An Idea for full face masks that won't stay sealed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Peter

An Idea for full face masks that won't stay sealed

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Try a 1 or 2 inch ace bandage wrapped around the mask and your head, or go to your local fabrics store and get some velcro and a piece of comfortable material. Put your mask on. Take two pieces of 2" duct tape, about 6-8" long and put them somewhere on either side of the mask. Pull the ends of the duct tape towards the back of your head as if you were going to fasten them together. See if that helps seal the mask better. If not, try a different place on the mask, and repeat the process. Once you have determined the best location for the duct tape, glue or use double-stick tape to adhere a couple of the velcro patches to the mask. Then cut out a piece of material to basically make your own head gear, and attach glue or sew the other velcro patches to the ends of the head gear, and attach them to the mask. Remember that your supplemental head gear will stay in place better on the back of your head if it is 3-5" wide at that point, tapering as it gets closer to the mask. Now, please let me know if this works, as I haven't even tried it yet. The idea just came to me when I read about people having air leaks, as I do myself. Well, off to the fabric store. Also, who do I know that can sew...???

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:28 pm

What mask is this for ? Johnny Goodman may want to forward this suggestion to the manufacturer. They ask him for suggestion of how to improve products from time to time. This isnt a F&P HC431A by chance. You forgot to include an old pair of socks in the inlet to reduce noise and deflect the air from your mouth. What brand of duct tape do you use ?

Just buy yourself a Resmed mask.

Irving

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Irving,

I'm sorry, I sense a bit of anger and sarcasm in your post. I was honestly being sincere and honest and had NO IDEA there was something out there called a Resmed mask. I'll check into that. I wasn't trying to pull anything or whatever you may think I was doing. Sorry to have upset you.

Peter

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:18 pm

Hi Peter,

Don't worry about upsetting Irving. Being new to the forum you are unaware that Irving always sounds that way. It just comes from his frustration with bad equipment. He is really a caring and concerned individual with a sarcastic sense of humor that can be of the map. He probaly enjoyed getting ticked off at your suggestion.

You are to be congratulated on your resourcefulness. The name of the cpap game is make what you've got work until you find something better. The suggestion of the Resmed mask is just Irving's own personal way to find you something better. The masks made by Resmed, for many people, seem to work better than most other masks. Click on the links below to see them.

Ultra Mirage Full Face
Mirage Series 2 Full Face
Mirage Activa
Mirage Swift
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Peter

Thanks to 'Wading thru the Muck.'

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:31 pm

Thank you for directing me to other masks. I was unaware there were many different choices, and I'll see about getting a better one than I've had. I've only had the nasal and full face mask given to me by my provider, and they do leave one wishing for something better. Thanks again.

As for this Irving...well...lets just say that I was a 'door mat' for many years till I stood up for myself one day, and...well...perhaps that's a story for another day.

Peter

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:36 pm

Hey Peter,

I see you are from a city named Milwaukie. I grew up in a city named Milwaukee. I never knew your city existed...wonder if the origin of the names have anything in common.

Are there two women living there named Lavern and Shirlie
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:44 pm

Hello Peter,

Sorry if I pulled your chain. Wasn't intended. Was just making a joke about a bad situation. Should have realized you lived in Oregon and wouldn't "get it"

My daughter lives in Beaverto.

Irving

Peter

Milwaukie and Milwaukee

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:10 pm

Dear Muckmaster dude,

(Sorry, it just sounds cool.)

Milwaukie is about 6 miles south of downtown Portland. Small town w/a population of 22,000. Milwaukie apparantly was the name of an Indian tribe that settled here in the early 1800's, because of the Willamette (Will-A'-met) river that carried a lot of salmon and steel head. Beaver were plentiful, and they had unlimited forested areas and mountains to to hunt in. The winters were mild, and the summers were warm. It was only a 45-60 minute canoe ride on the Willamette to the much larger Columbia River (separates Oregon and Washington.) From there they could go east on horseback up the Columbia and into the scenic and unbelievably beautiful and resourse-plentiful Columbia Gorge to more fishing and hunting, or, go by canoe for a 2-4hr canoe ride to the Pacific Ocean. (Depending on how hard they wanted to paddle, considering it was all down-stream in a fast moving river.) At times they'd even build larger water-craft to take the horses with them, and ride back up the trail to Milwaukie from the Ocean. (That must've been a several-day ride.) But all along those routes were other tribes where they could rest and stay a day or so. They all helped each other, and made sure that canoes, horses, and wagons were available, no matter where they were on the trail. Sounds almost like a paradise to me. Then, we white men came along and screwed EVERYTHING up!!!

Peter

Peter

You're Forgiven

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:15 pm

Alright Irving,

Water under the bridge and all that jazz. What is it that I don't get because I live in Oregon? And, it's 'Beaverton,' not Beaverto. (Yeah, I know, ya prob'ly just didn't hit the 'n' key hard enough.'

Regards from a former door mat,

Peter

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:37 pm

Hello Peter,

If you've never lived in N.J or N.Y you wouldn't understand. Kind of say it while getting an elbow in the ribs. LOL.

You should know about water under the bridge. Got plenty of both in Portland area.

Irving

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:43 pm

Irving,

Yep. Eight bridges, rivers, galore. And...ouch!!!

Peter

53now

Post by 53now » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:59 pm

I see that Rested Gal bailed out of this conversation early enough to sit back and chuckle............

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:13 am

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:18 am

Gosh reading this thread makes me wonder why RESMED is so stubborn and is not quicker to come out with a full face mask like the Activa! Jeez, a moron could see the potential here. A full face octopus, what could be better?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:11 am

I agree, rock and roll.

I guess the mask designers at ResMed were instructed to direct their efforts toward chasing Breeze buyers in the popular nasal pillows area, thus working on developing the Swift last year. Far bigger market, I suppose, than FF mask wearers. Perhaps now they'll settle down and go back to work on a bigger octopus. I'll be first in line to buy a FF Activa if they ever do come out with one.