My First Month: Some observations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
drstevej

My First Month: Some observations

Post by drstevej » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:09 am

[1] What at first seemed hideous, strange and unworkable now has become almost a habit and just a part of my bedtime routine. I no longer awake at night disgusted by the presence of my equipment.
[2] I now have the settings pegged that work for me. I prefer no ramp and have the humidity at a better level.
[3] I tried lavender drops in the water but found out they smell good but irritate my sinuses, so I stopped using them.
[4] I am finding that getting truly rested takes weeks if not more of productive sleep.
[5] I have not hesitated to mention to friends that I now use a CPAP and have found out that many of my friends do and were shy about discussing it. It's good to know fellow travellers
[6] In the first week I realized that wearing a mask to sleep was less onerous if I recall that a scuba diver wears a similar mask while exploring the ocean. My CPAP mask lets me explore my dreams better.

123.Shawn T.W.

Re: My First Month: Some observations

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:32 am

Interesting you mention scuba ... As I have done that, and was hoping that it might be similar ...
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 am

You're doing great, but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put anything in your humidifier tank except water. If it irritated your sinuses, imagine what it did to your lungs!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:46 am

The Pur-Sleep products are essential oils placed on a pad near (or not so near) the air intake.
I have done the same thing with a scented wax pellet.

ekubaskie

Post by ekubaskie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:39 pm

We really need to smack the advertising genius that renamed "concentrated" oils to "essential" oils.

And maybe the other genius, who took the part of the chicken nobody wanted, cut it in two and spiced it to sweat & tears levels, and now has millions of people (disclaimer: including me) paying more for 4 or 5 wings than we do for a whole chicken.

cqfd93

Post by cqfd93 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:15 am

ekubaskie wrote:We really need to smack the advertising genius that renamed "concentrated" oils to "essential" oils.
The word "essential" comes from "essence" which stands for "extract"

Of course, in "essential oil", "essential" has nothing to do with "absolutely necessary".

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:29 am

ekubaskie wrote:We really need to smack the advertising genius that renamed "concentrated" oils to "essential" oils.

And maybe the other genius, who took the part of the chicken nobody wanted, cut it in two and spiced it to sweat & tears levels, and now has millions of people (disclaimer: including me) paying more for 4 or 5 wings than we do for a whole chicken.
I'll agree with you there. I don't like hot wings, but I like BBQ wings, and I thought I would make my own. I couldn't believe they cost more per pound than boneless skinless chicken breasts. That's insane.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

ekubaskie

Post by ekubaskie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:40 pm

cqfd93 wrote:
The word "essential" comes from "essence" which stands for "extract"

Of course, in "essential oil", "essential" has nothing to do with "absolutely necessary".
Absolutely correct! But a huge portion of the population does NOT get that distinction, and the manufacturers of such products are perfectly happy with that error. Even to the point where they will list the ingredients only as "essential oils" rather than "distilled civet urine." LOL!