Service Dogs For Sleep Apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: Service Dogs For Sleep Apnea?

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Stormynights wrote:This is a silly question but where does a service dog go to poop on a cruise ship?

You hold them over the side of course, and squeeze them! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Jim you are way too funny.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:01 am

I remember a very old post here by a person who would take the mask off and turn off the machine at night. He/she ended up drilling a hole in the wall to the next room and running the hose through the hole so the machine was in the next room--couldn't turn it off that way!

Another person used a double length of hose to put the machine across the room so he/she couldn't turn it off easily.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am

Stormynights wrote:This is a silly question but where does a service dog go to poop on a cruise ship?
I do have a mobility assistance service dog. So I'll take a stab at answering this .. other than holding them over the side and squeezing them.

As with any Service Dog, you need to train them to handle situations such as needing to "go" on a cruise ship. You would introduce a pad and/or tray:

Service Dogs are (ideally) taught to "go" on command. I have done so with my dog. Just teaching him to go on a tray like that would be a fairly simple step. Then the solid waste could either be thrown away or flushed down a toilet.

By the way, as you might imagine teaching a dog to handle this type of task takes patience and persistence.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 am

JohnBFisher wrote:
I do have a mobility assistance service dog. So I'll take a stab at answering this .. other than holding them over the side and squeezing them.

As with any Service Dog, you need to train them to handle situations such as needing to "go" on a cruise ship. You would introduce a pad and/or tray:

Service Dogs are (ideally) taught to "go" on command. I have done so with my dog. Just teaching him to go on a tray like that would be a fairly simple step. Then the solid waste could either be thrown away or flushed down a toilet.

By the way, as you might imagine teaching a dog to handle this type of task takes patience and persistence.
Thank you for the explanation. I was beginning to worry about dogs on a cruise.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 am

Janknitz wrote:I remember a very old post here by a person who would take the mask off and turn off the machine at night. He/she ended up drilling a hole in the wall to the next room and running the hose through the hole so the machine was in the next room--couldn't turn it off that way!

Another person used a double length of hose to put the machine across the room so he/she couldn't turn it off easily.
The manufacturer's recommended hose length is 10 foot! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:23 am

Guilty pleasure confession. I love this kooky ass thread

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 am

I wish I could teach my cat to wake me up when I am sleeping without my cpap machine. I used to have a great nurse kitty who woke me up when I must have been having bad events. It took me awhile to figure out why he was messing with my face and would leave once i was awake. But I realized I was having fewer choking fits. Back then, I was still pretending I could get by without cpap. After Chase died, the number of choking fits escalated. I knew for sure that he was preventing them by waking me up.

Hmm, maybe my new kitten will be smarter. I think Quinn and Jay Jay just assume I am purring loudly. They are bot very sweet, but not very bright.

Anybody know how to teach a cat to wake up somebody when they are snoring?

Here's a photo of my kitten (taken 3 weeks ago at the age of 5 weeks). I don't get to bring him home until the first week of October. He is a Ragdoll and his pedigree has some pretty big cats in it. He is expected to be a very big boy when he matures.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:50 am

Zoo, what a gorgeous kitty, beautiful eyes

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 am

zoocrewphoto wrote: Here's a photo of my kitten (taken 3 weeks ago at the age of 5 weeks). I don't get to bring him home until the first week of October. He is a Ragdoll and his pedigree has some pretty big cats in it. He is expected to be a very big boy when he matures.
Ooooh, what a handsome little guy he is.
I was looking for a Ragdoll when my last kitty last Feb but couldn't find one around here...then I was thinking Maine Coon...nope, nothing around here
Then I found a Bengal that was local and needing to be rehomed due to conflict with the senior (older) cat in the household and I snatched her up real quick. I think she is going to be on the smaller side of the Bengals but it is too soon to tell for sure.
I was hoping for a monster big cat. Well...she may not reach monster size physically (just turned 1 yr old last month so still has some time to grow) but she sure has a monster attitude along with a monster voice. She actually screams at me sometimes when she is mad at me for some reason...like her canned food is late or I am outside and she wants me inside. I know when I am getting cussed out for sure.
She's sure got her bluff in on the dogs though. Sarge my little Pug...totally terrified of her. When she comes into the living room he has to hide behind my back.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 am

Pugsy wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote: Here's a photo of my kitten (taken 3 weeks ago at the age of 5 weeks). I don't get to bring him home until the first week of October. He is a Ragdoll and his pedigree has some pretty big cats in it. He is expected to be a very big boy when he matures.
Ooooh, what a handsome little guy he is.
I was looking for a Ragdoll when my last kitty last Feb but couldn't find one around here...then I was thinking Maine Coon...nope, nothing around here
Then I found a Bengal that was local and needing to be rehomed due to conflict with the senior (older) cat in the household and I snatched her up real quick. I think she is going to be on the smaller side of the Bengals but it is too soon to tell for sure.
I was hoping for a monster big cat. Well...she may not reach monster size physically (just turned 1 yr old last month so still has some time to grow) but she sure has a monster attitude along with a monster voice. She actually screams at me sometimes when she is mad at me for some reason...like her canned food is late or I am outside and she wants me inside. I know when I am getting cussed out for sure.
She's sure got her bluff in on the dogs though. Sarge my little Pug...totally terrified of her. When she comes into the living room he has to hide behind my back.
I grew up with siamese and then a Balinese. Both could really cuss. Quinn cusses on occasion, but hers is so mild. And unless she is freaking out (panicking at a cat show), she is very quiet. She squeaks. Her only meow is a silent one. When she really wants something, she does her silent meow.

My new kitten is coming from the same lady who I got 2 of my Ragdolls from. She is in very Southern California, and I am up in Seattle, WA. Fortunately, we were both already planning to go to a cat show in Las Vegas the first weekend of October. This show has a special Ragdoll show within the regular show, so there will be a lot of Ragdolls there. It is the perfect place to show my kitten for the first time as well as a great place to meet. Only 3 months to go

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

letchworth

Post by letchworth » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Gerald? wrote:Visions of large big cheeked bloodhound standing over you at night blowing in your mouth to act as a splint whenever you stop breathing. Just give him a mint before bed and Shazam! the ultimate APAP, BiPaP, humidifier and mask all-in-one!
Here I was, reading a serious thread----- then, poof!! I almost fell off the picnic bench--- three times!

Thanks for the visual-- I'm sure I will have nightmares tonight [but the good news is that before CPAP I didn't dream at all that I can remember--- at least now I can HAVE nightmares].
letchworth

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 am

Yes there service dogs out there for sleep apnea. And yes by law they have to let the dog where the owner is if it has the service dog vest on it can is allowed where the owner is. People don't realize a lot of these dogs save the owners life. I have a daughter 6 months old with sleep apnea who also is on a machimce but tends to old her breathe and stop breathing in her sleep and her machine don't always catch it. Dogs calm the owner sooths them and comfornts just like any dog would.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:26 am

Best wishes for you and your child.
Some service dogs are actually trained in prison, where both dogs and men learn compassion and self worth.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Guest wrote:Yes there service dogs out there for sleep apnea. And yes by law they have to let the dog where the owner is if it has the service dog vest on it can is allowed where the owner is. People don't realize a lot of these dogs save the owners life. I have a daughter 6 months old with sleep apnea who also is on a machimce but tends to old her breathe and stop breathing in her sleep and her machine don't always catch it. Dogs calm the owner sooths them and comfornts just like any dog would.
You need a better machine, not a service dog.
Dogs are not appropriate for sleep apnea.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal