S9 SpO2 sensor hackery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
-tim

S9 SpO2 sensor hackery

Post by -tim » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 am

I've hooked up two different Nonin devices up to my ResMed S9 Oximeter Adapter and they worked.

Both of the new devices have a 6 pin rectangular connector that has a pointy key on one end.
If you look at the connector, I'll call the upper left pin 1 if the key points to the right, with 1,2 and 3 on the top.
1 is +V, pin 3 and 5 both seem to be ground. I used 3 (I expect one is sheild gound and the other is signal ground). Pin 4 is the data.
I don't know what 2 and 5 are but I would guess one sets the signal mode, and the other may be a RS-232 level output or a signal input.

It looks like any of the 3012 Nonin Xpods or their 2312 Ipods will work fine. I used the part number 3831-101 of the 3212.

It looks like the S9 adapter has a 3 pin connector that I haven't found yet. Its top pin is ground and its lower left (as you look at it) is 5.2V. The other pin is data.

There Nonin 9 pin connector is a standard Db9. The OEM version is documented here: http://www.nonin.com/documents/OEM%20II ... ations.pdf
It describes what is inside the Xpod and Ipod.
1 sensor type, 2 LED ,3 LED, 4 N/C?, 5 photo diode signal, 6 Sensor type, 7 Ground/Shield, 8 N/C?, 9 Diode bias
7 Is useful to verify ground on the other end of an Xpod connection.

There might be a Lemo plastic connector that fits some of this stuff.

It appears that the 24V power connector to the H5i is isolated from the supply for the SpO2 which makes sense considering how much stuff is in the little box.

-tim

Re: S9 SpO2 sensor hackery

Post by -tim » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 am

The connector that plugs into the ResMed SpO2 adapter is made by Alpha Products and is part number 300/231C1089830.
(The one on the the adapter is part number 300/231C1090330)

I'm not sure how to order a small number of them.

shb

Post by shb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Tim,

I love your work ! All power to you..

I also use the S9 - but I ended up buying the CMS50i (data recording oximeter). for about $130 delivered..

The key is integrating the oximeter data into the software you use. That comes to a discussion about Res-scan and Sleepyhead..

With a little hack (I think natively it supports the CMS50e), I can import my oximeter data into Sleepyhead. The key is matching the timestamps, clocks are synched. It is just data.

Becasue my oximeter is "data recording" - I don't need to wire it into the cpap machine. I just upload into my computer.

-tim

Post by -tim » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:16 am

The goal is to have a $100 or so device that just plugs in and works with the base software. It won't be long before CPAP machines software starts to take into account O2 levels. $1000 for a machine and another $1000 for the sensors is crazy. I expect the adapter could be had for under $200 if anyone sold enough.

I bought these two devices from someone who had tried them with an S8 I believe. I've got the over priced resmed solution and it doesn't work as easily as it should. I've spent about $700 so far and I have the expensive parts of 2 mostly complete systems and one full system. The rest may be the connectors and cables... plus the over priced s9 adapter which I expect a major online retailer could deliver for closer to $200 if there was enough demand.