Can you Cheat a spleep apenia test?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
G2H

Can you Cheat a spleep apenia test?

Post by G2H » Thu May 10, 2012 2:16 am

Hi, I'm trying to fake that I DO, yes that I DO have sleep apenia.... I'm trying to get the lap band paid for with my insurance, and the only way that will happen is if I have sleep apenia, since apparently my weight alone isn't high enough...
I would LOVE to know if there is a way to be able to fake the test...
pleaes advise, ANYONE that can give me a serious answer..
thanks

Julie

Re: Can you Cheat a spleep apenia test?

Post by Julie » Thu May 10, 2012 5:20 am

No you can't cheat - you'll be asleep and that will be verifiable with the equipment they use.

Plus trying to rip off the system because you apparently don't want to diet and exercise like the rest of us do is not very admirable, so I doubt if you'll get that much help here.

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Thu May 10, 2012 6:32 am

Feedest ye notte yon trolle

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 am

G2H wrote:Hi, I'm trying to fake that I DO, yes that I DO have sleep apenia.... I'm trying to get the lap band paid for with my insurance, and the only way that will happen is if I have sleep apenia, since apparently my weight alone isn't high enough...
I would LOVE to know if there is a way to be able to fake the test...
pleaes advise, ANYONE that can give me a serious answer..
thanks

Yup, you can cheat the test - just hold your breath for - oh say - 15 minutes - that should do it.

smurfyabs

Post by smurfyabs » Thu May 10, 2012 10:18 am

They will be able to tell when you are actually asleep and just faking.

Don't fake or wish for medical problems you don't have. If you're not eligible for lap band, it's probably because you don't need it. And if you think lap band is an easy way out, you are so, so wrong. Lap band is NOT easy. My mother in law has the lap band and it's been like forced bulimia for her. She throws up everything she eats because it gets stuck. While she did lose weight, she didn't reach her goal weight because despite what you may think, you still have to exercise. Your stomach can only get so small, you can only limit your calories so much without starving yourself. Any additional weight loss has to be from proper nutrition and exercise. All the lap band does is force you to diet. Research the lap band diet and follow it. You'll have the same results.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 am

As has been said, the answer is no. However, if you have any symptoms at all of sleep apnea, since such a large percentage of the population does have sleep apnea and you do have at least one risk factor that you've mentioned (weight), you may get a diagnosis that could inadvertently help you with your weight loss goals without surgery. If you do get tested, staying on your back will increase the liklihood of an existing problem revealing itself during the study. For some, sleep apnea can cause hormonal and metabolic changes that contribute to weight gain. A person who actually does have sleep apnea as well as other medical factors and predispositions going on can struggle with weight in ways that those without these issues can't fully understand.

I can't fault anyone for desiring to lose weight - it's just plain better for us. I just know that a general mindset of seeing what one can get by with is not one that will make weight loss surgery the answer. I have known people who have had both the gastric bypass and the lap band. Those who followed the rules reached their goals. Those who were always looking for small ways to get around the restrictions have not succeeded in their weight loss efforts. Be very honest with yourself about who you are and/or if you're ready before considering a weight loss surgery.

Also, consider the ramifications of a diagnosis of sleep apnea, which vary depending on where you are. It can bring on driving restrictions, alter insurability, and even affect employability. For the person who has sleep apnea, these things are just a part of the package. For the one who does not, getting a false diagnosis fraudulently can break more than it fixes. Best wishes on improving your health.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 am

I agree most heartily with kteague.
I welcomed my diagnosis, as this was a NON-SURGICAL way to help me attain better health--and it has worked.
But I still have to work on it.
There are no short cuts--only dead ends.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2H

Post by G2H » Thu May 10, 2012 2:42 pm

thanks to those who replied sincerely..
I have tried DESPERATLY to lose weight and diet, however because I shattered my ankle when I was 14, now almost 20 years later, I can only do abut 15-20 mins of cardio and thats it before it starts to hurt, BADLY.. I've walked out of the gym litterly limping, but then I can hardly walk for 2-3 days...
SOOOOOOO i watch what I eat, I go to the gym 3 times a WEEK, and I just can't lose anymore!
so its not that I'm NOT doing my part, TRUST ME I AM!!! but physically I can't do much more, unless I strave myself, which I know is NOT healthy...
so have MANY years of struggle, I thought this would be my last resort!

morfenmom

Post by morfenmom » Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Just FYI - what you are proposing is not only immoral, it is illegal. Folks who cheat the system are part of the reason why the system is so expensive for the rest of us.

