Philips System 1 pro or ResMed Escape

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepymike

Re: Philips System 1 pro or ResMed Escape

Post by sleepymike » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:53 pm

I just started on CPAP a few months ago. My first machine was a PR System One Pro with Auto IQ that I used for a month. It was a great machine, but I had to switch to an auto. If I could use a single set pressure for treatment I would happily use that model again. I have found tracking my data in Sleepyhead software to be essential to refining my treatment with my sleep doc. I will never have a machine that doesn't have full efficacy data after experiencing the ability to truly work with the doctor to optimize my treatment!

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:23 pm

I hate the AutoIQ because it's a "screw the customer" idea limiting the use of the functions to 30 days.

However, there is some neat stuff there. If they added the "AutoIQ" as an option to the real auto machine, it would be nice. It has a sort of "slow auto" mode were it adjusts the "manual" pressure every 30 hours of usage. Even this feature is somewhat crippled.

Apart from this, the AutoIQ presumably does everything the PRO does, so you could claim it's better than the PRO in some sense. I'd still try to go for the real auto machine given the chance.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:34 pm

I don't understand the bad rap that the AutoIQ keeps getting. The AutoIQ isn't trying to be an apap. It has nothing to do with apap. It's just a way to automatically check your pressure and set it on a cpap machine. It's an addon to a cpap machine. It still has a data card for those who want to crunch the numbers but not everybody wants to do that. This is a way to ensure your machine is set at the optimum pressure without having to download and analyze data.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:03 pm

tigrpal wrote:I don't understand the bad rap that the AutoIQ keeps getting. The AutoIQ isn't trying to be an apap. It has nothing to do with apap. It's just a way to automatically check your pressure and set it on a cpap machine. It's an addon to a cpap machine. It still has a data card for those who want to crunch the numbers but not everybody wants to do that. This is a way to ensure your machine is set at the optimum pressure without having to download and analyze data.
The problem is the Philips chose to lock you out of the auto function after 30 days of use.

If you need to do the auto bit again in the future because your CPAP needs have changed, tough luck. If you want to sell or donate the machine, it's artificially "used up," and will not do what a new machine would. The second user may not get the full benefit that the original user did.

[Edit - Philips, not ResMed]

Last edited by archangle on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

lazer

Post by lazer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm

archangle wrote:
tigrpal wrote:I don't understand the bad rap that the AutoIQ keeps getting. The AutoIQ isn't trying to be an apap. It has nothing to do with apap. It's just a way to automatically check your pressure and set it on a cpap machine. It's an addon to a cpap machine. It still has a data card for those who want to crunch the numbers but not everybody wants to do that. This is a way to ensure your machine is set at the optimum pressure without having to download and analyze data.
The problem is the ResMed chose to lock you out of the auto function after 30 days of use.

If you need to do the auto bit again in the future because your CPAP needs have changed, tough luck. If you want to sell or donate the machine, it's artificially "used up," and will not do what a new machine would. The second user may not get the full benefit that the original user did.
A little "birdie" told me that you can simply reset it back to day 0 to regain the "Auto"pap functionality.

And I think it's Philips Respironics, not Resmed... Correct?

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:05 pm

lazer wrote:
archangle wrote:
The problem is the ResMed chose to lock you out of the auto function after 30 days of use.

A little "birdie" told me that you can simply reset it back to day 0 to regain the "Auto"pap functionality.

And I think it's Philips Respironics, not Resmed... Correct?
It is the Philips.

But the complaint has been that you have only 30 days of autopap but the fact is you have zero days of autopap. You can't ever set a low or high pressure. It's not an autopap machine. They sell those but they have a different name. The autoIQ has a different purpose. It is, as I stated, a kind of self titration. If I would have known my machine had this feature I would have saved my time and money on a titration sleep study in which they determine a pressure after only 5 hours of sleep. The autoIQ uses at least 3 nights of sleep to determine a pressure. No doubt, an apap machine is more versatile, but some people who can tolerate a constant pressure and don't have the mindset to regularly analyze data, could benefit from such a feature. Plus, you can always set the pressure yourself if you want.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I apologize if I sound that way. I just want people to understand the autoIQ function, what it does and what it does not do. I'm a teacher and I want the class to understand with a 95% comprehension rate.

lazer

Post by lazer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:13 pm

tigrpal wrote:It is the Philips.

But the complaint has been that you have only 30 days of autopap but the fact is you have zero days of autopap. You can't ever set a low or high pressure. It's not an autopap machine. They sell those but they have a different name. The autoIQ has a different purpose. It is, as I stated, a kind of self titration. If I would have known my machine had this feature I would have saved my time and money on a titration sleep study in which they determine a pressure after only 5 hours of sleep. The autoIQ uses at least 3 nights of sleep to determine a pressure. No doubt, an apap machine is more versatile, but some people who can tolerate a constant pressure and don't have the mindset to regularly analyze data, could benefit from such a feature. Plus, you can always set the pressure yourself if you want.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I apologize if I sound that way. I just want people to understand the autoIQ function, what it does and what it does not do. I'm a teacher and I want the class to understand with a 95% comprehension rate.
I'll let you know a little more tmrw mrng but lets just say I have my hands on one of these units atm and I've also been "told" otherwise regarding the ability to use it ongoing forever as an Auto.

