What's wrong with using tap water?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: What's wrong with using tap water?

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 03, 2012 11:23 am

A lot depends on how much you trust your local water supply--and supplier.
I believe testing is mandated, but some municipalities go above and beyond.

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Thu May 03, 2012 12:15 pm

I was traveling and forgot to bring distilled water. I tried tap water, but immediately had to stop because of the smell of chlorine. I didn't want that in my lungs all night. It was very strong and irritating.

I just dumped out the tap water and dried the reservoir. Then I was sure to turn off the heater on the humidifier. I slept relatively well without the water for that night. I headed to the store the next morning for distilled.

Catnapper - Joanie

Classic SleepCare

Post by Classic SleepCare » Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Gasp is 100% correct! Distilled water is cheap, easy to obtain, lasts a long time and will give you peace of mind knowing that you are not deliberately inhaling anything that may have slid into the water supply let alone the additives that treatment plants put into it. Added bonus, you won't have to descale your tank every week!
Ryan Clynch
Territory Manager- San Diego

Email: ryanc@classicsleepcare.com

Classic Sleepcare LLC
30851 Agoura Road Suite 202
Agoura Hills, CA 91301

Corporate Office: 888-707-2454
Toll free fax 888-249-3875
http://www.classicsleepcare.com

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 pm

The couple of times I used tap water - once at home and once out of town - I really noticed the difference. The tap water has a chemical smell - not so pleasant.

For the cost of distilled water at less than $1 a gallon - I prefer the lack of smell and chemicals as well as no nasties in my tank - alive or otherwise!

Cheers,
xena

Gillean

Post by Gillean » Thu May 03, 2012 2:22 pm

I have used tap water in the past as well (in a pinch). It definitely had a different smell (not quite chlorine... ammonia maybe?) but I was able to get through the night. As the others have said, as long as you clean out the deposits it shouldn't be an issue. The air is pulling water vapor off so any heavy elements will stay in the water container and settle out eventually.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Classic SleepCare wrote:Gasp is 100% correct! Distilled water is cheap, easy to obtain, lasts a long time and will give you peace of mind knowing that you are not deliberately inhaling anything that may have slid into the water supply let alone the additives that treatment plants put into it. Added bonus, you won't have to descale your tank every week!
You try hauling it 7 blocks along icy, snow covered sidewalks and streets in February while having pneumonia.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu May 03, 2012 4:27 pm

If you find yourself having to use city water, there are a couple of things that you can do to make your sleep more pleasurable.

Many systems use chlorine to disinfect the water. Chlorine can be removed from the water by letting it sit in an open container for 15 minutes or so. Also, if you can shake it up, it will leave quicker. Once you have done that, put the water in your humidifier tank and let the machine run a few minutes before you mask up. This will air things out and let you avoid the "chemical" smell.

Vitamin C will also neutralize the chlorine, but I don't know how much to use and don't know if breathing vitamin C water all night is a benefit or harmful.

Classic SleepCare

Post by Classic SleepCare » Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Classic SleepCare wrote:Gasp is 100% correct! Distilled water is cheap, easy to obtain, lasts a long time and will give you peace of mind knowing that you are not deliberately inhaling anything that may have slid into the water supply let alone the additives that treatment plants put into it. Added bonus, you won't have to descale your tank every week!
You try hauling it 7 blocks along icy, snow covered sidewalks and streets in February while having pneumonia.

Oh the irony! Do what you feel is best
Ryan Clynch
Territory Manager- San Diego

Email: ryanc@classicsleepcare.com

Classic Sleepcare LLC
30851 Agoura Road Suite 202
Agoura Hills, CA 91301

Corporate Office: 888-707-2454
Toll free fax 888-249-3875
http://www.classicsleepcare.com

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Tongue in cheek here: uphill both ways too, right? LOL Seriously I understand having lived in an area that was snowbound regularly. So I learned to stock up. : )

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Yet another argument for the home distiller.
--We need to build a home still for 'other' distillables.
My father-in-law made vodka during the war--taught my darling how to make all sorts of useful stuff.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu May 10, 2012 1:21 pm

I was topping off my distilled water in my tank nightly and washing monthly but I got a thin gray slimy film on the bottom of my tank. I empty it every morning now and let it dry out. I've used bottled water but never tap water. I don't even drink unfiltered tap water.

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu May 10, 2012 1:56 pm

I use distilled water in my tank, but first I use soapy tap water to clean my tank and to clean my nasal pillows. Then I rinse them both off with distilled water and fill the tank with distilled water.

Is this a mistake? Am I defeating the purpose of using distilled water by first cleaning the tank and the nasal pillows in soapy tap water?

Should I avoid tap water even for the basic cleaning step?

I would appreciate the opinions of those who fill with distilled water.

Thanks,

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Thu May 10, 2012 2:35 pm

I used to use tap water at home and I am on a well. I had to clean my chamber every few months but no big mineral build up or rust. About four months ago, the rust got real bad and I had to get a new chamber, I couldn't clean it. I actually went through two chambers as I also used an older one when the newer one went bad. I keep a chamber at the firehouse and have had that there For over two years. I use city tap water in that chamber and never had to clean it or replace it once.
Now with my new machine, I only use distilled water at home.

sol

Post by sol » Thu May 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Can germ pass from the humidifier to me ?

No, using a heated humidifier in line with your CPAP device will not cause you to become sick or give you germs. Fisher & Paykel Healthcare’s heated humidifiers are pass-over humidifiers that do not produce aerosols (the fine water droplets that are visible to the eye such as steam from a kettle). Pass-over humidifiers add moisture in the form of water vapor. Water vapor particles are smaller than bacteria or viruses so it is impossible for them to be transported up to the mask (and then to you). Even if pathogens (germs) were able to exist in the chamber, they would not be able to be transported to you. Refer to the diagram below which demonstrates the size of water vapor, bacteria and virus particles.
The important thing to remember is that all equipment (especially your mask) needs to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis, so that it does not become a desirable environment for bacteria to live and grow. Follow the cleaning instructions for all equipment to ensure proper hygiene and cleaning.
http://www.fphcare.com/osa/clinical-and ... qs.html#ns

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu May 17, 2012 10:23 am

NateS wrote:I use distilled water in my tank, but first I use soapy tap water to clean my tank and to clean my nasal pillows. Then I rinse them both off with distilled water and fill the tank with distilled water.

Is this a mistake? Am I defeating the purpose of using distilled water by first cleaning the tank and the nasal pillows in soapy tap water?

Should I avoid tap water even for the basic cleaning step?

I would appreciate the opinions of those who fill with distilled water.

Thanks,

Nate
I wash with tap and then air dry. The very small residue from the tap water left in the tank isn't a consideration for me. Then I fill my thoroughly air dried tank with distilled water. I have two tanks. One to air dry while the other is in use.