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Thu May 10, 2012 2:57 pm

G2H wrote:thanks to those who replied sincerely..
I have tried DESPERATLY to lose weight and diet, however because I shattered my ankle when I was 14, now almost 20 years later, I can only do abut 15-20 mins of cardio and thats it before it starts to hurt, BADLY.. I've walked out of the gym litterly limping, but then I can hardly walk for 2-3 days...
SOOOOOOO i watch what I eat, I go to the gym 3 times a WEEK, and I just can't lose anymore!
so its not that I'm NOT doing my part, TRUST ME I AM!!! but physically I can't do much more, unless I strave myself, which I know is NOT healthy...
Please, please consider HAES (Health at Every Size) before you undergo dangerous surgery that doesn't actually have a long-term "success" rate anyway. Permanently changing your body size is impossible for 95%+ of humans. But changing your health is not impossible. You can be fat *and* fit. Please see here for more information: http://www.haescommunity.org/

/soapbox

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Sorry to hear of your shattered ankle. What cardio are you trying to do? Can you swim/learn to swim? That would give you no stress on your ankle ... The other alternative would be to ride a stationary bike. However, I suggest you do a search on Google for Al Sears PACE high intensity exercise program - you can do that in less than 20 minutes, and he has some excellent suggestions for alternative cardio workouts. I am sure that it is better than the consequences of trying to cheat the system. As has been said, with all the willpower in the world you are not going to be able to mimic all the aspects of sleep apnea while you are sleeping. The technicians have ways of finding out ...

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm

As everyone else has said - NO. As for the lap-band, make sure you check out all the options available; rou-en y, sleeve and the band, to figure out which one is best for you. All surgeries have their risks and benefits, you need one that is best for you. My wife is currently going through the process and there are some additional steps that you are probably going to have to do as well.

1. generally if your BMI is over 40 you qualify. If your BMI is between 35 and 39 you have to have 2 co-morbidities like High blood pressure, sleep apnea or diabetes.

2. You will need to participate in a 4-6 month physician supervised weight loss program, United Healthcare requires the 6 month program and you must loose at least 15 pounds. Basically if you can make it through the 6 month program, you will be able to make the changes in your life to make it stick. When choosing a barriatrics program make sure that it has the complete picture - getting to surgery, surgery, and follow up care after surgery. My wife is going through the Ohio State University program and they are great.

We are in the weight loss program right now and it is hard. I am going along with it as well as I have horrible triglycerides and part of the program is protein over carbs and carbs are both of our enemies right now.

As for exercise, I have had reconstruction surgery on my ankle about two months ago, so I know what pain an ankle can cause. We have been doing the exercise bike and water aerobics to minimize the stress on the joint. If you have issues with the ankle, maybe you should look into surgery on the ankle first. There are a lot of new procedures that can restore or improve function in a joint today. Except for some pain my ankle is great and gets a bit better each day.

Any of these programs are not a magic bullet, but an additional tool to help you loose weight and make the changes to your life to help keep the weight off. I have several friends who have had the surgery, one did gastric bypass and did great, one did a lap band and did ok, and another who did gastric bypass lost weight and gained it all back.

I wish you luck, but weight loss is not an easy thing, I have recently lost 5 pounds and it was the hardest thing I ever have done.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 pm

You need a physiotherapist to build a routine for you.
There is also swimming and exercise in water which they do with people with bad knees.
You need to look at low carb/High fat "diet" and consider removing wheat from your diet.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Thu May 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Get the wrong surgeon and you will not have to woory about your weight or sleep apnea.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/02 ... estigation

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu May 10, 2012 5:28 pm

G2H wrote:if there is a way to be able to fake the test...
Despite your word choice, I think I get your drift--you believe that it is in your best interests if the test finds you have OSA, so you want to increase the odds that it does. You don't want to be dishonest, but you are fighting fire with fire when the system is trying to stack the deck against you in your attempts to get what you believe you need. I think I get that.

In a sense, labs (but never "centers," of course ) themselves understand that and often force patients to sleep on their backs all night even if the patient rarely does so at home, since that often increases AHI. It makes sense to test for worst case scenario, so I don't condemn the practice. But, it can still be used as a form of stacking the deck, nevertheless.

Other things besides sleeping on one's back that tend to increase AHI are eating a heavy meal just before sleep, having a stuffed-up nose from allergies or a cold, a few days of being sleep-deprived in the nights before the test, being exhausted from overexertion late in the day, and even very tiny amounts of nerve-deadening medications such as Benadryl or alcohol floating around in the bloodstream.

Problem is, the above list is basically a pretty good recipe for dying in one's sleep if someone actually does suffer from severe OSA, so no one in his right mind would recommend doing any of those things in combination, or even one of them, just in case, especially for anyone who suffers from morbid obesity. One's life is much more important than any test, and I've heard that having to get CPR and a ride to the hospital with flashing lights is enough to put a real damper on the entire festive sleep-test experience that night.

So I vote for doing NONE of those things. Seriously. Don't. Cheaters never win. If you get caught, it could go on your permanent record and then you could never run for president. It's even worse than once having posted with two identities in this forum.