Recommended Temperature and Humidity for S9 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lali0020

Recommended Temperature and Humidity for S9 Autoset

Post by lali0020 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:49 am

Hello, I haven't posted in a while, but let me first say that I love this board because I can come here and almost always find a solution and feel connected to a community that understands. I chime in occasionally to try and help but not knowing a ton myself I wouldn't want to point anyone in the wrong direction. .

Anyways I curious what other users of the S9 autoset adjust their temp and humidity settings to. I have the climate control and was setting it at about 75 for a while but have had the greatest sleep at this point. Last night I try boosting it to the default 80 but really didn't sleep well last night and have a feeling it was due to that. I seem to do well with lower temp but humidity seems to be lacking. Does anyone have experience with adjusting the temperature and humidity separately. Does this just end up causing rainout? Also any recommendations on humidity levels? (Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach and actually need less) I tend to open my mouth in my sleep sometimes ( my girlfriend tells me, the only way I know is a dry throat in the morning), does more or less humidity improve this? ( there is no way I can do the chinstrap and I tried tape with little success) Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Recommended Temperature and Humidity for S9 Autoset

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 22, 2012 9:38 am

I use the Climateline hose and I set the temp and humidity independently. I prefer lots of humidity and I get it without any rainout. You just need to try it to see because a good bit of any rainout issue is based on ambient room temp or moisture that gets exhaled into the nasal pillow itself and condenses. Barrel Cozy from Padacheeks can help that moisture.
My settings may or may not work for you because where you live may have different bedroom temps and different ambient room humidity to start with.

Dry mouth usually indicates some amount of mouth breathing. Check your leak reports to see if there are any larger than wanted leaks. If they are there then you likely need a full face mask.
Increasing the humidity level when using a nasal interface mask (mouth not covered) isn't going to help the mouth dryness because it doesn't get the humidified air and even if did when people do a lot of mouth breathing the humidifier cannot keep up with the drying effect of mouth breathing. This is why we see full face mask users complaining of dry mouth also.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:23 pm

I use climate line set on auto. I use passover mode in the summer and in the winter 68-72 degrees on auto climate control.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

lali0020

Post by lali0020 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:34 pm

When you turn it off during the summer, is your home pretty humid or do you have low humidity from the Air conditioning? I think it would be too dry in my house. What made you try that instead of just setting it to a lower temperature?

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I live in the Carolina's on the coast..so yes its naturally humid here. Central AC in summer and Central Gas heat in the winter. My bedroom is the coldest room in the summer and the warmest in the winter. So I really do not need humidity in the summer but in the winter I do.

When on auto the climate line delivers 80 percent humidity and whatever temperature you set it at. I have never tried setting temp and humidity separate.

I have never had rainout when on auto. NEVER! lol On rare occasion I got a little rainout in the nasal pillows themselves. I got pad-a-cheek barrel cover for Swift LT, Swift Lx and for Golife for her. Never hand another problem with water in the nasal pillows since then.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 22, 2012 9:25 pm

I tried setting temperature and humidity separately, but I now prefer auto;
80 in the winter keeps my nose warm, and 72 in the warm months doesn't.
The amount of water I need depends on my little hygrometer sitting next to my machine.
We've been sleeping with the windows open lately, just enjoying the cool night air.
Tonight it's pegged in the center of the 'comfort zone'. --That won't last long.

lali0020

Post by lali0020 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 am

Tried the humidity and temperature separate (Manual) last night without much luck. I got a fair amount of rainout with the Temp set at 72, room temp at 68ish, and humidity at 5.0. I'm going to go back to auto at a lower temperature and see how that is as the temp was nice last night but the rainout was not so nice.