Hurricane season

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gizmogidget

Hurricane season

Post by Gizmogidget » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:23 pm

I live in Florida. I was wondering if there is anything extra I should do to prepare for hurricane season as a new cpap user. Thanks

BlackSpinner

Re: Hurricane season

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Gizmogidget wrote:I live in Florida. I was wondering if there is anything extra I should do to prepare for hurricane season as a new cpap user. Thanks
Back up battery
a second machine packed and ready to travel at a moments notice.
Water for humidifier

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:38 pm

I agree with BlackSpinner. I have a battery backup system plus a portable generator for the house and to charge my battery when needed.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

freshair

Post by freshair » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:53 pm

I have a snowbird residence in Fla and keep 2-35AH batteries plus a three panel set solar system from Harbor Freight that can be set up very quickly down there....I keep the panels in plastic storage containers to keep them dry (hopefully)....Sweetbay has the cheapest price on distilled water, so load up, also get a couple of gallons of vinegar=FA

Gizmogidget

Post by Gizmogidget » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:52 pm

That's a good point to stock up on distilled water. The battery thing is confusing to me. Any ideas on what would work for my machine? I'm also going o invest in a surge protector because we have a lot of thunderstorms at night here in Florida.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Question:
In case of an evacuation, can you use your CPAP in the shelter; or are you just S.O.L.?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Question:
In case of an evacuation, can you use your CPAP in the shelter; or are you just S.O.L.?
Good question. I would think yes, since it's a medical device.

Add to list, extension cord.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:09 pm

I use the battery to run my cpap machine at night when there is no power. I button up and ride it out. I went threw Ivan and the eastern edge of the eye wall was just 2 miles from the house as the crow fly's. Was a little rough but we made it OK.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm

I bought the Sears Jumpstarter 1250 that Gumby recommended, but I haven't tried it out on my xpap yet. If it doesn't work I'll deal with it when the time comes. It has worked well for everything else since I got it.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:58 pm

I also live in FL... I have a battery backup for my machine. Bought it from cpap.com. If you live in an evacuation area and need to leave your home, you may be eligible for a medical care shelter. We have one of those in my part of the county that takes those with special medical needs..... wheelchairs, oxygen, ventilators, etc. Check with your emergency management center. If you live in an area that is not an evacuation area, you should prepare your home to ride out the storm so a battery backup system is in order. I live too far inland to evacuate; in fact, the school in my neighborhood is an evacuation shelter for those coming in from outlying areas. I must remain at home so I have hurricane shutters, battery backup, and will have plenty of bottled water on hand for the season.

Luckily, they are predicting a fairly normal season this year..... but, as we know, it only takes one storm. I've been in FL for almost 38 years and have yet to deal with a major storm.... other than the remnants of those moving over the state.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:28 am

Battery Backup. You can use units from CPAP.com or some of those emergency batteries. Or you can make your own:

viewtopic.php?t=49115

Additionally, always carry an extension cord. And a plug splitter will allow you to share with someone else:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-detail ... uctid=9921

If you *must* have humidity as part of your therapy, you might want to have some distilled water set aside. You will NOT want to use tap water after a storm comes through the area.

Also, with all this stuff, it might be wise to have a box / plastic tub to hold all of this (and other emergency supplies).

Of course, if you have a generator you might be able to charge up the battery (most of your neighbors will frown on the generator running all night). Plus you will be able to save any frozen foods.

As a note, while I've never evacuated to an emergency shelter, even going to a friends house might (and did) require use of the extension cord.

Of course, don't go overboard with the emergency preparations. A little bit can make a huge difference. A lot of preparation does not make as much difference.

Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

back again for another day

Post by back again for another day » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:10 am

You need to get a couple of marine batteries that you can move around....go to "Batteries Plus" or any retailer that has marine batteries...john has some ideals... i have my own....everybody puts them together and makes one that is easy for them....i also hate gas generators......DONT let anyone talk you into getting a 100 amp battery...they are HEAVY=FA