CPAP resistant--and unhappy about it

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyinmississippi

CPAP resistant--and unhappy about it

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi.
I just got a CPAP device about a month ago and really haven't been compliant with CPAP therapy (which I don't feel good about at all.) Please help me learn to live with CPAP! And please bear with this lengthy post!
I have a Phillips Respironics Remstar CPAP and as well as a PHillips Respironics mask.
My concerns are these: I don't like sleeping on my back; and I have an orthotics mouthpiece "Silent Nite" (several years old) which no longer effectively treats my obstructive sleep apnea, as I have since gained weight.
But when I'm trying to fall asleep with this mask on my face while on my back, I give up, put my orthotics device in (I figure it'll help a little bit with my apnea) and then I wake up not feeling as refreshed as I did when I first walked out of the Sleep Clinic a month ago--after using CPAP all night long.
I used a CPAP mask about 10 years ago--and I was very complaint with the treatment. But when I learned I was eligible for a mouthpiece that would treat the apnea, I ditched the mask and started using the mouthpiece (I grind my teeth anyway.)
But I have a new reality to deal with now--but I can't convince myself of that at bedtime.
Any inspirational thoughts (or other "overcoming CPAP mask resistance" stories) would be much appreciated! I know I should just get with the program--but I can't for some reason.
Thank you for reading--and thanks in advance for your help.
STILL SLEEPY IN THE SOUTH

lazer

Re: CPAP resistant--and unhappy about it

Post by lazer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:02 pm

What type of mask and which model Phillips Respironics do you have? That will help get some helpful responses.

sleepyinmississippi

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:06 pm

To Lazer,
I have a PHilips Respironics EasyLife mask.
My CPAP is a Philips Respironics REMStar, with a System 1 heated humidifier PHilips respironics.

sleepyinmississippi

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 pm

To all,
I also should say that though it had been 8 years since I last had a sleep study done, I initiated this sleep study--asking my internist to refer me to the clinic.
I knew I was (and am) more tired throughout the day--and that my dental device wasn't completely curing my APNEA--and I wanted to do whatever it takes (i.e. another sleep study; and using the mask) to feel better during the day.
But now that I have the CPAP mask, I'm finding myself to be my own worst enemy.
Perhaps it'll just take time?

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:20 pm

A positive attitude is a great start. I know you're frustrated, but there a many wonderful people on this board that can help you through this transition. The one comment that stands out is that you don't have to always sleep on your back with CPAP. The key is hose management. Search the board for "hose management" and you'll find all kinds of useful info.

The other newbie trick is to put your mask on and watch tv or read a book BEFORE you want to go to bed. That way you get used to the feel and the pressure w/o being very tired and frustrated.

I'm sure many more helpful hints will follow. Check out the blogs in my signature for some great info. Hang in there!

lazer

Post by lazer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 pm

sleepyinmississippi wrote:To Lazer,
I have a PHilips Respironics EasyLife mask.
My CPAP is a Philips Respironics REMStar, with a System 1 heated humidifier PHilips respironics.
Can you pick out your machine here? ---> https://www.cpap.com/productSearch.php? ... cs+REMStar

Ok I see your mask. It's a Nasal Mask. What is giving you the most trouble about this mask?

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:25 pm

It does take time to get used to, and the fact that you have done it in the past shows that you CAN do it. However, one thing is for certain is that if you don't use it (as you admitted non-compliance) you won't get used to it. You need to force yourself every night to use it and to commit to it--until you mentally commit, you will give yourself excuses to not use the machine.

There may also be issues with your mask or pressure settings that are keeping you from adjusting, but you first need to use it consistently to figure out what those issues might be, if any. Obviously, you want to make CPAP work, or you wouldn't have posted here. So, keep up with that line of wanting this to work and in no time you'll be fully adjusted.

