Philips System 1 pro or ResMed Escape

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bigron452

Re: Philips System 1 pro or ResMed Escape

Post by Bigron452 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:05 pm

If the old one is manual, all the fancy features on an S9 or PR machine can be switched off to give you pure, dumb, straight pressure, if any of the bells and whistles bother you. I think it's unlikely to be a problem other than a short adjustment period anyway.

My old machine is straight pressure, no bells, no whistles. It did allow for a humidifier to be attached, but it really only made my throat dry during the change of seasons so I never bothered to purchase one. I've done more homework, my Insurance company will pay 90% per month for 11 months (I pay the 10% each month) then I own the machine. Since my deductilble kicks in at the beginning of the year .. I would have to cover that, but it's small and I'll have to pay it anyway. There is no ceiling on price according to insurer, machines average around 2-3K. Anyone have any pricing? My insurer did send me a list of medical suppliers, so I will have to do the leg work to make sure I find the machine I want. I know price will vary but vendors should tell me their price, right? Since I am paying for this as well.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Just don't let that DME try to pull the wool over your eyes. Be firm and stand up for what you want or go somewhere else where they'll give you what you want. If you go in with all your ducks in a row you'll be all right. Wecome to the forum.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Bigron452 wrote: I know price will vary but vendors should tell me their price, right? Since I am paying for this as well.
Well sort of...there are 2 prices...the over inflated price that gets initially billed and the final "allowable" amount that the insurance company pays their payments from. Your cost is based on the allowable amount and not necessarily the billed amount. DMEs may not be able to tell you the allowable amount because it will vary between insurance companies and plans.
Well they could tell you but it would mean some advanced work on their part to find out the allowable amount.
Your insurance company should be able to tell you though.

Some DMEs might even bill out the allowable amount to start with but most do not. Typically they bill out a hugely inflated starting amount and write off the excess between whatever is actually allowed and the billed amount. Makes it look like someone is giving you a great deal but it works the same for every insurance company.

BTW I have had a chance to use both the Respironics and ResMed brands. Minor pros and cons to either machine but both are excellent machines and I just imagine that you would be quite happy with either brand. Especially coming from a basic no frills machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks Pugsy,

I guess that's why the say it's a 2-3K price, but I see the same machine online for $900. So I'l liable for 10% of the price that my insurance company pays, not the over inflated price that they will state. I plan on checking out a few companies. I've read good reviews on the PR System 1 pro, but folks here are telling me to talke a look at the PR S1 auto. I know it's worth a look. ResMed basic has been good .. but I sorely need an upgrade. Thanks everyone!!

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Be SURE the DME is "in network" for your insurance. Otherwise you may get stuck with the over-inflated price.

On insurance, they usually can't charge you more for a good CPAP than a bad one, so they try really hard to trick you into the cheap one.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 am

By the way, Philips Respironics is switching from Series One (PRS1) to Series 60 (PRS60) CPAPs. You may end up with a Series 60 once the old stock is used up. Series 60 has a heated hose. One disadvantage is that the free SleepyHead software we all like to use doesn't work with Series 60 hardware yet, and the author isn't working on the software for updates right now.
Insurance has approved .. and they have the Philips S1 Pro or S9 Escape available. The Philips seems to be the logical choice here. I was told that the autoset would have to be perscribed? Not sure if it's true or not, but I've been using continous pressure for 8 years already and don't forsee any issues. The Philips mask - Comfort Gel - is my only concern, If I could stick with my old ResMed Ultra Mirage ll that would be great. I'll meet with the rep tomorrow .. Thanks everyone!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:06 am

You can sure use your ResMed mask with the PR S1 Pro. There is no problem with the mingling of brands if that is your concern. That mask resistance setting in the PR S1 machines is not a critical issue at all. You can use any mask you want with it. For non Respironics masks they suggest the Resistance setting be set to 0 which essentially turns that feature off.

