Why is it so much harder to breathe with CPAP mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Why is it so much harder to breathe with CPAP mask?

Post by Guest » Wed May 30, 2012 1:33 am

Don't know if you're still reading answers on this question, but your pressure is probably too low.
The first consultant and that I got with always going to have my pressure such a low-level because she didn't want to imposes any discomfort with me, however this lead to me feeling the same as you starved for air.... my starting pressure is now 15 with a max of 20. When I started around 3 to 5 my standard inhale breath was closer to a 10.

Matt2h

Post by Matt2h » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:15 am

Same.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:58 am

I have had the same feelings of "not enough air".

While it seems like a cpap machine would force air in making it easier at all times, they can seem to restrict volume under certain conditions. While they can pressurize the air and force it through a tube and mask apparatus, that is still a restriction. Meaning when volume demand goes up, they don't fully keep up unless you raise the minimum pressure. So, when you are using a bit more air than when truly sleeping, like when you go to bed or get back in bed after a bathroom break, it does feel a bit like you are not getting enough air. I raised my min to 5 which did help. I deal with it pretty good there. I take a few deep breaths to settle me back down. I will say that some masks and or pillow sizes certainly seem to give the effect of getting more air also.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

Zombie thread

This thread is 6yrs old

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:21 pm

So that means the same people were here 6 years ago?

No one new to pick up something that relates to them?
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)