Nasal pillow questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tree777

Nasal pillow questions

Post by tree777 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 am

I am trying the nasal pillow but it feels like my mouth is filling up with air. The other mask are to bulky, but seem to work better as far as the breathing . Need help.

LSAT

Re: Nasal pillow questions

Post by LSAT » Tue May 15, 2012 6:23 am

tree777 wrote:I am trying the nasal pillow but it feels like my mouth is filling up with air. The other mask are to bulky, but seem to work better as far as the breathing . Need help.

Since breathing is pretty important, I think you should try 'other' masks.

buntin

Post by buntin » Tue May 15, 2012 6:44 am

DO NOT GIVE UP, TRY AND SEE IF YOU CAN LOWER THR PRESSURE, THAT WORKED FOR ME WHEN i HAD THAT PROBLEM.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue May 15, 2012 6:47 am

I use a nasal pillow mask, Swift FX and I have learned to place my tongue to the roof of my mouth which does not allow the air to fill my mouth. Also, keep your jaw closed but do not clench your teeth, keep the jaw relaxed. It takes some getting use to, but your mouth will learn.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue May 15, 2012 6:53 am

buntin wrote:DO NOT GIVE UP, TRY AND SEE IF YOU CAN LOWER THR PRESSURE, THAT WORKED FOR ME WHEN i HAD THAT PROBLEM.

Do not and I repeat do not lower your pressure.....your pressure has been set to keep your airway splinted open and to keep the apneas fromm occurring. The mask is a BIG factor when starting out, I went through a dozen of them before I found the "right" one. Once you have your mask dialed in and your apneas are kept at bay, then you can see about lowering or upping your pressure. Please do not lower it willy nilly it has been set where it is at for a reason. The ONLY reason you lower or up your pressure is to keep you apneas down...not because of a mask.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

lazer

Post by lazer » Tue May 15, 2012 6:56 am

tree777 wrote:I am trying the nasal pillow but it feels like my mouth is filling up with air. The other mask are to bulky, but seem to work better as far as the breathing . Need help.
What size pillow are you using? Does it feel difficult to exhale and if so, try going up a size. That worked for me. I know I first started with a "Small" and not only did my mouth fill up with air (causing me to keep opening my mouth) but it felt like I had to fight too hard to breath out/exhale and going from a "Small" to a "Medium" did the trick. Good luck

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Tue May 15, 2012 6:57 am

Tigger wrote:I use a nasal pillow mask, Swift FX and I have learned to place my tongue to the roof of my mouth which does not allow the air to fill my mouth. Also, keep your jaw closed but do not clench your teeth, keep the jaw relaxed. It takes some getting use to, but your mouth will learn.
Yes, I agree with Tigger. I needed the help of a chin strap and have quickly adapted to the tongue placement thing. Something else I do is once I have my tongue in the correct position, do like the beginning of a swallow as if you are trying to suck the saliva out of your mouth. It seems to create a suction that helps keep everything in position. Seems like everything has a learning curve!

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 15, 2012 7:21 am

Mouth fills up with air and causes cheeks to inflate and then no where for the air to go except out the mouth???
If so that is what we call chipmunk cheeks and happens because air goes up the nose and instead of proceeding down the airway as it should it tries to exit prematurely through the mouth. Tongue placement to make the tongue act like a door or barrier is needed to prevent the air from entering the mouth. Easy to do while awake but when asleep the tongue doesn't always stay in position as it needs to. If you can't get it mastered then a full face mask allowing for the mouth to open without loss of therapy pressure is needed.

Some people have opted to try using a chin strap to help keep the cheeks from inflating and tape to prevent loss of therapy pressure out the mouth if their tongue can't/won't stay in place.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

motherocean1

Post by motherocean1 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:38 am

Two friends and I started using the nasal pillows in Feb/March. We had the same problem with our mouths opening. Used the chin strap for 4 or 5 days and then stopped. Each of us now have no problem with the "open mouth".

tree777

Post by tree777 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am

Thank you all so much. Alot of great things for me to try. I really appreciate all your help as this is so frustrating and it really helps to ask people who may be going through the same thing.
Theresa

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat May 19, 2012 11:17 am

Ruby chinstrap solved the problem for me.

Slips on over my head before the nasal pillows.

If you consider it, I recommend the (sized) non-adjustable model, after having tried both.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx