REVIEW -Philips Respironics "Amara" Full Face Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grand-PAP

Re: REVIEW -Philips Respironics "Amara" Full Face Mask

Post by Grand-PAP » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Moondawg wrote:The bridge of my nose looks like raw hamburger, blood blisters, etc..
Hi Moondawg,

Wow! Your review was going great then -- raw hamburger. I was about ready to order one.

I had a problem with my nose bridge with my first mask, a nasal mask. I had a small problem when I began using the Mirage Quattro Full Face mask, the pad-a-cheek liner totally resolved the problem.

Have you been using any kind of liner during your test of the Amara?

Moondawg

Post by Moondawg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Nope. I am trying to make this whole life changing event as SIMPLE as I can. Each extra piece of gear no matter what it is, complicates the process. As I mentioned in my update, the problem was with me and not the Amara FFM. I was making fit adjustments in the wrong direction, further exacerbating the damage to my nose bridge. I 'think' I have it figured out - by moving the mask 'above' the sore yet still getting a good seal. I swear this mask fitting is 90% voodoo and 10% the size, style of the mask. Still like the Amara, just taking me some time to tweak it.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Moondawg wrote: I swear this mask fitting is 90% voodoo and 10% the size, style of the mask. Still like the Amara, just taking me some time to tweak it.
I think your numbers are a little off - I would say it's 95% voodoo, because selecting the right size and style of the mask is mainly voodoo!

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks Moondawg for your helpful updates.

Well, the good news I can preorder it from directhomemedical.com with a 30 day money back guarantee. Cpap.com for some reason doesn't even offer the return insurance deal.

The bad news is there is no information on how to pick the right size. I even went to the company site to no avail so I will follow up with someone to get what I need.

Gosh, this daggone mask better work right after all the waiting I have done and hassles to get sizing information:)

Again, thanks.

49er

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Good work on this review! What size are you using? Is it the same size as the Forma? Were you properly measured or just eyeballed as our DME did?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:34 pm

49er wrote:Cpap.com for some reason doesn't even offer the return insurance deal.
Hi 49er,

Actually cpap.com does offer the return insurance:

They both have the same base price $169. Directhomemedical.com's discounted price is $128.95 and cpap.com is $129. It looks like directhomemedical offers free return: GUARANTEETry this mask at home and, if you're not completely satisfied, return it within 30-days for a full refund of the original purchase price!

It looks like cpaptalk.com would be $129 + $19.73.
49er wrote:The bad news is there is no information on how to pick the right size. I even went to the company site to no avail so I will follow up with someone to get what I need.
49er
You pointed out the same concern I have -- how do you determine the correct size? I also went to the Respironics site, but couldn't find anything.

If you get a lead on a sizing chart, please post the source.

Last edited by Grand-PAP on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moondawg

Post by Moondawg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks DoriC. Same size..medium. Beats me how they size them. I went to my DME - Visiting Nurse Service in Akron, OH and work worked with a very experienced RT. She said 'Medium' so who am I to say otherwise..I'm 6' and 185lbs with the standard issue face. She said a 'large' would be for a Jackie Gleason and a 'small' for a 12 year old. It's sure NOT scientific; i.e. getting fitted for eye glass frames. I think they (DME's) expect you to fine tune the thing, some people are quicker and better at it than apparently I am. The Amara is a well thought-out 'interface' (gotta love that word for a face mask), don't let my nose bridge experience keep your from considering it.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Moondawg wrote:Thanks DoriC. Same size..medium. Beats me how they size them. I went to my DME - Visiting Nurse Service in Akron, OH and work worked with a very experienced RT. She said 'Medium' so who am I to say otherwise..I'm 6' and 185lbs with the standard issue face. She said a 'large' would be for a Jackie Gleason and a 'small' for a 12 year old. It's sure NOT scientific; i.e. getting fitted for eye glass frames. I think they (DME's) expect you to fine tune the thing, some people are quicker and better at it than apparently I am. The Amara is a well thought-out 'interface' (gotta love that word for a face mask), don't let my nose bridge experience keep your from considering it.
Sometimes these "experienced" RTs get it wrong. They have a "gizmo" in the office that they should be using to actually measure the face from nose bridge to indent in chin.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:45 pm

@Grand-Pap: Thanks. I was thinking correctly then, just never knew what it was called.

