Mixing head gear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Elle

Mixing head gear

Post by Elle » Wed May 09, 2012 12:58 am

I love my Resmed Softgel cushion but hate the headgear. Do any of you mix and match your masks?

It looks to me like many of the straps with velcroe would work with a different brand but I have only ever used the Activa, Activa Lt and now the Softgel which all use the same headgear. I use a medium mask but the head straps are way too long top to bottom and I have to roll the bottom part up (which twists the clips). I recently bought the size small straps and the velcroe barely reaches from front to back but it is still way too long top to bottom. I don't know where Resmed measured heads to get this measurement. I can't imagine anyone having a head this long. I am so frustrated with it. Thanks.

cqfd93

Re: Mixing head gear

Post by cqfd93 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 am

Try shortening the too long parts of the straps with velcro.

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed May 09, 2012 2:29 am

I'm not very good at building things and I just thought that for the price my DME bills my insurer for this mask ($235.) you would think it would come ready made. For these prices they should be making sure we have something that we don't have to take home and reconstruct. I guess whining isn't getting me very far either though.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed May 09, 2012 7:25 am

Elle, if you are not crafty, just take a tuck in it and sew or glue it down. Sewing would be best, even if you just do it by hand. Just like sewing on a button, take a tuck, hold it down so it doesn't stick up, and stitch.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 am

I guess I will have to do that Nan. I have managed to sew on buttons (not much more). I have old straps that I will experiment on first. Thanks. I guess i was just frustrated in the middle of the night. It was one of those "tear off the mask and toss it" nights. Thanks again.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

No thanks needed Elle, my pleasure, if I were closer I'd do it for you . I've had a few of those nights lately too, but last night I think I've got it dialed in......fingers and toes crossed.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed May 09, 2012 3:17 pm

I just sewed the damn thing. Another reason I think Resmed is thinking we all have really long faces is the forehead brace (that should rest just above the eyebrows rests on the hairline and the lower part rests on the upper lip. It would be really nice to have a mask that sits in the right place. It is not just about sizing because I tried a small mask and it was way too small, I tried just the small headgear and it was just as long head to chin as the medium so it is the way they are constructed.

Maybe now that more people are being diagnosed there will be more options because people won't just 'settle'.

Anyway, again thank you for the input. I am hoping this new altered gear will do the trick.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 09, 2012 3:26 pm

I am so tempted to alter some of my headgear.
Those boneheads design them so that shortening the length is not at all intuitive.

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed May 09, 2012 3:32 pm

I just noticed a "Snugglegear 4 point headgear" at cpap.com that might be easier to alter. It might be a little less likely to ride up over the head too.

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Elle wrote:I'm not very good at building things and I just thought that for the price my DME bills my insurer for this mask ($235.) you would think it would come ready made. For these prices they should be making sure we have something that we don't have to take home and reconstruct. I guess whining isn't getting me very far either though.
I agree! Back in the early '90s there weren't many masks to choose from. My ex completely re-jiggered his headgear (he also did this with every tool he ever bought...)

I've been fiddling with my headgear a lot this week. With the TrueBlue I don't need the headgear very tight at all, but the forehead brace never seems to be in the right place. It pivot tilts. And when I line it up and tighten it where it "should" be then the nasal part doesn't sit in the right place. I was wondering last night if I needed a smaller headgear, but I'm not sure that's the answer. The forehead part has squishy gel pads so at least it doesn't hurt when it's at a weird angle. Except for very basic mask placement / stability I find the forehead bar to be sorta useless.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

I read the reviews on the snugglegear; some say it's not as stretchy as the OEM headgear.
It also looks a bit hot.