Can you Cheat a spleep apenia test?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jen4700

Re: Can you Cheat a spleep apenia test?

Post by jen4700 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:55 pm

How do you know you DON'T have sleep apnea?

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Thu May 10, 2012 10:02 pm

retrodave15 wrote:We are in the weight loss program right now and it is hard. I am going along with it as well as I have horrible triglycerides and part of the program is protein over carbs and carbs are both of our enemies right now.
Dave,

I am on the tail end of my program, 9 more pounds to go before I reach my target weight. I know how hard it is, but I also know that it is possible, and you can do it.

The thing with the surgery options are that you still have to do a very restrictive diet. The surgery itself is no cakewalk--there are a lot of risks. Given that, I decided to try the diet first to see if I could make it work. If I couldn't do the diet, then why bother with the pain and mess of the surgery? Turns out that the weight loss doctor was able to explain it in a language that I could understand...if I ate less than what I burned, I couldn't help but lose weight. That gives this lab rat two different variables to adjust to get to my goal.

-john-

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 10, 2012 11:20 pm

You are tempting fate, the sleep police will come and throw you in a cell, you will lose weight then. Jim

A XPAP Machine, blows no I'll Wind
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm going to risk some flames to say this but it is not necessary to exercise to lose weight. The popular notion is that if you expend more calories than you take in you will lose weight but that does not prove to be true. Some people Manage to become very obese despite heavy exercise and calorie expenditure and some very sedentary people remain quite thin while eating many more calories than they burn. I'm not saying that exercise isn't important, but it's not crucial to weightloss. So you can be successful despite your ankle problems given the right metabolic approach.

There is another thread here called "Good calories, bad calories" that you should read. Many of us have had success with a low carb, high fat approach. It is not necessary to starve yourself to lose weight. I've lost 45 pounds so and i dont have to limit calories or fat. I have butter on my vegetables, real cream in my coffee, and enjoy meat whole eggs, dark meat chicken WITH skin, full fat cheese, etc. I'll bet these are things you haven't had in years! My blood pressure is down my blood sugar is down, my cholesterol is great. It can be done and it works.

Many clinics have you follow a low carb diet after bariatric surgery anyway and that is probably a big reason why people's diabetes improves so much. So maybe you don't need the surgery, just the correct metabolic approach.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Linus

Post by Linus » Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 am

Alcohol will relax your airway and help it collapse enough to bring on lots of obstructive events. You could just go in for the test and be honest too. That is usually the best method.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri May 11, 2012 1:08 am

Linus wrote:Alcohol will relax your airway and help it collapse enough to bring on lots of obstructive events. You could just go in for the test and be honest too. That is usually the best method.

When I did my test, the paperwork clearly stated that I would not be allowed to do the sleep study if I have consumed any alcohol during the day. And I had to answer this question on the paperwork when the signed me in.

If they proceed with the test and determine that you consumed alcohol and lied about something, you may get stuck with the full cost of the sleep study. When I had mine done, the lady said they needed a minimum of 6 hours of sleep data, or the insurance would not pay for it, and it is $6,000. I don't know how accurate that price is. I will find out when I get my bill for the 15% that was not covered. But if they determine that you are trying to fake the test, they could easily refuse to pay for it and stick you with the bill.

As I understand it, in order to get these surgeries for weight loss, you have to prove your ability to follow the program by losing a specified amount of weight. If you are unable to do that, why bother with the process?

Also, the best exercise is walking. And yes, you can do that after shattering an ankle. My mom shattered her ankle about 20 years ago. She got a rod and 8 screws. She is 72 years old now, has neuromas in both feet, is legally handicapped, and still manages to take her dogs to the dog park, which involves a steep hill. She did fall recently, as she stepped into a hole. But there were several people there who helped her back up. You're a lot younger than her, and I bet you could walk an hour a day.

You can also do many exercises without standing. Get a weight bench and do strength training. That burns calories. It doesn't have to be all cardio.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

DreamLady

Post by DreamLady » Fri May 11, 2012 9:19 am

I debated long and hard with myself before posting on this, since weight is such a hot button topic. But assuming that someone with a shattered ankle can do cardio or walk simply because a relative did it, is painting with too broad a brush. Everyone's body heals differently; some heal betther and more completely than others. I also have physical problems and multiple injuries that preclude walking much for exercise. I didn't shatter my ankle, and it didn't even need pins or screws. I broke it in three places, but they were three very important places. A year after the cast was off, I went back to the ortho because I was still walking with a limp, and could not get my riding boots on and riding properly was very painful. My ortho kind of chuckled and said "My dear, you're very lucky to be walking at all. I'm afraid the limp may be permanent, but you should be able to ride again within another year." He was right. I still limp, and was eventually able to wear my boots and ride. But I've always had some serious pain in that ankle when I walk. In fact, three months into a walking program I ended up with plantar fasciitis in that foot as a result of the original fracture (I tore ligaments and tendons that never healed exactly right). Eventually, after several recurrences, that became chronic in spite of orthotics and corrective shoes.

