Devilbiss Heated Humidifiers - Overheating?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newforumuser

Devilbiss Heated Humidifiers - Overheating?

Post by newforumuser » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Longtime user looking at new machines.

Called Devilbiss today to find DME suppliers who carry these machines in Ontario, Canada. They seem to have a well thought out design, but they appear to be very under represented here.

Devilbiss supplied me with several DME names and numbers.

The first one I called said they had stopped stocking Devilbiss machines a year ago because patients were having problems with heated humidifiers overheating and passing smoke into the patient's airway.

He added that despite not having sold any of the machines for a year, previously sold machines were still coming back and being sent to Devilbiss for repair.

He went on to recommend other brands.

This shocked me somewhat, and I have searched but am unable to find any mention of overheating/smoke problems with Devilbiss Units.

So, how about it?

Anyone here had or heard of any problems?

Thanks in advance

jmcanzo

Re: Devilbiss Heated Humidifiers - Overheating?

Post by jmcanzo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Mine is going on 3 yrs... it works perfectly, no smoke..LOL Also the Devilbiss have one of the longest warranties 3 yrs. I think the DME was pulling your hose.
Even if it did somehow overheat I can't see how it would pass any smoke to you. The chamber is heated from below and heats a metal plate in the chamber, the chamber is full of water, so unless it boiled the water away and completely melted, there would be no way for smoke to get thru the hose, if that happened the air would all leak out and never even get to the hose. I know I have not pushed it all the way in and all the air comes out from around it. The air only flows thru the chamber, not a heating element

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Sounds like that DME was related to my first one (that I fired before I even got one thing from them) only they told me that Phillips Respironics machines were crap and they wouldn't supply one but they would be happy to supply the "best" one that they offered which happened to be the most basic of F & P machines. They didn't know that I knew my machine models. I told them no thanks and I took my mask business elsewhere and bought my Respironics APAP privately for less money than my insurance copay and zero hassle. I do use a DME for masks and he didn't care one bit I bought my machine elsewhere. In fact..told me that the machine I bought was an excellent machine and didn't blame me one bit.

There are lemons with any brand of machine..things happen but DeVilbiss has an excellent machine with minimal complaints I am sure.
Can't please everyone all the time though.
If it happened....none of those DeVillbiss users ever made their way here to this forum. I don't recall ever reading about that sort of problem with DeVillbiss machines. Doesn't mean it didn't happen but I don't recall any such mention of it here.

Did you ask which brand AND model they do suggest and have had a good history with?

Last edited by Pugsy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

newforumuser

Post by newforumuser » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I can assure you that this individual was not joking, and I don't wish to defend what he said.

Nevertheless, I can assure you that smoke, particulates and odours (Canadian spelling) can be blown through a cpap machine - either from internal component failure, or by being drawn through the intake.

I have experienced this myself.

Please understand that I did not ask the question to enter a debate, but to seek the experience of other users.

I have been encouraged toward various brands by different DME reps over the years and have heard anecdotes about reliabilty here and there, but nothing like this.

Thanks

newforumuser

Post by newforumuser » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Pugsy, thanks for replying.

He did recommend other machines - without being asked:

Both Resmed and Respironics auto units, and he expressed a personal preference for Respironics.

Still, I don't want to let this thread drift; I like the Devilbiss machine design-wise, and am seeking user experience.

Thanks again.

mayondair

Post by mayondair » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I have an Intellipap Auto for a back up, I use it mostly for naps and travel, had it almost 2 years, no trouble at all, a nice machine, IMHO. Kathy
Any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you don't break your airplane it's excellent.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:01 pm

We have a few DeVillbiss users here.
Emilia (that's her forum name) is usually up on stuff and she might have heard something.
We really don't have a huge market share of Devillbiss users here to draw upon.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Try to get one of the new Devilbiss units.
The company is beginning to roll out a 5 year warranty--instead of the 3-year warranty.
Availability may vary, of course.

IndyDave

Post by IndyDave » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 pm

I bought a Devilbiss Intellipap S bilevel a month ago. No problems at all - and its very quiet. I really have to listen to hear it running above the sound of my breathing and the slight white noise his from the exaust vent.

As Chunkyfrog said - All units sold past March 1 of this year now come with a 5 year warranty! From what I saw most other manufacturers offer 2 year. Also you can set the minimum pressure down to 3, where on a lot of machines it's 4 cm H2O. One thing to watch for - the data card collector is a separate unit that plugs into the back, so if you want full data, you need to make sure they include that. The machine alone has a built in "smart code" that lets you enter into the Devilbiss website to get some basic stats - you can get daily, weekly average or monthly average I sprang for the Smartlink module and started using that on Monday. Gives out nice reports you can pass on back to your doctor.

My only experience is with this machine, but I have no regrets on choosing it so far.

newforumuser

Post by newforumuser » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Chunkyfrog;

That's what I was trying to do. I particularly like the feature set for the new auto bi-level machine but it doesn't seem to be available here yet, and I'd have to seek a prescription change.

Availability is thin here too. I got three names and numbers, all based in what we call the "greatertorrawnntoarea."

That in itself is discouraging at these gas prices.

Thanks again.

IndyDave

Post by IndyDave » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 pm

You didn't say if you are buying out of pocket, or if its covered by Canadian healthcare - but CPAPSupplyUSA.com is selling the unit with the smarlink module and software right now for about $600 on sale - that's about $400 less than I paid for my full setup, which I got for about $200 cheaper than the normal prices out there. I don't know if they export, or what the duty might be, but if you are buying on your own, it's probably worth checking at that price.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm

I've been using my DeVilbiss Intellipap Auto since the end of August 2010 without missing a night..... It has performed flawlessly, and I use my humidifier almost every night. Since you have faith in the DME who told you this, I won't try to persuade you otherwise, but remember a business is a business and the fact remains that he would make a much larger profit from selling you a PR or ResMed machine over the considerably less expensive DeVilbiss. However, less expensive doesn't = less effective/reliable. The Intellipap is a very well made machine and is a little workhorse as far as I am concerned.

Whatever machine you chose to get.... best of luck to you. BTW: we actually have a DeVilbiss marketing rep as a forum member here... she uses the name DeVilbiss Marketing and is very helpful. Feel free to send her a PM and ask about humidifier issues.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

jimnsc

Post by jimnsc » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:16 am

I love mine and just as information, the Smartlink software updated this morning to 2.5.1 and it looks like an improvement over the 2.4.1 which was already good. I agree with the poster who suggested you may have had your hose pulled by the DME with shelves full of what he sells. Wait, would a sales person really pull your leg? I use my humidifier daily and no problems.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:42 am

I was the first to detect a deceased rodent in our furnace duct,
due to the fact that the vent is right below my nightstand.
What a lovely fragrance to wake up to!
I put an incense cone next to the intake (unlit) until the little bugger dried up.
You don't want to tear apart the furnace, etc. if you don't have to. $$$$$

Super Iridium

Post by Super Iridium » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:47 am

I've been using my Devilbiss Intellipap Auto as a backup, and it works perfectly. In fact, the humidifier works a little too well, so I keep it on a pretty low setting most times.

Not sure if the DME was giving you truthful information, because if there was a problem like a CPAP machine causing smoke to go into a patient's lungs, there would be information about it everywhere. Anyway, I also have the Phillips Respironics System One Auto, and it happens to be a great machine too. You really can't go wrong with either one, no matter what the DME is telling you.