But I'm not sure of course until the 30 days is used up if the later part of my sentence above is true.

A very reliable source that I fully trust has told me this to be fact though UNLESS I have misunderstood something.

Stay tuned!

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:14 pm

tigrpal wrote:

Thanks for the ResMed correction.

I hope you're the kind of teacher who appreciates it when a pupil corrects the teacher.

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_h ... ochure.pdf

"In the Auto-Trial phase, the device will deliver Auto-CPAP therapy for the number of days of patient use set by the clinician."

Note the "A-Trial Max and A-trial Min" items, which are set in the provider menu.

Useful Links.

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:36 am

I don't mind being wrong. That's how we learn.

I stand corrected on the settings. I stand supported on the way it is meant to be used.

lazer

Post by lazer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am

Sorry for my part in the "derail" of this thread regarding the autoIQ.

I've opened up a new discussion here: viewtopic/t78919/PR-System-One-REMstar- ... utoIQ.html

Feel free to continue there and I will also update in that thread so we can get some answers and first hand knowledge as to the true functionality of this machine.

Also, I'm not intending to be argumentative either with anyone. I just want to get this figured out so others can possibly benefit!

Cheers! Image

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:53 am

Well I'm glad everyone got into this discussion, as I picked up my machine today. It's a PRS1 with AutoIQ . The rep showed me how to use the machine, and it's a feature I most likely won't use. But it surely doesn't hurt to know how it works in case I want to give it a try. I'm coming from a ResMed S6, with a setting of 14 and I've never used the ramp up feature, so the constant flow doesn't bother me at all. I'm just glad that I got the "Pro" and not one of the variations. The insurance company bought the machine outright, so I can make changes if I want to experiment. Total cost was $931.18, in line with most of the prices I saw on the net .. co-pay was only 10%, which included the unit, humidifier, new mask (ResMed mirage fx) and headgear. I was using the Ultra Mirage (which I still have) but the flow is very different, so I'll go through an adustment period. Thanks to everyone the info, I'll let you know how it goes as I'm sure I'll have questions!!

Last edited by Bigron452 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

lazer

Post by lazer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:14 am

Bigron452 wrote:Well I'm glad everyone got into this discussion, as I picked up my machine today. It's a PRS1 with AutoIQ .. The rep showed me how to use the machine, and it's a feature I most likely won't use. But it surely doesn't hurt to know how it works in case I want to give it a try. I'm coming from a ResMed S6, with a setting of 14 and I've never used the ramp up feature, so the constant flow doesn't bother me at all. I'm just glad that I got the "Pro" and not one of the variations. The insurance company bought the machine outright, so I can make changes if I want to experiment. Total cost was $931.18, in line with most of the prices I saw on the net .. co-pay was only 10%, which included the unit, humidifier, new mask (ResMed mirage fx) and headgear. I was using the Ultra Mirage (which I still have) but the flow is very different, so I'll go through an adustment period. Thanks to everyone the info, I'll let you know how it goes as I'm sure I'll have questions!!
Hi Bigron, I'm also doing some treatment and tweaking with this very machine as you can see from my recent posts. Feel free to let me know any questions that come up as you proceed and we can work together and try to solve along with the great help on this board. I've already been into the 'clinical menu' and adjusted some items. Probably only going to use it one more night and then I'll be back on my temporary DME unit that has been loaned to me until a resolution is given from my insurance of whether I meet their criteria or not for coverage thus why I grabbed up the AutoIQ so I have something permanent to fall back on down the road.

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:50 am

Good deal Lazer .. I'm sure I'll have questions. I'm going to try the new machine tonight for the first time with both masks to see which is more comfortable. I'll try with and without humdifier but won't really play with the settings yet. Lets just see if I can get a good nights sleep out of the unit first. Questions will surely come up once I download SH and and get my brain spinning! I'll mostly be at it late since there's no work tomorrow ..

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am

Isn't it great that you found out that the Pro you got was a "special" Pro. While you may not ever need or want the APAP features available on it, it is nice to have them there "just in case". Some people do better on APAP and some people do better on straight cpap. Sometimes people's pressure needs change for some reason or another. I just want people to understand it is okay to be different and the only person that they have to please is themselves. Whatever makes them happy is good in my book.
Just because someone can change something doesn't always mean they should but I think that everyone should be educated as to what their machines will do "just in case" if they are of the mind set to want to be educated.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Pugsy, I totally agree! I've been using my S6 brick for 8+ yrs and never knew of all the options available on newer models. I never even looked into one, since I was finally getting a good nights sleep after years of torture! Since I have lost a lot of weight (over 100lbs) my needs probably have changed ... it's good to have a machine where I can at least check. Since I'm an IT guy I know at some point I'll be checking and making changes to the machine. I'm so glad I found this site with so many others who are willing to share information! And wow .. travelling will be soo much easier!! The only drawback is my wife, she loved the noisy sound of the brick .. says it helped her sleep, go figure