Fast forward twenty years, and I now have arthritis in that ankle to the point that it's even more difficult to walk. Combined with degnerative disk disease (severe) of the spine, knee arthritis, and Multiple Sclerosis (causing serious balance and vision issues, profound fatigue and difficulty walking), I now can barely walk two blocks on a good day. I am able to maintain my current weight, but it takes constant vigilance considering that my genetics predisposes me to obesity in later life.

jlklinko

Post by jlklinko » Fri May 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Don't fake the test. They have too many electrodes on you to do it. The tech will know if you are awake or asleep and you can't fake apnea when you are asleep.

-tim

Post by -tim » Sat May 12, 2012 7:16 am

As a doctor told me, "if your over 40 and over weight, you will have some apneas".

You could borrow a machine, set it for a pressure of 4 (if you can breath that low) and it will tell you a number. If its more than 5, no need to fake anything.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed May 16, 2012 2:06 am

G2H wrote:Physically I can't do much more, unless I strave myself, which I know is NOT healthy.
You mean, eat little enough food that you lose weight? Heaven forbid.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed May 16, 2012 2:28 am

Somebody said I was wrong to say somebody could go walking because a relative did it. Well, if you saw my relative, you'd know why I said it. She's 72 years old, has NEUROMAS in both feet that hurt even when she sits down. Yet she can still walk (slowly) down a long hill to the dog park, and back up.

When my mom shattered her ankle 20 years ago, she couldn't use crutches because she was so out of shape and overweight that she could not hold her foot up off the ground. She was too weak. She was also too big for a standard wheel chair, so she could not use a wheel chair in the house. For a couple months, she lived in the living room and used a portable toilet that had to be emptied for her. It took months to heal, but she did get on her feet again.

She was legally handicapped BEFORE she shattered her ankle, due to the problems with her feet. She can NOT do cardio, at all.

This guy admits that he can do 15-20 minutes of cardio. So, he can walk, which is a LOT easier than cardio. So, skip the cardio and instead go walking for an hour. It will be easier on his ankle, and it will do the job.

Instead, he would rather cheat.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

OceanGoingGal

Post by OceanGoingGal » Wed May 16, 2012 3:13 am

When I read this post I was sickened by it. There are so many people who cannot even afford insurance because the price is too high. People who steal from the system are the cause of this. I know people who cannot afford to buy their meds or see the doctor for a checkup to renew scripts that have run out. I know a woman that goes for weeks at a time when her med scripts run out. She has sleep apnea and diabetes and high blood pressure. She has to save the money to see her doctor out of her Social Security when she SS check is barely enough to cover her rent and electric. She is not old enough for Medicare so she struggles along as best she can and prays a lot. She had to give up her job because the physical requirements were just too much for her. She has been unable to secure other work. Her life is tough at a time in life when she should be able to relax a little. So you want to steal from people that really need the services just to be thin and soothe your vanity?
There is a word for people like you...............SELFISH!

Laura

Ask Me About Girl Talk Cafe!

Snuffle-nose

Post by Snuffle-nose » Wed May 16, 2012 6:04 am

I did not cheat a sleep apenoa test,I found out I had found about having it at the most scary way, fell asleep trying cross a road and nearly walked into a stream of cars!!!! What a way to find out that I needed a sleep test pronto! They found I had moderate to severe sleep apeona so on the cpap I went on, plus at sleep center I found these frightening things, a] I was the youngest b]I wasn't obese and still got the blasted aliment!

Every time I went to my sleep Physician I always felt embarrassed as I was always the youngest there!!! Majority was middle aged or Elderly people! [Nothing against elderly people] But been so young to have this really freaks me out!!!!! The last thing I would wish on a person big or small is have put up with this with countless other medical quirks!

Be happy that you don't have sleep apeona......Been overweight /sleep apeonea makes your life hell as some suffers tell me!
Been on CPAP for a while.....I had moderate apenoa

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:21 am

Who try to cheat on a sleep study? It's like saying you can prevent yourself from passing gas in your sleep. It doesn't happen

Day_Dreamer

Post by Day_Dreamer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 am

OLD SORRY
Last edited by Day_Dreamer on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.