I have heard that they now have a PR S1 Pro 60 series...haven't seen one except on another online supplier offering it for sale so they are probably out there. If you get one of those let me know and I will get you the software that works with the 60 series machine.

Check to make sure that they aren't trying to give you a PR S1 Plus...which is comparable to the ResMed Escape as far as data.
Sometimes hard to tell with the names on the machines. When in doubt...turn it over and look for model number.
The Pro will have DS or similar lettering and model 450 (might be 460 if the new 60 series machine)
All the Plus machines have model numbers 250 or less.
There are no 300 series machines that I am aware of.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

hton

Post by hton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:22 am

I happen to have read something about Philips and Poland

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:36 am

Pugsy wrote:When in doubt...turn it over and look for model number.
It's worth pointing out to remove the water tank before turning it over.

Most of the PRS machines say "Plus, Pro, AutoIQ, or Auto" in text right next to the display. The "dumber than dumb" DS150 may not say anything useful.

ResMed S9 machines are labeled near the power button.

FOr some reason, lots of people have a hard time finding these model names on their machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 am

Check to make sure that they aren't trying to give you a PR S1 Plus - Most of the PRS machines say "Plus, Pro, AutoIQ, or Auto" in text right next to the display.

Thanks for making we aware of this!! .. I will most certainly check the model number and I'm hoping it will be listed on the box as well. If not, I'll open it up and take a look!! I'm assuming they all use the same humdifier??

Also .. good to know about the masks .. I've been using the same mask for years and I'm very comfortable with the ResMed!

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 pm

One more question, should I stay away from the AutoIQ model as well? I've seen Pro on line as "Respironics System One REMstar Pro CPAP w/ AutoIQ" I'm looking for just the System One Pro .. correct?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Actually the Auto IQ is a Pro with limited auto adjusting pressures. Meaning it allows for only 30 days using the APAP features...so sort of a part time APAP. As with a lot of stuff around here...there are ways of working around some potential problems. There is a way to reset that 30 days so that you can get another 30 days...and another and another..essentially making it a full time APAP if that is desired.

Would not be advisable to do it until DME and any insurance compliance requirements are out of the picture though.
It involves resetting the entire machine therapy sessions to zero...like starting all over and that means any prior compliance data gets erased.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Both of the major companies play some fancy naming games--just to check if we're paying attention.

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Pugsy wrote:Actually the Auto IQ is a Pro with limited auto adjusting pressures. Meaning it allows for only 30 days using the APAP features...so sort of a part time APAP.
The Auto IQ acts as kind of a self titration. Sleep with AutoIQ on for a few days and it acts as an autopap but after a week it will then go into autocheck mode which means it will set your pressure at the pressure that you were at for 90% of the AutoIQ period. After that it will check periodically to see if that is correct pressure, hence, autocheck. It will stay in autocheck indefinitely until you change it. If you want to retest, you can use another week of your 30 allotted days of AutoIQ.

Nobody told me this and it's not in the manual. I read about it in the description on cpap.com.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:24 pm

tigrpal wrote: The Auto IQ acts as kind of a self titration. Sleep with AutoIQ on for a few days and it acts as an autopap but after a week it will then go into autocheck mode which means it will set your pressure at the pressure that you were at for 90% of the AutoIQ period. After that it will check periodically to see if that is correct pressure, hence, autocheck. It will stay in autocheck indefinitely until you change it. If you want to retest, you can use another week of your 30 allotted days of AutoIQ.

Nobody told me this and it's not in the manual. I read about it in the description on cpap.com.
Yes, and once you use up all your weeks or days of "auto"...one can go into the therapy setup portion of the menu and reset everything to zero...and start all over with another 30 days. It does erase prior therapy data accumulation though. Machine hours are not changed..they cannot be changed but therapy hours have always been able to be reset on the Respironics machines. This let's people use a machine that has been used by someone else and not get the data mixed up.

So obviously not something one would do if still needing to satisfy insurance requirements or DME is checking on.
But a way to get auto adjusting capabilities longer than a total of 30 days.