(yet another Jeff)

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Who told you to sleep on your back? It's the worst position for provoking new apneas and if you can avoid it, do so!

sleepyinmississippi

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Lazer,
What's giving me trouble with this mask is that it won't allow me to sleep on my stomach. I'm not used to sleeping on my back--but other than that the mask is comfortable I suppose. Also, my CPAP says "SYstem 1" on the top. Is there any more identifying information you need? and if so, where could I find it (I can't find the receipt)?
Julie--noone told me to sleep on my back. But I've tried sleeping on my side. I'm thinking that doing research on "hose management" is definitely the way to go. Thank you Jen7400 for the tip.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Agreed about back sleeping. It is always bad to sleep in a position that is not comfortable.
It is even worse when that position makes apnea, GERD, and aerophagia worse!
I sleep on my side all the time--even when I wear MY Easylife--with a regular pillow.
As for your restarting cpap,: You can do it. Just be consistent and persistent.
The machine and mask will become easier to deal with once you keep at it for a while.
Forgive yourself for past failures; this is your Mulligan.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:54 pm

sleepyinmississippi wrote: My concerns are these: I don't like sleeping on my back;
There is NO need for you to sleep on your back just because you use a CPAP. Many of us prefer other sleep positions and some of us attempt to avoid back sleeping even with a CPAP because OSA tends to be worse when we sleep on our back.

So rather than trying to sleep on your back, which you hate, try sleeping in your old favorite position with mask on your nose. It may take some adapting to make it work with mask on, but in the long run the closer you can sleep to your favorite sleeping position, the less intrusive the CPAP will be.

It does take some practice master side sleeping or stomach sleeping with a six foot hose attached to your nose. Some people find a special CPAP pillow with cutouts for the mask to be useful. Others find hanging the hose helps.

sleepyinmississippi

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Lazer,
Based on the CPAPTalk's "respironics confusing names: a guide for newbies" site, I believe I have a PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus.
Also, thanks to all for the good news about not having to sleep on my back. I will ask my sleep doc about hose management tomorrow, and better ways to sleep on my side (or at least not on my back.)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:07 pm

I prefer a regular pillow which is soft and not very tall.
I roll my face into it enough to help the seal on the 'down' side,
leaving headgear adjustment to take care of the 'up' side.
Dang, this is sounding so good--is it late enough for bed, yet?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Now that we have figured out which machine you are using could you please take the time to add your equipment to your profile equipment page. Please use text because with the images we cannot tell model names and as you might have figured out..model names are important. When you get to the equipment menu...look for a grouping of equipment that begins with PR System One Remstar.....whatever. The PR is for Phillips Respironics.
Your machine will be listed as PR System One Remstar Pro CPAP with CFlex plus.
Your humidifier will be listed as PR System One Heated Humidifier.

Please look in my signature at the bottom of this post for links to SleepyHead software. It is easy to use and will work with your machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:21 pm

sleepyinmississippi wrote:... and I have an orthotics mouthpiece "Silent Nite" (several years old) which no longer effectively treats my obstructive sleep apnea, as I have since gained weight.
Hi,

Do you like using the mouth piece? If so, look in the phone book for a dentist who treats sleep disorders (perhaps the same place you got the Silent Nite). They have a CPAP "interface" (the fancy word for things like masks) that fits in your mouth. This device is a boil and bite thing, so they heat up the gooey stuff, position your jaw, then you bite down on it to make an impression. It has a tube coming out that you connect to your CPAP. This does two things...(1) the mouthpiece pulls your lower jaw slightly forward, which can open your airway and make breathing much easier, and (2) it gives you CPAP pressure through the mouthpiece. When using this mouthpiece, you probably will need much lower CPAP pressure, which can make it much easier to adapt to.

I ran with one of these for a few days. I am at a very high pressure, so I had to use a nose plug to stop the blow back. My dentist said that many of his patients don't need to use a nose plug since they are lower pressures. I also found that it was a little messy to clean, and since I am really lazy, I ultimately preferred my nasal pillow mask. It was well worth the try, however.

-john-