Starlette

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:12 am

Grand-PAP wrote:
49er wrote:Cpap.com for some reason doesn't even offer the return insurance deal.
Hi 49er,

Actually cpap.com does offer the return insurance:

They both have the same base price $169. Directhomemedical.com's discounted price is $128.95 and cpap.com is $129. It looks like directhomemedical offers free return: GUARANTEETry this mask at home and, if you're not completely satisfied, return it within 30-days for a full refund of the original purchase price!

It looks like cpaptalk.com would be $129 + $19.73.
49er wrote:The bad news is there is no information on how to pick the right size. I even went to the company site to no avail so I will follow up with someone to get what I need.
49er
You pointed out the same concern I have -- how do you determine the correct size? I also went to the Respironics site, but couldn't find anything.

If you get a lead on a sizing chart, please post the source.
Thanks Grand Pap.

I noticed the return insurance screen came up when I did a mock order. The information still isn't there initially.

Yup, I will definitely let folks know if I find out any information on sizing.

49er

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 pm

It hasn't been mentioned yet, so let me ask if you are sure you don't need a larger size mask. I use the Forma and before that had the Ultra something for a few years. The ultra was a Medium so that's what the DME issued in the Forma. It kinda worked but after a week or so began to irritate my bridge. We switched it for a Large and haven't looked back.

If I use the default headgear setup the mask slips down onto my bridge. So instead I strap the top together to force them to come over the forehead and pull the mask up and adjust all the straps to match. The Form fits under the chin and holds there while the top keeps it from slipping. My bridge is okay and it helps my breath through the nose as well.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

Moondawg

Post by Moondawg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 am

Yep. Too wide at both the top and bottom. Would have to pull the headgear too tight to get a seal, if I even could. Good question.

carolyngoodman

Post by carolyngoodman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:55 am

Howdy,

There are sizing tips on the product page, under the "important tips" tab. We received this information from talking with Respironics. It is based on sizing from the original ResMed Quattro full face (not the Quattro FX). The "important tips" is where we put any notes on sizing if there is not an official sizing guide, and any other tips we found from in house testing. Please see the note that if you are using a high pressure, you may want to start with a smaller size.

From our page:
Sizing recommendations if you are changing from a ResMed Mirage Quattro™ Full Face Mask

If you are currently using a Mirage Quattro™ Full Face Mask and are trying the Amara, we recommend the following sizing recommendations:

Amara Petite (Reduced Size Headgear & Frame) = Quattro™ X-Small
Amara Small - (Reduced Size Headgear & Frame) = Quattro™ Small fitting a bit too large
Amara Small = Quattro™ Small fitting well
Amara Medium = Quattro™ Medium
Amara Large = Quattro™ Large
There are two different Mask Frame Sizes and two different Headgear sizes. Here is some help with that:
Respironics designed the Amara to make it easy to change out sizes and to be able to fit larger and smaller faces. There are 2 different mask frame sizes: a standard and a reduced size 'RS.' There are 2 different headgear sizes - a standard and a reduced size 'RS.' The frames, cushions and headgears are all interchangable.

Both the regular and RS sized headgear will fit on any size Amara mask and frame. Both the regular and RS sized frame will fit any size cushion or headgear.

The mask size determines what frame size and headgear size comes packaged with the mask.

"Petite - (Reduced Size Headgear & Frame)" - Comes with the petite cushion, RS frame, RS headgear
"Small - (Reduced Size Headgear & Frame)" - Comes with the small cushion, RS frame, RS headgear
"Small" - Comes with the small cushion, regular frame, regular headgear
"Medium" - Comes with the medium cushion, regular frame, regular headgear
"Large" - Comes with the large cushion, regular frame, regular headgear
As another note, to address competitive offers, we have a price match policy, before and after the purchase. Also RESP officially launched the Amara today. Meaning RESP is now allowing sales orders to ship to the end user beginning today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Carolyn
Check out: My User Page

You can create yours here. Just log in and then you will see your name appear on the list. Click your name and edit away.

Issac

Post by Issac » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Dude, that hamburger nose thing sucks. It drove me to the hybrid which I wore for 4 or more years. Maybe get some of those gel things , they use to be made by sequal. Get something between your nose and that mask before you get an infection.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:51 am

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for responding. It is greatly appreciated.

Did you see the exert from this one commentator who switched from the Mirage Quattro to the Amara?

""My Quattro is a medium and the Amara that I tried was also a medium. Comparing the two, the Amara was a lot smaller and the areas which contacted my face were a lot smaller.""

Thankfully, there is a complete 30 money back guarantee.

49er