my head during the night which tends to make the mask loose at the top.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:34 am

When I saw CPAP.com was offering free return insurance, I ordered my Amara. (It is en-route)
(I know; I have an obsession--find my 'perfect' fit.)
Moondawg's hamburger nose might actually be a plus for me (sorry, Dawg); since the Quattro will not seal on my chin and nose at the same time.
As I'm between sizes on the Quattro, the next to smallest size just MIGHT work. (fingers crossed)
I see that there desperately needs to be mask sizing based on 3-D biometrics.
If I can figure something out; I'll post what I can come up with.

eplantz

Post by eplantz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:00 pm

I was not able to get a night's sleep without serious leaking. At higher pressures (mine likes to get up to 19.5), the mask seems to float off my face.

I'm returning it and still looking for a better mask that will not affect my eyes.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Moon: when I started cpap therapy a few years back, I went two nights with a full face mask, and woke up with blood all over the pillow due to the sore (raw meat) on the bridge of my nose. I took a photo, and it really looks bad. My nose bridge was so high, I couldn't get a good seal under my eyes. I went to a Mirage Liberty mask, but because my left nostril is plugged (deviated septum) it leaked badly. I went to the mask I have now. When I first saw my mask, my 1st thought was, "what idiot would wear this?" Well.... me....

Sheriff

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:21 pm

My Amara is at the house! I can hardly wait to try it!
I was curious how they got the name, so I did the google thing:
From Nickelodeon Parents Connect:
“The feminine Amara may be derived from the Greek amarantos (eternal, unfading).
Alternatively, it may be from the Latin amarus (bitter, sour).
As a male name it is Sanskrit in origin, and means 'immortal'.
It also refers to the number 33 as this is the exact number of the Hindu main deities, and to a type of tree.
Amara is the name given to paradise in Ethiopian legends.”
Hmmmm. . .

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Well, first 2 nights with the Amara--probably the last two.
Leak rate was 112+ the first night, 90+ the second.
Very comfortable, but the mask shape does not maintain a seal when my lower jaw relaxes.
Too much curve below the mouth. I guess I'm a freak of nature.

Vader

Amara not an improvement

Post by Vader » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:02 pm

I've been using the Amara (A-Mar-A) for about a week or so, but have been alternating it with the Quattro FX. The reason for alternating is because the Amara is really rough on the nose bridge. I think it's much worse than the Mirage Quattro in that regard. At least the Mirage Quattro has a better adjustment on the nose bridge piece. ( btw, I've been using a size medium in all these masks)
I'm pretty sure this Amara has to be returned, mainly because I've been over that whole "raw nose" thing for several years now, and it looks like there is no room for further adjustment (in my case) with the Amara
I've even been using it with a Pad-a-Cheek liner, but that only helps out a little.
I might let my nose rest for another week or so, and try it again, but this looks hopeless.
I'll probably have to just continue with my Quattro FX, which so far is the best for me, but I think the headgear for it is pretty lousy. I sure wish someone could come out with a mask like the Quattro FX (no nose bridge piece!) but with high quality headgear like the Amara has.

Vader

napstress

Post by napstress » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Can anyone else weigh in on the Amara? I stopped by Apria today to see if they've come up with anything new in the past year. The only new mask is the Amara, which the RT is very excited about. He says he doesn't expect it in for another month. So far I've had the most success with the Quattro FX, size Med, but even that chews up my nose bridge—even with the Pad-A-Cheek mask liner.

A couple of weeks ago in the grocery store, I counted 23 different types of toothpaste made by Crest. They had whitening, tartar control, whitening with tartar control, extra whitening, etc.—and everything in gel or in paste. And this was just one brand! Surely ResMed and PR could come up with more than one mask every two years between them!!!!
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Go figure.
I sent my Amara back. Leak s of over 90 didn't seem like such a hot commodity.

Vader

Post by Vader » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:15 pm

napstress wrote:Can anyone else weigh in on the Amara? I stopped by Apria today to see if they've come up with anything new in the past year. The only new mask is the Amara, which the RT is very excited about. He says he doesn't expect it in for another month. So far I've had the most success with the Quattro FX, size Med, but even that chews up my nose bridge—even with the Pad-A-Cheek mask liner.

A couple of weeks ago in the grocery store, I counted 23 different types of toothpaste made by Crest. They had whitening, tartar control, whitening with tartar control, extra whitening, etc.—and everything in gel or in paste. And this was just one brand! Surely ResMed and PR could come up with more than one mask every two years between them!!!!
I tried to make it work for me, but was unable to stop the pressure on the bridge of my nose. Although I was able to not have any leaks, even with the bridge adjustment all the way out. But it still tore up my nose.
Mine got returned. The Mirage Quattro is a far superior mask, in my opinion. I'm surprised this was the best Respironics could come up with, in light of the popular Mirage Quattro, made by ResMed.
However I still prefer the Quattro FX, and that's the mask I'll continue to use until someone can improve on it.

Vader

thom2my

Post by thom2my » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 pm

The P-T Amara FFM mask weaknesses are: -

1. Poor exhaust port located at the elbow. CO2 do not get flushed out as quickly enough and CO2 retention results in rebreathing-in & discomfort. I couldn't use it for more than 1-2 hours. Putting exhaust port holes on the mask like the Quattro will make a significant difference.
2, Clips are hard to use especially when one is wearing the mask. Amara should use the EasyLife-type clips.
3. The Elbow port is angled too close causing the tube be too close for comfort.

ComfortGel Full leaks too much. Gel mask are weak in FFM types.

Phillips-Respironics should improve on the Amara as it has potential to become a good FFM mask.

Btw, I am a sleep technologist in a sleep lab and also a cpap-user.

Cheers!