Using Provent

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pats

Using Provent

Post by pats » Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 am

There are several people in this community who are using, or trying to use, Provent. Although there are differences in motivation and situation, we have some common issues and experiences. I'm starting this thread to specifically focus on the practicalities of using Provent. Here are the sorts of issues that have been scattered around several threads and that I hope to get gathered together here:

How best to clean the skin to ensure Provent sticks.

Practicalities of putting on Provent, especially in unusual circumstances, such as backpack camping.

How to deal with dry mouth and mouth breathing.

How to deal with feeling difficulty breathing.

In general, any ideas or experiences that may help other Provent users.

SleepingUgly

Re: Using Provent

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon May 21, 2012 9:54 am

Great! I'll post my experiences here. I hope we receive notifications of new posts to this thread.

Hopefully those who want to debate the merits of Provent can comment in other threads and reserve this one for practical advice on how to use Provent.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

pats

Post by pats » Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 pm

As discussed in another thread, I can use APAP, so for me Provent is a less inconvenient alternative for travel, as well as a back-up.

I have not had any problems getting the Provent to stick. I use soap and water to wash the area, rinse, and dry with a towel.

I do use a Ruby chinstrap, because the first time I tried Provent, without it, I woke up part way through the night with a very dry mouth.

After about 5 nights on Provent, I can keep it on all night, though I typically wake several times during the night.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm

pats wrote:
After about 5 nights on Provent, I can keep it on all night, though I typically wake several times during the night.
Pats, I'm thinking about trying it for travel too. Are you saying it takes 5 nights to get used to it every time, or just the first time?

Seems it may not be much good for a few nights away from home if it takes 5 days to get settled in each time.

pats

Post by pats » Mon May 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Gerald? wrote:
pats wrote:
Pats, I'm thinking about trying it for travel too. Are you saying it takes 5 nights to get used to it every time, or just the first time?

Seems it may not be much good for a few nights away from home if it takes 5 days to get settled in each time.
I don't know yet, that is something I intend to find out. So far, I've used it for 5 nights total.

The first three nights I took it off part way through the night, and switched back to APAP. The ability to switch back during initial use is one advantage for people who want to use Provent for travel.

The last couple of times I used Provent I used it all night, but I've been alternating a night on Provent with a night on APAP. I want to stay used to APAP. As I get more used to Provent, I plan to drop home use gradually from using it alternate nights to using it once a week or so to make sure I stay used to it.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 am

OK, now I'm REALLY discouraged. Last night I was aware that I was puffing air out of my mouth using a chinstrap. I have this issue with CPAP as well, and with CPAP I use a chinstrap that also covers my mouth. For obvious reasons, I can't/won't do that with Provent.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

pats

Post by pats » Wed May 23, 2012 8:17 am

SleepingUgly wrote:OK, now I'm REALLY discouraged. Last night I was aware that I was puffing air out of my mouth using a chinstrap. I have this issue with CPAP as well, and with CPAP I use a chinstrap that also covers my mouth. For obvious reasons, I can't/won't do that with Provent.
I would not give up too quickly for this particular reason. Mouth breathing during the acclimatisation phase is apparently quite common. The instructions that came with my Provent even suggest keeping a glass of water at your bedside to sip if you wake up with a dry mouth.

user from Singapore

Post by user from Singapore » Wed May 23, 2012 8:29 am

Well that Provent stuff was totally new to me, I had to Google and find out what it was
Sounds quite interesting while traveling indeed (to tell you the truth, we must travel by air soon, my wife is worried that I might scare all passengers if I use my mask... I think they will be much more annoyed if I start snoring ).

But as I see here, sounds like some adjustment is required. May I know what is the cost and how easily one can get it? Maybe I should give it a try

Thanks

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 23, 2012 8:35 am

I don't know the cost or access to it in Singapore. Here it costs about $60 for a 30-day supply. You can't just fill the Rx at a drug store, but have to get it from a supplier, with a prescription from your doctor.

pats

Post by pats » Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 am

SleepingUgly wrote:I don't know the cost or access to it in Singapore. Here it costs about $60 for a 30-day supply. You can't just fill the Rx at a drug store, but have to get it from a supplier, with a prescription from your doctor.
Where is "here"?

In San Diego, California, I found a local pharmacy that stocks it, and they filled a prescription from my sleep doctor just like any other prescription.

pats

Post by pats » Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 am

user from Singapore wrote:Well that Provent stuff was totally new to me, I had to Google and find out what it was
Sounds quite interesting while traveling indeed (to tell you the truth, we must travel by air soon, my wife is worried that I might scare all passengers if I use my mask... I think they will be much more annoyed if I start snoring ).

But as I see here, sounds like some adjustment is required. May I know what is the cost and how easily one can get it? Maybe I should give it a try

Thanks
In the USA it is a prescription item, and in any case I would not have wanted to try it without getting my sleep doctor's advice first.

user from Singapore

Post by user from Singapore » Wed May 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks for the comments. I could not find if it is available here. I sent a mail to the doctor, hope he will reply

neurotony

Post by neurotony » Thu May 24, 2012 10:40 am

SleepingUgly wrote:OK, now I'm REALLY discouraged. Last night I was aware that I was puffing air out of my mouth using a chinstrap. I have this issue with CPAP as well, and with CPAP I use a chinstrap that also covers my mouth. For obvious reasons, I can't/won't do that with Provent.

SU, did you ever try using a humidifier? Your CPAP machine likely has this built-in, right? So you are used to humidified air when you sleep. It may help with the dry mouth.

Would wearing them before bed help to get used to them? For the first week, I had them on about an hour before bed and practiced breathing through them - though this is no replacement for sleeping with them. But it may have helped me to generally "accept" this foreign device to my body.

neurotony

Post by neurotony » Thu May 24, 2012 10:47 am

I've noticed my box of Provent says "Standard Resistance" and a circle with "SR" on the box. To me, this implies they have varying grades of resistance. Does anyone using Provent have a box that has anything other than SR?

SU, I'm wondering if you have a high resistance or may acclimate better starting with a low resistance. But I don't even know if grades of Provent are real things or a form of sorcery I'm wishing for.

I'm keeping my Provent journal on my original thread since Pats specified this thread was for usage tips, guidelines, etc... and I have a few of those when I get the time.
viewtopic/t77392/A-new-apnea-patients-j ... ovent.html

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu May 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Yes, I'm using a room humidifier. Mine are "standard resistance" too.