How long do you think you could last without CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kody

Re: How long do you think you could last without CPAP?

Post by Kody » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:03 am

I don't know and don't want to find out. Before I got on the ASV, I was physically exhausted and mentally drained. The mental aspects of Sleep Apnea were really taking a major toll, depressed, irritable, no patience, and not thinking quickly or clearly. If I kept going down that road, would have probably ended up unemployed and divorced in Prison or a Mental Ward! .... Hopefully we will never loose our power grid, or I imagine there will be quite a few of us angry, irritable, crazy zombies wandering about, and that can't be good for anyone.
Complex Sleep Apnea

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:47 am

Kody wrote:I don't know and don't want to find out. Before I got on the ASV, I was physically exhausted and mentally drained. The mental aspects of Sleep Apnea were really taking a major toll, depressed, irritable, no patience, and not thinking quickly or clearly. If I kept going down that road, would have probably ended up unemployed and divorced in Prison or a Mental Ward! .... Hopefully we will never loose our power grid, or I imagine there will be quite a few of us angry, irritable, crazy zombies wandering about, and that can't be good for anyone.
I ditto your entire post Kody!! I'm beginning to think about one of those generators the size of a small automobile and about 500 gal. of diesel fuel. That ought to keep the little box running for a while. Now that's security!

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Suddenly Worn Out wrote:After having been on APAP/CPAP now for about five years and getting ready to go bipap, I have wondered something. I have realized how reliant I am on my sleep apnea gear. If I dont use it regularly, the following happen to me:

1) my blood pressure goes up
2) my eyes get real bloodshot
3) I get shortness of breath all day long
4) I get chest pains all day long despite not having a bad heart
5) I become so tired and fatigued I cannot function
6) I become super irritable
7) my cognition gets super bad
my mood deteriorates fast
9) I have all kinds of sleep problems to the severity I am not even going to begin to go into it here

Ive told people IRL, if for some reason I did not have access to my gear anymore on a permanent basis, Id give myself five years to live. Reason I say that is my blood pressure gets out of control so bad it becomes ridiculous and I figure I'd stroke out or have a heart attack or some kind of cardio-respiratory emergency. If you are one of these people like myself who has found your life DEPENDS upon sleep apnea gear (and compliance), and for some reason your gear was taken away or could not afford it or something anymore. How long do you think you'd last? A year? Five years? Indefinite?

Worn Out
i think i'd last for the rest of my life without it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:27 pm

First of all, I wouldn't be able to sleep. Instant apnea. Wonder how I got along without it all those years. Not now.

Then, without sleep, I would not function the next day.

By about 3 days, I would be finished.

I just can't get along without sleep.

Catnapper - Joanie