Aloha Mask Arrived!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Emilia

Aloha Mask Arrived!

Post by Emilia » Tue May 29, 2012 1:26 pm

After reading so many anecdotal reports from forum members on this mask, I decided to order one. It arrived today, and I just set it up and tried it out for a couple of minutes with my Intellipap. Seems very comfortable and very light weight. So similar to my Swift LT for Her.... but I will be interested to see how a full night goes. I'll report on it tomorrow!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

neverbetter

Re: Aloha Mask Arrived!

Post by neverbetter » Tue May 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Pretty good chance you won't even need the Lanolin ointments people use with their pillows. Remember this mask doesn't need to be tight at all. Don't be surprised if the adjustment moves a little up or down during the night. I also sewed the velcro to secure the hose over my head, but that's just something I like to do. Quietest mask I've ever used. Love to hear your review.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

I used the Swift LT until the Swift FX was released and I also thought it reminded me of the Swift LT but improved.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14 am

Four nights down, and I do like this mask. Not 100% sure I like it better than my Swift LT for Her, but it is very close! First night I had a few leaks and adjustments, but the AHI was 2.0. Second night was a bit better with AHI of 2.0 again. Third night, I made an adjustment to the bands and looseness.... AHI 1.0! Last night....super comfortable all night. AHI 0.5!!!!! I'd say it is quite effective and comfortable. I usually get very low AHI's in the 0.3 to 1.5 range with my LT so if this mask can do the same consistently, it will be a winner for me, too!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Papit

Post by Papit » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:28 am

Emilia wrote:Four nights down, and I do like this mask. Not 100% sure I like it better than my Swift LT for Her, but it is very close! First night I had a few leaks and adjustments, but the AHI was 2.0. Second night was a bit better with AHI of 2.0 again. Third night, I made an adjustment to the bands and looseness.... AHI 1.0! Last night....super comfortable all night. AHI 0.5!!!!! I'd say it is quite effective and comfortable. I usually get very low AHI's in the 0.3 to 1.5 range with my LT so if this mask can do the same consistently, it will be a winner for me, too!
Ditto here. AHI is about the same, but happily my centrals are lower. What have you done that most effectively reduced the Aloha leaks to equal to or lower than the Swift LT? Btw, do the LT pillows have a double liner in them like the Swift FX? That second liner is there for a purpose I would think. It may help reduce the leak. Don't really know yet, but my Swift FX gives me better seal than the Aloha pillows do. Will be interested in seeing your best average 4-day leak results for the Aloha and what they were when you used the Swift LT.

--thanks.

Papit

Post by Papit » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 am

Pugsy wrote:I used the Swift LT until the Swift FX was released and I also thought it reminded me of the Swift LT but improved.
I think you've had your Aloha for a few weeks now. What have been your best 4-day average 95% leak figures for the Aloha and what were your 4 best with the FX and with the LT? Should be interested into compare those data sets.

Am I correct in assuming that you're getting about the same OAI and CAI numbers on all three masks on a best 4-day average period or just generally?
--thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:15 am

Papit wrote: I think you've had your Aloha for a few weeks now. What have been your best 4-day average 95% leak figures for the Aloha and what were your 4 best with the FX and with the LT? Should be interested into compare those data sets.

Am I correct in assuming that you're getting about the same OAI and CAI numbers on all three masks on a best 4-day average period or just generally?
--thanks
I used the Aloha for about 5 weeks and last week or so I have gone back to the Swift FX.
I can't tell any huge difference with leak numbers or AHI with either mask.
I have not used the Swift LT in 2 years. I dropped it when the Swift FX came out.
The software for when I was using the Swift LT is broken so cannot access those reports.
I might be able to look at a few of my old reports here on the forum to get an idea about my leak rate with the LT.
It would be a 90 % number though...Respironics machine back then and total leak not excess leak.
So not really a good comparison. But pretty much most of my old reports looked a lot like the ones I see now.
Most of the night leaks are quite acceptable but may have a short term little cluster of leaks.

I rarely have centrals unless I have a really restless night from back pain...Almost everyone of any centrals I might get flagged can probably get explained away as an awake artifact.
My AHI is often under 1.0 rarely ever over 2.0. It has been this way for nearly 3 years.

My best 95 % leak number was 2.80 and that was with the Swift FX and the best with the Aloha last month was 4.40 I think.
but most of my 95% numbers for both masks fall in around 12 to 15 L/min because they are elevated due to a cluster of leaks.

Below are a couple of my reports. Mar 1 was with the Swift FX and May 2 was with the Aloha....95% numbers 10 and 15 but if you look at the reports the leak was minimal for the bulk of the night. This is why I don't like to base anything on 95 % numbers...Numbers are too easily elevated and the numbers make things look worse than they are.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi Emilia.

I hope the Aloha words out for you. I was "really" trying hard to make it work. Someone on the forum had suggest that I put it way for a while. I did. When I brought it, somehow things fell right into place. The last 3 nights of use has been 2.22, 1.52 & 1.13 AHI. I guess that should be considered not too bad Consider me a strange bird, I like to trade off every couple of nights between the Aloha and Swift FX for Her.

Starlette

~jimnsc

Post by ~jimnsc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:18 am

Hey, Emilia. Glad you're having success with the Aloha. I know you have probably already noticed but the band that crosses the top of your head can be changed to another slot. Moving it tightened it up for me and I didn't much care for that position with this old head but everyone is different. The nicest thing is - I now have two 'workable' pillows interfaces - the LT and the Aloha. At the rate I was buying masks I figure I've already saved several hundred $ since getting the Aloha. I'm no longer in the shopping mode. Take care.

Jim
Each new day is a gift - open it.