Newbie here, with a whistling hose!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fourkatz

Newbie here, with a whistling hose!!

Post by fourkatz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 am

Hi all! I'm a newbie - started using CPAP 1st of this year. Have been very lucky, and slept through the night since day 1. However, the past few weeks, I've been hearing a whistling noise from my hose, which wakes me up. It's not the vent noise - I'm familiar with that, and it doesn't bother me. Sleep with a fan going to circulate the air and create a white noise.
I've checked all connections, and replaced the hose with a new one two weeks ago - but the whistling continues. I know it's related to the hose, because when I move it around, the noise stops in certain postions. I just can't find a way to make the noise stop, without holding the hose in some weird place.
My machine is next to my bed, and I loop the hose around the headboard, and hang it over the headboard by my pillow.
I've browsed these forums for noise issues, but haven't found anything about a whistling noise like I have.
Would appreciate any and all suggestions. My hose is naked - do you think a hose cover would help?
Thank you!

Scobar

Re: Newbie here, with a whistling hose!!

Post by Scobar » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:27 am

Are you qualified for a replacement hose?

fourkatz

Post by fourkatz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 am

No, I just received a new hose about two weeks ago - same whistling problem. Could it be a bad hose that should be replaced?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Just dab a bit of olive or veg oil on the swivel, swivel it around a few times and the noise will stop....wipe the excess oil off and your good to go.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

fourkatz

Post by fourkatz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks, Nan! I'll give that a try tonight and see if it resolves the issue for me.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Why are you wrapping the hose around the headboard. I just let the hose drop
on floor between the machine which placed on a night table on the right of me and the bed?
By wrapping the hose around the headboard you create an acoustic speaker effect
whereby the noise of the air flowing inside the hose is magnified. I think.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

fourkatz

Post by fourkatz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:48 pm

If I leave the hose on the floor, I will very likely trip on it (Ms. Graceful). Also, I have several cats who might be tempted to play with that thing that looks like a snake. The hose is not wrapped tight, it's just draped around the back, and over the headboard. I had no problem till a few weeks ago.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:09 pm

fourkatz wrote:Also, I have several cats who might be tempted to play with that thing that looks like a snake.
Could that be your problem? Or do you have water (or some other debris) inside the hose? You are sure it is NOT the mask exhaust because?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Dennis de NorthWet

Post by Dennis de NorthWet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 pm

avi123 wrote:Why are you wrapping the hose around the headboard. I just let the hose drop
on floor between the machine which placed on a night table on the right of me and the bed?
By wrapping the hose around the headboard you create an acoustic speaker effect
whereby the noise of the air flowing inside the hose is magnified. I think.
avit123,
I also drape (wrap?) the hose over the head board, with a clip on lamp on the machine side edge to keep the hose from sliding off. When I get up to pee I move the hose over the lamp. However, there is no music for me with this.

My machine, the S9, has the hose exiting from the rear of the humidifier. The along the wall and over the headboard path keeps the hose from having any sharp kinks and keeps the hose off my chest and out of the way of my arms, etc. The swivel on my mask then rotates around so the hose is over my forehead, again eliminating any kinks or sharp radius hose turns and possible leverage on my mask seal. My only issues with this is that the mask exhaust air can then blow on a hand or arm. Not a big deal however, and the routing works well without having to buy or fab up any other kind of hose guide/support.

The hose supports I've seen advertised seem to be designed to fit either between wall and bed, or come in from the side,
and would have the same routing function either way. I needed a lamp to read with in that the one I had would not fit on my bed-stand after the addition of the c-pap machine, so this as a two-fer.

Across the floor works too of course, that's the way it was during my titration, and that was not a big hassle either.
Like a lot of things, a matter of taste and convenience.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis de NorthWet

Post by Dennis de NorthWet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:39 pm

nanwilson wrote:Just dab a bit of olive or veg oil on the swivel, swivel it around a few times and the noise will stop....wipe the excess oil off and your good to go.
A slight air leak in a swivel could indeed cause the whistle. Partially sealing the joint with something may well be the easy and best long term solution to hoses with slightly leaky swivels. However, with cleanliness, odor and bug growth as concerning issues, using the above compounds might not be the best option. I would suggest a dab of food grade silicone grease. This stuff can be obtained in small quantities (1 to 2 oz.)at most hardware stores or SCUBA shops. In SCUBA it's used primarily on ... ta-da... the breathing apparatus or "regulators". Just ask. Dive store folks always appreciate a visit from a customer that is not a diver.

Food grade silicone grease is non-toxic, odorless, does not support bug life and is not easily removed by water or even soap. Usually has to be wiped off followed by some serious scrubbing. For the hose joint issues, it would seem the perfect solution, and would not have to be reapplied every time you wash out the hose. Would likely seal better as well. Make sure you get silicone grease, not silicone oil. If there are grease choices get the thicker, preferably not "Zip-Slip".

On the other hand, if you're into aroma therapy, try the olive oil with a little terregon and garlic or perhaps lavender and camomile for a less savory odor.....

Regards,
Dennis
(retired SCUBA Instructor)

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Dennis, how about some Bee's wax?

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 pm

fourkatz wrote:If I leave the hose on the floor, I will very likely trip on it (Ms. Graceful). Also, I have several cats who might be tempted to play with that thing that looks like a snake. The hose is not wrapped tight, it's just draped around the back, and over the headboard. I had no problem till a few weeks ago.
My hose whistled because my cat had walked over it with her claws out to keep her from sliding off.
I now have a fleece hose cover to prevent such incidents.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Dennis de NorthWet

Post by Dennis de NorthWet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 pm

avi123 wrote:Dennis, how about some Bee's wax?

But seriously, beeswax would likely be better than olive oil as far as bug growth and odor, but it's not going to fill in or stay in the gaps of a hose swivel as well as a grease would, It might also tend to flake and perhaps work into the tube to be inhaled.

Silicone grease rules!

IMHO,
Dennis

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Dennis de NorthWet wrote:
avi123 wrote:Dennis, how about some Bee's wax?
But seriously, beeswax would likely be better than olive oil as far as bug growth and odor, but it's not going to fill in or stay in the gaps of a hose swivel as well as a grease would, It might also tend to flake and perhaps work into the tube to be inhaled.

Silicone grease rules!

IMHO,
Dennis
Lansinoh rules after you get out of the water

Plus everyone here on cpap should have some at their bedside.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:22 pm

I vote for Lansinoh.
No sheep are harmed, and any excess can be applied to elbows or heels--ta-daa!